• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament: Nominations (ABOUT TO START)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Nominating:

Redline
Heavy use of blacks and character designs has a retro quality, but still manages to feel cool and current.
Redline Clip Youtube

It isn't specified, but isn't this tournament limited to "series" anime?
It seems to me that movies and specials might have an unfair advantage due to their budgets and lack of time constraints. Redline took years to make and afforded the makers to be perfectionists. Series, even most OVA, work on a schedule and are not afforded the same freedoms as films and specials.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I'm supporting EVA and all of Space Dandy.

I think you need to bold the word "supporting" rather than the show titles. Also your nominations lack pictures.

Vote for: Soul Eater, Nichijou

You want...pictures?

There, you got your pictures! Want more? Very Happy

Its part of the Nomination guidelines to include pics or videos in the Nomination post. You may want to go back and edit your original post and insert those pics.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Nominating:

Redline
Heavy use of blacks and character designs has a retro quality, but still manages to feel cool and current.
Redline Clip Youtube

It seems to me that movies and specials might have an unfair advantage due to their budgets and lack of time constraints. Redline took years to make and afforded the makers to be perfectionists. Series, even most OVA, work on a schedule and are not afforded the same freedoms as films and specials.

I would say that polished is not the same thing as creativity. Having an interesting polished look is well and all, but I would also say that a show whose style adds to or supports its content maybe more visually interesting. Polished by itself is not the same as daring or different. A show also may have more time to make an impression than a movie, which is also an advantage. A show may incorporate numerous styles do to its length, whereas a movie may be constrained to a single style in order to maintain consistency throughout the work. I would also say that not all anime movies and specials are daring or well polished.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I'm supporting EVA and all of Space Dandy.

I think you need to bold the word "supporting" rather than the show titles. Also your nominations lack pictures.

Vote for: Soul Eater, Nichijou

You want...pictures?

There, you got your pictures! Want more? Very Happy

Its part of the Nomination guidelines to include pics or videos in the Nomination post. You may want to go back and edit your original post and insert those pics.

I did. They're right there. If you want more...

Soul Eater:
Well, here's Soul and Maka's first fight in the series. This one's against Jack the Ripper.

FLCL:
And this one's the fight scene between Amarao and Haruko. Sorry for the crappy quality.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:

Hidamari Sketch (franchise)
Some forget that this show began as the precursor to Shaft's more "serious" shows and it was the tricks used here that became noticed in shows such as Bakemonogatari and Madoka. Such elements as heavy use of symbols as characters, mix of realism and cartoon, characters outlines, Title cards and unique conventions to convey nonverbal information, a pop art aesthetic that mixes the funny pages with the shading conventions of the like of Roy Lichtenstein, characters that transform from cartoon to even more super deformed, stark heavy line art that focuses heavily on weighted compositional balance. It is a show about young artists which uses youthful art as a means to tell its story. But what really makes this show DARING is the type of show it is. This is no "serious" show with a shocking premise, it really is the most mundane of premises, it is a Slice of Life show about cute girls doing cute things. It is not something you expect to be a visual feast, yet it is, without being so obtrusive in its artful presentation to distract from the humor.
Yuno's Fever Dream (captions can be turned on and off on this video)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I did. They're right there.

You have to edit them into your original post. Just look at what everyone else is doing.

Supporting: Hidamari Sketch.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Nominating:

Redline
Redline Clip Youtube

I would say that polished is not the same thing as creativity. Having an interesting polished look is well and all, but I would also say that a show whose style adds to or supports its content maybe more visually interesting. Polished by itself is not the same as daring or different. A show also may have more time to make an impression than a movie, which is also an advantage. A show may incorporate numerous styles do to its length, whereas a movie may be constrained to a single style in order to maintain consistency throughout the work. I would also say that not all anime movies and specials are daring or well polished.

I worry that eventually people will start arguing about the "quality of the animation" though, and if it gains traction it becomes a hindrance for series television.

And lets face it, the best TV series can't really compare to the variety of something seriously trippy like Angels Egg, Cat Soup, or my personal favorite, Tamala 2010.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

No, it's not at all limited to series anime.

I don't even really think that movies are even being favored at all here, since at a glance, the things that have garnered the most votes so far have been series. Most of my favorite animation is in series as well.

Akane the Catgirl, can you edit your links into your nomination post? This thread will eventually get pretty long and I'm linking to all the nomination posts in the OP, so everyone can find everything.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:
Space Dandy
Kemonozume
Soul Eater
FLCL
Nichijou
Redline
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Bobby's In Deep
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I worry that eventually people will start arguing about the "quality of the animation" though, and if it gains traction it becomes a hindrance for series television.

And lets face it, the best TV series can't really compare to the variety of something seriously trippy like Angels Egg, Cat Soup, or my personal favorite, Tamala 2010.

I think you have a valid concern, but that could be a concern of any tournament and this tourney isn't specifically about the "quality of animation". Plus, I think that the job of the tournament moderator is to make sure things don't get hung up on one specific quality. I also think that there are plenty of tournament regulars that wouldn't let it get that far, like yourself! Smile

I would also respond that Ping-Pong the anime has one episode left and I plan to nominate it. However, plenty of people dropped it after the first episode and I saw some comments where people said they dropped it within the first couple of minutes. Flowers of Evil has been brought up and while I think it deserves a place in this tournament, plus it was brave on the part of the creators to choose its particular style, I wasn't all ga-ga for it visually. My point? People have different tastes and tolerances. Some love the look of Gankutsuou others make derisive comments about it. I think the same can be said for movies. It may look "trippy" but will it appeal visually to a wide audience? Maybe, maybe not.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't see animation on a sliding scale from 'good' to 'bad'. There are a lot of dimensions and lot of way that animation can be interesting, and talking about what those are and why they're meaningful is part of what I want out of this tournament. Like I said, there are a great many ways in which things can be visually interesting, some of them animation related, and some of them not. I personally tend to like things that are pushing the limit in an animation style and motion depiction way, rather than things that are 'trippy' for the sake of it, but others disagree, so obviously I'm not going to bar them from being nominated and voted for.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
Supporting

Mononoke
Tsuritama
Evangelion
Gatchaman Crowds
FLCL
Redline
Lupin III : The Woman called Fujiko Mine
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
I've been away for a few days but I am very excited about this tournament.

Here's some supporting votes:

- Soul Eater
- FLCL (this is the only tournament I can see myself voting for that thing)

Also, I thought this would have been nominated by now but since it isn't, I'll NOMINATE it.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

This show has two dramatically different styles and the contrast between them is not only visually interesting but also adds to some of the shows main themes.

The most daring style is the world of the witches, where pretty much anything can and does happen. From the backgrounds to the witches designs, everything in these scenes lets you know that the cuteness and relative safety of the real world is gone and insanity reigns.

Throughout the witches realms are words written in a code, the translation of which was eventually figured out by fans.

Because the witch world really needs to be in motion to be fully appreciates, here's a clip of the battle against Gertrud from episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARhHq-aw5DI

(if anyone is able to find a version of this clips with subs, it would be appreciated, my quick search didn't find anything).

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I haven't gotten a chance to do this yet so, I'm Supporting:
Bobby's in Deep
Mononoke
Kemozoume
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Soul Eater
Nichijou
Redline

And I'm going to nominate
Cromartie High School

The entire series is clearly designed to look a good bit like Fist of the North Star including Raoh's horse being ridden by Freddie quite often. Most everyone looks kind of like they were from a serious hardboiled high school fight gang manga of old (including children, Maeda's mom, and Freddie Mercury), and everyone who is supposed to be in high school looks like they're at least thirty. But strange things will happen in the background at all times. Teacups will change sizes at random between shots, things will scurry, characters faces will stretch as they speak, Hayashida's mohawk will move all on its own (and the reflection will purposely not match the actual hair), people will grow mullets suddenly, Yamaguchi's afro will move, aliens will appear, there's almost always something weird going on in the background and backgrounds can be incredibly strange and have nothing to do with what is going on at hand.

Cellphone
Pets
The autograph

Sexy Commando

Madhouse, known for great animation, purposely went all over the place with this series. Characters will look normal one second and then look like they were drawn by a kindergartener the next. Strange backgrounds are common, random non-sequiters are common, it's quite similar to Cromartie High at times.

Baseball
Secret attack
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Now additionally supporting:

Madoka Magica

Now additionally nominating:

Cowboy Bebop:

Most of the aestheticism in this anime comes from the beautiful cinematography. If you want proof...
Well, here's the famous "Green Bird" scene from Session Five: Ballad of Fallen Angels.

I don't think I need to make my case anymore.

Attack on Titan:

HOLD ON! Let me explain! While it is common consensus that Hajime Isayama cannot draw, they managed to clean that all up for the anime adaptation. The style is unique, the backgrounds are beautifully drawn, the cinematography is fantastic, and do I need to say that the monsters look really good?

By the way, here's the trailer for the English dub. This showcases scenes such as Colossal Titan's attack during the first episode, the aftermath of a Titan attack, and small moments where the editing and cinematography shine.

Last edited by Akane the Catgirl on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9