• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Zombie-Loan, Shin Mazinger Z Impact

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Shin Mazinger, F yeah! Seriously, more people need to see this awesome show.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news as far as Shin Mazinger itself goes. I really enjoyed Imagawa's take on the property. It's a bit unfortunate that the release schedule seems so far away, but I'll be sure to pre-order it early on.

I currently have no interest or experience with Zombie Loan though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Shin Mazinger? Eff yeah. Buying the crap out of that.

ROKETTO PANCHI!

Imagawa doesn't get enough love... anywhere!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Zombie Loan is incredibly mediocre in every respect and Shin Mazinger, despite having an excellent theme song and fun retro-throwback art, is one of the most clumsily-written, plothole-filled shows I've ever seen.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
clumsily-written, plothole-filled shows I've ever seen.

Name one plothole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Shin Mazinger Z will Impact my dvd watching next year. I love that it will arrive after the release of the Entire original series. The score is excellent and one of the better current Go Nagai Super Robot Anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE DISCOTEK!!! I've been hoping that Zombie-loan would get licensed ever since I watched it about five years ago. I had despaired of it ever happening. Good ole Discotek. No title is ever beyond the realm of possibility as long as these wonderful peeps are around.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AsherFischell wrote:

Name one plothole.

spoiler[Dr. Hell's plan. As we're shown at the end, Dr. Hell was trying to save the world from the Mycanaen invaders all along. The big problem with this is the fact that his actions throughout the entire series don't jibe with this at all. It would have been extremely simple for him to explain what was going on, but instead he just does a bunch of bad-guy stuff the entire time. He tries to invade the world by using a cadre of obvious villains and never once tries to reach out to the very people he should have been working with instead of fighting. It's a plot twist that exists just to have a plot twist. It changes the entire nature of the story without really making any sort of sense simply to rip-off one of Gurren Lagann's big twists.

Also, Baron Ashura. It shows that Dr. Hell lied about Tristan and Isolde being rotted and instead decided to melt half of their bodies because he thought it would be easier to control them like that instead of both of them being separate entities. Why didn't he just melt one of them? Even though he put them together, they still somehow existed as two beings. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just have one around?]

Last edited by AsherFischell on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Thus, all of my hopes for a Zombie-Loan English dub are officially crushed.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
@AsherFischell: That first bit made plenty of sense to me the way I see it Dr. Hell was basically spoiler[Pulling a Bian Zoldark, In that he felt the world as it was couldn't handle the Mycanaen invaders so he decided to take over and go his own way.]

Of course also keep in mind spoiler[Dr. Hell remains Dr. Hell, He -wants- to rule the world with an Iron fist, he just has a ulterior motive now. A good motive doesn't make him any less of a villain]

This is admittedly speculation but since we never got the baited sequel it's the best I can offer.

as for spoiler[Baron Ashura] I've got two possible explanations in universe. spoiler[Either Killing one would bring the Mycanaen invaders since their death was the trigger] or spoiler[again Dr. Hell simply enjoyed playing god (or a combination of the two)]

Of course it's rather editorial mandate that spoiler[Baron Ashura] be included

Last edited by Sume Gai on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Whoo, Discotek is definitely on fire picking these titles up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
AsherFischell wrote:

Name one plothole.

spoiler[Dr. Hell's plan. As we're shown at the end, Dr. Hell was trying to save the world from the Mycanaen invaders all along. The big problem with this is the fact that his actions throughout the entire series don't jibe with this at all. It would have been extremely simple for him to explain what was going on, but instead he just does a bunch of bad-guy stuff the entire time. He tries to invade the world by using a cadre of obvious villains and never once tries to reach out to the very people he should have been working with instead of fighting. It's a plot twist that exists just to have a plot twist. It changes the entire nature of the story without really making any sort of sense simply to rip-off one of Gurren Lagann's big twists.

Also, Baron Ashura. It shows that Dr. Hell lied about Tristan and Isolde being rotted and instead decided to melt half of their bodies because he thought it would be easier to control them like that instead of both of them being separate entities. Why didn't he just melt one of them? Even though he put them together, they still somehow existed as two beings. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just have one around?]

You have seen Yasuhiro Imagawa's other super robot anime Giant Robo and G Gundam right? That twist is in all of his series. The only reason Getter Robo Armageddon didn't have it was because Imagawa was kicked off the show after 3 episodes, and Imagawa forbid them from using his ideas.

Considering that both G Gundam and Giant Robo are two of the greatest mecha series ever created. This is a must buy from me. Going to pre-order it once we get closer to the release.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:
@AsherFischell: That first bit made plenty of sense to me the way I see it Dr. Hell was basically spoiler[Pulling a Bian Zoldark, In that he felt the world as it was couldn't handle the Mycanaen invaders so he decided to take over and go his own way.]

Of course also keep in mind spoiler[Dr. Hell remains Dr. Hell, He -wants- to rule the world with an Iron fist, he just has a ulterior motive now. A good motive doesn't make him any less of a villain]

This is admittedly speculation but since we never got the baited sequel it's the best I can offer.

as for spoiler[Baron Ashura] I've got two possible explanations in universe. spoiler[Either Killing one would bring the Mycanaen invaders since their death was the trigger] or spoiler[again Dr. Hell simply enjoyed playing god (or a combination of the two)]

Of course it's rather editorial mandate that spoiler[Baron Ashura] be included

spoiler[ That villain trope is just lazy writing, though. "He's bad, so he has to do bad things" isn't so much of a justification as it is an afterthought. Since the main crux of his actions were meant to stop the invasion, it simply doesn't make any sense for him to keep it a big secret and then go about risking his entire plan to fight the only people who could've really helped him.

As for the Ashura thing, it's stated in the series that it isn't Tristan and Isolde's deaths that trigger the end, but their suicides, which was why Dr. Hell programmed them to not be able to kill themselves. If they had just died normally, it wouldn't have happened. Also, the very fact that we have to grasp at straws for Dr. Hell's intentions regarding one of the biggest plot points demonstrates that it's a plothole."
]
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm neutral about Zombie-Loan, but I am ecstatic about Shin Mazinger's license. Yeah, I'd have preferred a BD release as well, but there's no doubt that the DVDs will still be based on the BDs, so it should still look amazing. That is an absolutely awesome pick up from Discotek.

Blood- wrote:
No title is ever beyond the realm of possibility as long as these wonderful peeps are around.

I wish this was true, though. Unfortunately, there are titles that even Discotek, or at least Selby (the head), aren't exactly considering. I asked Selby last year at Otakon if he would consider doing other Masami Kurumada titles since Saint Seiya TV got picked up by Cinedigm, and his answer was "Probably not". When I asked why that was Selby's answer was essentially "Because it's Seiya, you know?"

While I love the honesty he showed me, it still disappointed me, because it showed me that even Discotek "plays it safe".
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy for the fans. It's always awesome when a a long-shot gets a release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4