• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Zombie-Loan, Shin Mazinger Z Impact

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian, I agree, the new Jeeg is excellent. I would love to see Ufo Robo Grendizer arrive on region 1 Dvd or blu ray.
Darkshader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Discotek just need to license all the classic super robots. My recommendations ....

1. Combattler V
2. Voltes V
3. Daimos
4. Mazinger Z (all series)
5. Mechander Robo
6. Getter Robo
7. UFO Robot Grendizer
8. Laserion
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
I would love to see Ufo Robo Grendizer arrive on region 1 Dvd or blu ray.
Well UFO Robot Grendizer is currently available on region 1 DVD, but so far, only the French language version of it (called "Goldorak - Le Robot de L'Espace" or simply "Goldorak") is on Region 1 DVD.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Stararnold, Thank you for the update. However I do not speak french. Next year is Grendizer's 40th Anniversary.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Darkshader, Shout Factory already will have released all of Mazinger Z by late December. Maybe they will release all of Great Mazinger in one set. I would have thought Getter Robo would have been released by now, as all 3 sequel series Armageddon, New Getter Robo, and vs Shin Getter all have been released in the US and Getter Robo G aka Force Five Starvengers aired in the US for years. I saw both Voltes V and Daimos on cable and they were released on video too. Both are Awesome.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:

and never once tries to reach out to the very people he should have been working with instead of fighting.

What? That's simply false. Dr.Hell made an appeal to Juuzo, not once, but TWICE.

The first appeal was in episode 20, when Dr.Hell put Juuzo in charge of the last army he had.

The second appeal was through Ashura in episode 4.

Juuzo refused on both counts.

That's no plothole.

AsherFischell wrote:

The problem with that line of thinking is that the direction of the overall plot completely changed from the original Mazinger. Dr. Hell had a completely different backstory and a different major obstacle.

And why is this a problem? Shin Mazinger is not a remake of the original tv production.

Ota's Mazinger Z manga , Nagai's Mazinger Z manga, the Mazinger Z anime tv series all had different backstories. For example, in Ota's manga, Dr.Hell had a shitty childhood and later fell in love with Juuzo's girlfriend and wife. This jealousy caused him to join the Nazis much later. None of this is in Shin Mazinger.

He explained it pretty clear to you. Dr.Hell's main objective is to conquer the world and as a secondary objective, he was to repel the Mycenaean. Like I said above, he tried to get Juuzo on his side twice, and it didn't work. So he figured out he's just going to do both at the same time on his own.

Regarding your queries about why he didn't tell anyone about the incoming Mycenaean. Why the fudge would he after he got denied twice? Telling his enemies anything could about the upcoming threat might can actually hurt world conquest plans. Let's say Juuzo and Dr.Hell actually allied, they share resources and they defeat the Mycenaean. What comes next? Dr.Hell still wants his world conquest which has been his primary motivation from the start. However, trying to do that after Juuzo allied with him can prove to be even more difficult. Now, Juuzo has access to his resources, materials, an army. Instead of going through all of that, he thought he could deal with them both in a single swipe, and that was his mistake, because he couldn't. Make no mistake, world conquest has been his primary motivation throughout the show. Episode 3:

If he didn't get it, he would rather let the World perish at the hands of the Mycenaean.
Episode 1:
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If you "fixed" my original message than you are missing my point. My point is that nobody was whining about how DVD was unwatchable when it first came out. As I say, I can't wait until the same present day Blu-ray enthusiasts earnestly explain why Blu-rays are unwatchable once the next gen thing comes out.

And I'm sure very few people except cinephiles complained when VHS, Beta, and Laserdisc were all new and wondrous. Yeah, dual-layer remastered video DVDs were great and new to us 12 years ago, but now BD is better, and what comes after will be better still, and we won't be hypocrites for saying how lame BD has become.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you'll just be marketing-enslaved dolts for buying the hype. Like I say, I acknowledge BDs superiority over DVD, it's just that as a non-idiot, that doesn't translate into, "zomg, now DVDs are unwatchable!"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Unwatchable? No, I borrow and watch DVDs regularly. Unbuyable? Sure, I'd rather spend my money on something with more longevity once 4k TVs become affordable in the near future. And believe you me, a 4k TV and a 4/8k delivery method for Lawrence, Ben-hur, Grand-Prix, 2001, and Mutiny (and some day, Exodus) among others will make upgrading again worth it. Now only if they could give us a TV with the proper curvature for Cinerama, not that pathetic set Samsung has now.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What? That's simply false. Dr.Hell made an appeal to Juuzo, not once, but TWICE.

He asked him to join him in world domination. When I mentioned how he didn't "reach out to the very people he should have been working with" I was referring to how he didn't tell the people he was busy fighting anything about the incoming invasion.

Quote:
And why is this a problem? Shin Mazinger is not a remake of the original tv production.

You're taking my statement out of context. I said "The problem with that line of thinking is that the direction of the overall plot completely changed from the original Mazinger. Dr. Hell had a completely different backstory and a different major obstacle" in response to Sume Gai's point that Dr. Hell's motivations and intentions were irrelevant because they were the same as they had been in previous incarnations.

Quote:
Regarding your queries about why he didn't tell anyone about the incoming Mycenaean. Why the fudge would he after he got denied twice? Telling his enemies anything could about the upcoming threat might can actually hurt world conquest plans.

I don't really think that's an acceptable answer. He decided to tell literally no one because ONE GUY didn't want to join him? At any rate, I was speaking specifically about him working with Kouji, Tsubasa and company. Not building an army together, just teaming up to stop the invasion.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:

You're taking my statement out of context. I said "The problem with that line of thinking is that the direction of the overall plot completely changed from the original Mazinger. Dr. Hell had a completely different backstory and a different major obstacle" in response to Sume Gai's point that Dr. Hell's motivations and intentions were irrelevant because they were the same as they had been in previous incarnations.

Point taken. Dr.Hell is different in every incarnation.

Quote:

He asked him to join him in world domination. When I mentioned how he didn't "reach out to the very people he should have been working with" I was referring to how he didn't tell the people he was busy fighting anything about the incoming invasion.

Because as I've explained earlier, it brings out more problems than it solves. He still has to deal with them later, and it will be more difficult if he's teaming up with them.

Quote:

I don't really think that's an acceptable answer. He decided to tell literally no one because ONE GUY didn't want to join him?

That ONE GUY was Juuzo. Juuzo had the knowledge and the skills and would have proven to be a very valuable asset if Dr.Hell managed to get him on his side.

Quote:
At any rate, I was speaking specifically about him working with Kouji, Tsubasa and company. Not building an army together, just teaming up to stop the invasion.

If he got refused twice by Juuzo, why should he tell the rest of his allies like Tsubasa and Kouji about the upcoming invasion? They wouldn't team up in any case. Do you realize that it was his dearest student, Tsubasa was the one who first saw through his plans long before and proceeded to betray him? Why would he team up with her again? Your rationale makes no sense.

Kouji? If you listen to the narrator in episode 1, you will understand that even if Kouji knew of the upcoming Mycenaean invasion, he would still choose to beat both one after the other, not team up with Dr.Hell.

So really, there's absolutely ZERO reason for Dr.Hell to even give that information to them. In fact, giving them that info can actually hurt. I'm not talking about building an army together; the army is already built. However, it's inevitable that they'll have to share some of the resources, strategies and tactics together to repel the Mycenaean invasion if they decide to team up. Once Dr.Hell is done with them, he'll have to find a solution to get rid of them. Easier said than done, when you've already got someone who can see through you on your team.

Again, no plothole.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I'm impressed that you were able to find all of those specific screens so fast. Have you watched the show very recently or is your memory just that good?

Quote:
Because as I've explained earlier, it brings out more problems than it solves. He still has to deal with them later, and it will be more difficult if he's teaming up with them.

But I'm still not convinced that teaming up with them would've made it harder for him outside of your Juuzo scenario.

Quote:
That ONE GUY was Juuzo. Juuzo had the knowledge and the skills and would have proven to be a very valuable asset if Dr.Hell managed to get him on his side.

That doesn't change the fact that he was still the ONLY guy. Dr. Hell is a genius. What sort of genius sees something happen with a single person and uses that as a basis to decide that it will happen with all other people?

Quote:
Why would he team up with her again? Your rationale makes no sense.

Why? I dunno. Maybe because this time the ENTIRE WORLD was at stake if they did nothing. Does Tsubasa seem like the sort of person who'd say, "Yeah, that guy's bad news. However, I'd rather the entire world get annihilated than entertain the notion of a temporary ceasefire."

Quote:
Kouji? If you listen to the narrator in episode 1, you will understand that even if Kouji knew of the upcoming Mycenaean invasion, he would still choose to beat both one after the other, not team up with Dr.Hell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't episode one take place before the invasion is revealed? By that line of logic, the Kouji that the narrator is talking about didn't even know about the invasion. I think that line is only referring to his final battle with Dr. Hell, not the aftermath of it.

That reminds me of another plothole. It's revealed later on that Kenzo is still alive and had been controlled by Dr. Hell for the majority of the story. However, a while before Tsubasa reunites with him, we know that he had regained his senses, helped the inspector and re-programmed the Gamia. Since Kenzo knew what would happen if Dr. Hell died, seeing as he even warned Tsubasa as he was dying, why didn't he warn the inspector and have him pass on the message? Why did he wait until he was dying in order to share extremely important, time-sensitive information with his associates?
SantaBla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Wow. I'm impressed that you were able to find all of those specific screens so fast. Have you watched the show very recently or is your memory just that good?

I watched the show several times.

Quote:

But I'm still not convinced that teaming up with them would've made it harder for him outside of your Juuzo scenario.

I've pointed out why I think it would be more difficult for him given the circumstances of the show. Let's bring up another point down here:
Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that he was still the ONLY guy. Dr. Hell is a genius. What sort of genius sees something happen with a single person and uses that as a basis to decide that it will happen with all other people?

You're missing very important piece of info here. Dr.Hell is not a robot engineer, Juuzo is. Dr.Hell is a biochemist (He revived Ashura and Brocken). If Juuzo joined him, he would literally complement him by letting him work on the mechanical beasts. They're not the same genius. Kenzo Kabuto too is a robot engineer, which is why Dr.Hell also wanted him on his side.

Quote:

Why? I dunno. Maybe because this time the ENTIRE WORLD was at stake if they did nothing. Does Tsubasa seem like the sort of person who'd say, "Yeah, that guy's bad news. However, I'd rather the entire world get annihilated than entertain the notion of a temporary ceasefire."

Tsubasa didn't know of the invasion. Dr.Hell knew she was trouble, preferred not to tell her anything.

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't episode one take place before the invasion is revealed? By that line of logic, the Kouji that the narrator is talking about didn't even know about the invasion. I think that line is only referring to his final battle with Dr. Hell, not the aftermath of it.

You're wrong. Episode 1 has two parts. The first part, which consists like 5 mins is the introduction where the Daishogun has already come down to earth. The rest of episode 1 with all the scenes from the entire show is what you're referring to. My screenshot is from the first part of it, not the second.

Quote:

That reminds me of another plothole. It's revealed later on that Kenzo is still alive and had been controlled by Dr. Hell for the majority of the story. However, a while before Tsubasa reunites with him, we know that he had regained his senses, helped the inspector and re-programmed the Gamia. Since Kenzo knew what would happen if Dr. Hell died, seeing as he even warned Tsubasa as he was dying, why didn't he warn the inspector and have him pass on the message? Why did he wait until he was dying in order to share extremely important, time-sensitive information with his associates?

Except he did tell Ankokuji.

Check episode 26:

In episode 23, Ankokuji went on to plan the counterattack with Dr.Yumi.

However, when Ankokuji came back from Germany, he had no idea that Tsubasa allied with Ashura. It wasn't until episode 26 that he knew about the alliance because it was sworn in secrecy in the pillar (also revealed in episode 26). When he realized it, he freaked out as shown above,
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Fixed that for a more accurate comparison. Yeah, DVD might upscale well, but it's still a word of difference when a 35mm film goes in for a remaster. If they do a good job, it's incomparable with what's been out before. The major reason DVD still works for many is because they're just shrunken down versions of the HD master. I watch DVDs all the time, upscaled on my BD player onto the TV too, but I'm only going to ever buy BDs from now on.

Then don't complain when niche products don't get brought over here and instead Funimation brings over "I cant believe my Sister's breast implants are so big" because the guys who are into that type of thing don't demand that a niche company brings over the Bluray of a show that is so niche in Japan that it couldn't even get single Bluray releases it got boxsets instead.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Then don't complain when niche products don't get brought over here and instead Funimation brings over "I can't believe my Sister's breast implants are so big" because the guys who are into that type of thing don't demand that a niche company brings over the Bluray of a show that is so niche in Japan that it couldn't even get single Bluray releases it got boxsets instead.

Why would I complain about that? I'm also pissed that Ladies Versus Butlers isn't getting a BD, and the sister in your "hah, that'll show 'em for liking these kinds of anime" example scenario had better be an onee-san, then that premise is rock solid. Would buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4