• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament: Nominations (ABOUT TO START)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadarJay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
(In all non-dumbassery this time) I would nominate Wolf's Rain not only for being one of the more solidly animated shows of the early 2000's, but having some of the most diverse set of character designs for the time (and the thought put into them) and the neo-Renaissance aesthetic that surrounds the Nobles, all wrapped up in some post apocalyptic grit.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Vote for:
House of Five Leaves
Otome Yokai Zakuro
Katanagatari

There are a handful of shows I still plan to nominate, but I just haven't found the time. Sad
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:
Noein
Paprika
From the New World
Mononoke
FLCL

Nominating:

Now before I carry on please forgive the reasoning's below - I'm very poor at expressing my views on paper... or on screens.

Serial Experiments Lain

I love the contrast between dark and light as well as the use of shadows and reflections of light. Outside is always excessively bright and pale, it's almost blinding at times though there is always an ominous feel due to the shadows being filled with the "red blotches" almost signifying that the Wired exists in the real world operating within the shadows. Her room has such an eerie feel to it;it is dark and grimy, only being able to see what is lit up by the computer monitors. I love the how the reflections off the pool of water in the room makes small details like wires noticeable. Finally I love the simplicity of the character designs especially how lifeless Lain's facial expressions can be but her eyes can tell a different story.

Nagi no Asukara

Every thing visually in Nagi is beautiful and full of rich bold colours especially the scenery; a few examples: Ex.1 Ex.2 Ex.3. I love the characters eyes; now I normally hate excessively large anime eyes but it really works with Nagi as they add a beautiful layer of shine and refection and I love the deep aqua colour used. There isn't much more that can really be said, the scenery shots pretty much sum up the beautiful visuals and rich colours.

No dubitably others could do a better job than me for the above choices so feel free to point out anything I've missed Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
誤称

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or are a lot of these nominations not particularly aesthetically daring? Like Evangelion and Madoka Magica, these are pretty much a staple of "best of" lists and don't really do anything daring aesthetically. Yes, thematically they are daring, but aesthetically? Not really. Madoka is Shaft being Shaft and Evangelion's actual visuals aren't really that dissimilar from other productions of the time and robot shows of the past.

I seem to wonder, do you people just not understand what these words mean?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
What other anime out there has something that looks like the witch realms in Madoka?

Anyway, as promised, I am supporting Serial Experiments Lain.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:

Nominating:
Nagi no Asukara

Every thing visually in Nagi is beautiful and full of rich bold colours especially the scenery; a few examples: Ex.1 Ex.2 Ex.3. I love the characters eyes; now I normally hate excessively large anime eyes but it really works with Nagi as they add a beautiful layer of shine and refection and I love the deep aqua colour used. There isn't much more that can really be said, the scenery shots pretty much sum up the beautiful visuals and rich colours.

No dubitably others could do a better job than me for the above choices so feel free to point out anything I've missed Very Happy

I have a question is this an example of aesthetically daring or is it really more aesthetically beautiful? I mean perhaps I'm forgetting the show but is Nagi unique, different or unconventional in its visual presentation? Beautiful scenery with rich bold colors by itself does not make it daring or different. Again forgive me if I'm forgetting something from the show.

誤称 wrote:
Is it just me or are a lot of these nominations not particularly aesthetically daring? Like Evangelion and Madoka Magica, these are pretty much a staple of "best of" lists and don't really do anything daring aesthetically. Yes, thematically they are daring, but aesthetically? Not really. Madoka is Shaft being Shaft and Evangelion's actual visuals aren't really that dissimilar from other productions of the time and robot shows of the past.

When they enter the Witch realms it certainly is different than the norm. The style in the realms contrasts with the cleaner more anime style of the character designs.

Also I think there's a range of what might be considered daring. Somethings will be at the low end and somethings at the high end. This is still the nomination phase and things have to be voted on before the tournament starts. As in past tournaments not everything nominated is guaranteed to be in the tournament.
誤称

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
Even the witch realms harken back to past Shaft works. There is very little outside of the norms of what Shaft typically does in their works in Madoka visually. Madoka is just the culmination of what they learned in one package. It steals from their past works and meshes them into a flowing work. It is not daring, it is simply polished. And I find the fact that you find the wideface Hidamari-style character designs "typical" revealing. Ms. Aoki's art style is rather unique.

It is fine if this ends up being a popularity contest (of rather unpopular anime), which it seems to be heading to, but suggesting it is a discussion of "aesthetically daring" anime with a lot of the nominations is misleading.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
^ The thing is, (and from what I've gathered from internet-sleuthing), the visual style seen in the Witch labyrinths tended to get shoved into other SHAFT shows, regardless of whether or not it was appropriate. Granted, the only experience outside of Madoka Magica that I've had with SHAFT is watching two of the Sayonara-Zetsubou-Sensei openings. Akiyuki Shinbo just happens to really like weird stuff, and whether or not the show itself needs it, he's going to shove Gekidan Inu Curry animation into anything he directs. With Madoka, it doesn't feel forced this time. In fact, the show kind of needed it because of the content and themes of the story. That's why I'm supporting it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Even the witch realms harken back to past Shaft works. There is very little outside of the norms of what Shaft typically does in their works in Madoka visually. Madoka is just the culmination of what they learned in one package. It steals from their past works and meshes them into a flowing work. It is not daring, it is simply polished.

I'm curious as to how you are defining "daring". It may not be the same as the requirements of the tournament and perhaps that is why you are challenging this?

Quote:
And I find the fact that you find the wideface Hidamari-style character designs "typical" revealing. Ms. Aoki's art style is rather unique.

I never said "typical" and I never implied anything derogatory about the character designs. They do have cleaner lines. They do contrast with the cutout imagery in the Witch realms. That was my point, not that they are typical designs. I do recall that some people did not like the wideface designs, but that is no matter. You yourself say that Ms. Aoki's art style is unique, that in itself is a qualifier for this tournament.

Tell us what you see as daring and I don't mean that sarcastically. I mean it sincerely. Give us some examples and tell us why.
誤称

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
Adventurous or audaciously bold, hence doing something simply masterfully doesn't meet the qualifications, imnsho.

Personally, I'd also question the inclusion of things like Soul Eater where it isn't audacious to animate a successful manga in the same aesthetics as that manga. I'd feel the Flowers of Evil would be a great example of being aesthetically daring because it tossed caution to the wind, dared to redesign the characters and make the terrible (meaning awe inspiring) choice of rotoscoping the entire show.

Does that explain why I feel a lot of the shows being nominated simply shouldn't even be in consideration? For example Aria? Really? What breaks the norms there? Its an average moe healing anime, if its aesthetically daring, so is K-on....
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:41 am Reply with quote
^ As far as I've heard, ARIA gained fame for having REALLY REALLY pretty background designs. But I haven't seen the anime or read the manga, so what good is my opinion?

As for "aesthetically daring", style isn't the only thing to be considered for nomination. What about animation? Fight scenes? Editing and cinematography? (I get why nobody with agreed with me on Attack on Titan, but seriously, no Cowboy Bebop supporters?) I nominated Soul Eater because of the creative action scenes, the unique style, and some very clever editing choices. Of course, it's BONES animating the production, so it's bound to look good.
誤称

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
I think the problem is that "aesthetically daring" means something. Its used to describe things like Hitchcock's works, like Oshima's "Night and Fog in Japan", like "Naked Lunch". It is not used for works like "Alien 3" where great camera work is present, but the work as a whole is mediocre.

I believe that the way this tournament is structured, one could make an argument that Bleach is "aesthetically daring" simply due to the weirdness of the confrontations Ichigo has with his sword.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
^ But nobody cares about Bleach anymore.

Hey, here's a clever idea; why don't you stop complaining about other people's opinions and, I don't know, NOMINATE OR SUPPORT SOMETHING instead of just standing there and whining, hmm? Otherwise, leave the thread now if you're not doing anything.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:39 am Reply with quote
Voting for:
Katanagatari
Serial Experiments Lain
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

Nominating:
Nagi no Asukara

I have a question is this an example of aesthetically daring or is it really more aesthetically beautiful? I mean perhaps I'm forgetting the show but is Nagi unique, different or unconventional in its visual presentation? Beautiful scenery with rich bold colors by itself does not make it daring or different. Again forgive me if I'm forgetting something from the show.

You just had to ask Laughing . To be fair I did nominate it because of it is aesthetically beautiful but to me that is different as I personally haven't seen a show at that level so [to me] it is
Galap wrote:
striking
I think the underwater scenes and imageries are different (shown in Ex.3) as it is not something you would expect to see. The underwater world has four noticeable seasons and has a clear day and night cycles. In the evening they can see the stars clearly unlike something like this.

Here I am more than likely looking at the difference and uniqueness of the environment rather than the art work itself.

Feel free to vote against - I was just throwing it out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9