• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell ARISE: Borders 1 & 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
I loved a lot of the action going down especially in the second film. The animation style took me a little time to get used to though and feels different from the original GITS series. Nonetheless, this definitely imo was worth the time to watch.

I can't wait for the next film Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
j Talbain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Will it ever be released ina dub?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Arise is a case of "more of the same", even though that "same" is still pretty good. It's not as groundbreaking as even SAC, but it's definitely worth checking out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
"Repetitive" within the GiTS world, sure. But repetitive within GiTS is still fresher than fresh compared to so many shows that come out every season following inexplicable chick-magnet A and his possy of tsunderes, kuuderes, and danderes. I'll take GiTS over that any day of the week.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I love the GITS franchise and I was excited for Arise. I've never been bored with any of the previous works, but Arise felt both boring and less clever. Some of that probably has to do with the repetitiveness and not pushing boundaries that was mentioned in the review. I'm hoping the third installment will do something to excite me and give me an excuse to purchase it when Funi puts out the dub. I own the movies, the TV anime, the manga, and a book. However, as Arise is right now I could pass on it.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
"Arise" feels a lot more focused on being the "wicked-cool action show" version of GitS than actually being well-written and clever. I liken it to Len Wiseman taking over a franchise from Spielberg or Ridley Scott. It's merely okay in a franchise that's mostly great.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying it a lot, but to do so I have to look at it as its own separate animal, rather than as a canon-type prequel. I think I'm too attached to Saito's story in Poker Face about their pasts, even though he said he made it all up, which was suggested to be a lie in itself. Or not. Who knows, I just liked it. Smile
Akaname

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:

Funimation has the rights to this and will be releasing a bilingual set later.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I loved a lot of the action going down especially in the second film. The animation style took me a little time to get used to though and feels different from the original GITS series. Nonetheless, this definitely imo was worth the time to watch.

I can't wait for the next film Smile

Pretty much agree with this. The part that took me a bit to get used to was probably Motoko's main color being red this time lol, though it looks pretty good once you get used to. Been really enjoying them, though based on how they were talking before it started (and the whole premise for why they changed the VAs) I was expecting them to "push it" a little more. But as more GITS I've been quite enjoying it.

relyat08 wrote:
"Repetitive" within the GiTS world, sure. But repetitive within GiTS is still fresher than fresh compared to so many shows that come out every season following inexplicable chick-magnet A and his possy of tsunderes, kuuderes, and danderes. I'll take GiTS over that any day of the week.

So this!
lizardking461

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of Arise was one of the most disappointing viewing experiences of my life. There's a difference between "challenging storytelling" and "awful storyboarding" that the reviewer's predilections may be blinding them to...
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm enjoying it a lot, but to do so I have to look at it as its own separate animal, rather than as a canon-type prequel. I think I'm too attached to Saito's story in Poker Face about their pasts, even though he said he made it all up, which was suggested to be a lie in itself. Or not. Who knows, I just liked it. Smile

Same here. Loved that story. I also wasn't getting how they where saying Motoko started in her cyber body pretty much at birth but if you watch the TV series it is strongly hinted (if not down right said depending on how you take it)spoiler[ that she was cybernized after a plane crash when she was child.]

So while I'll still probably get and watch the rest of them as the came out they are just missing something from the rest of the series. Like the writers didn't watch what was done before and just did their own story after being told the premise.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
While these episodes may be later, chronologically, the story is earlier, so the Logikoma should be referred to as the predecessors of the Tachikoma, not their heirs. The effort to make this story the same as the previous shows and movies, and yet feel earlier, must have been as strenuous as, say, Days of Future Past (which I have not seen.) I like ARISE and look forward to the remaining films.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:

that's a stupid question. if its ghost in the shell , its obviously gonna be in english dub especially since funi have the license. if it was licensed by Media Blasrers , Nozumi Animation or Sentai Filmworks then the chances of it getting one is very slim or worse, it would have been gotten the sub only treatment until like in 2-5 years. since that is how long before sentai did before it gave some of its series an english dub.

However, the real question is, who will voice who? will it get an Adult Swim broadcast release just like SAC?

And Will funi use it's OWN VA or will they decide to go to Bang Zoom Ent and use the Stand Alone Complex cast?

I suspect they will use their own VA instead of going to bang zoom which is disappointing cause if Viz Media or better yet Manga Entertainment had gotten the license, the stand alone complex cast would have definitely been used to voice Arise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
I don't think Arise is a prequel. I thought it was just another Ghost in the Shell story, it's just this time they framed it as an origin story. I don't think it's an origin story that has anything to do with Stand Alone Complex.

But yeah I cringe at Funi dubbing this and not Bang Zoom.

Quote:
Like the writers didn't watch what was done before and just did their own story after being told the premise.
Is'nt that what they did? Is'nt that what most of GiTS is? Stand Alone Complex is'nt the manga or the movie. The movie is'nt straight up the manga. Even the GiTS PS1 game is it's own thing. These different adaptations share similar themes, premises, characters, and even setup, but they all kind of do thier own thing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember Arise being said to be related to SAC. I mean if it was why is'nt it called SAC:Arise? I think this is just another GiTS with an origin angle, but it's not like this origin is the origin for any of the other GiTS works.

Or is it supposed to. I don't know? Sure did'nt seem like that in the two episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
In all honesty, I find Sakamoto just ISN'T good as the Major. She's trying to play "tuff chick" with her....and it just doesn't work. I suddenly realize why she doesn't have a lot of those roles in her history. The only time it kinda worked was with Shiki in The Garden of Sinners, but that's because it was intentionally bad; the character was trying to play "badass" and instead it came off as a paper thin act that was best exemplified with Mikiya going "Eat the damn thing? Really?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2