• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell (25th Anniversary) US Blu-ray

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
via Amazon.com

Ghost in the Shell 25th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
- MSRP: $24.99
- Release Date: September 23, 2014.
- Studio: Starz / Anchor Bay

http://4NN.cx/.75741
Quote:
A LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD FOR MAMORU OSHII
A towering and truly unique figure in Japanese animation, director Mamoru Oshii will be a recipient of Fantasia's Lifetime Achievement Award. From pioneering OVAs DALLOS and the haunting ANGEL'S EGG, and of course the beloved PATLABOR series, of the 1980s, through the dramatically influential global hit GHOST IN THE SHELL in the mid-'90s, to its award-winning sequel and other powerful, pensive works in the new millennium (SKY CRAWLERS, AVALON), Oshii has consistently strived to bring new ideas and in fact a whole new attitude to anime. With his meticulous and idiosyncratic near-future thrillers and dramas, linked by persistent themes, motifs and concerns, Oshii asserts a complex, deeply thoughtful and decidedly adult sensibility — while maintaining the highest technical standards in the field (and hardly confining his efforts to animation). In seeking a path to call his own, Oshii has blazed a trail for fantastic entertainment worldwide to follow.

Mamoru Oshii will be receiving his award on our opening night, July 17, before a special screening of the new HD master of GHOST IN THE SHELL, being re-issued by Manga Entertainment and Anchor Bay Entertainment in celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the original manga's publication. This will be the first time the GITS HD print has been made available outside of Japan, lovingly restored, unadulterated and awe-inspiring in its beauty.

EDIT: this will be the first anime release from Manga Ent/Anchor Bay Ent since First Squad and Redline (that was back in January 17, 2012).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Wait is this the original and not that awful GITS 2.0 with the added CG? If it is...hurray! I was going to import the Japanese version this year. Now all they have to do is release SAC on BD here.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Yes, this is a HD remaster off the original and not GitS 2.0.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DragonSpikeXIII

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
This is great news!

I have the R1 SE and the Japanese BD/DVD combo from 2009, the one with a great DVD but with a lackluster HD transfer on the BD.

I'll gladly pay full price and support this new release if it's a quality HD remaster, even with no extras.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Just what this movie needs another re-rerelease to confuse new fans on which to buy. Laughing
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been holding off on buying the import in hopes that this would get released over here. Would like a special edition, but oh well.
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray) - $17.99 - 4/12/16
Quote:
Edition: Metal/Steel packaging

Includes a Limited Edition Collectible 24-page book featuring an interview with Director Mamoru Oshii.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray) - $17.99 - 4/12/16
Quote:
Edition: Metal/Steel packaging

Includes a Limited Edition Collectible 24-page book featuring an interview with Director Mamoru Oshii.

And will Anchor Bay/Manga have fixed the audio issues and the poor subtitles or are they just stamping out the same thing except with the UK steel book packaging?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1