• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
Eyeing things in the Right Stuf sale. I am test running some things on their youtube page (it did help me flat out say "no thank you, I'll stick with the manga" on Princess Knight), but still want more input:

Kimba-had no eps on youtube in this case. I actually don't think most of the old Tezuka TV series I've seen are that good (even if the Astro Boy manga is good), debating if I should hope DMP adds Kimba on their kickstarter or something? Or has anyone seen this? I did see the 90s movie and enjoyed it well enough.

Sound of the Sky-saw and enjoyed ep 1 and the atmosphere. Hoping it'll be more than cute girls with trumpets though.

Dirty Pair-it's no secret that I like 80s scifi and I quite enjoyed the two eps that were on there. Hoping it won't be too formulaic in the end mostly. Also, not sure if I should get the TV or the OVA or what.

I might ask more opinions after more test runs methinks. I already have Rose of Versailles and Cobra (both of which people should get from this sale, Cobra for people who like that sort of thing, and everyone needs Rose of Versailles, plain and simple)
Akaname

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Sound of the Sky-saw and enjoyed ep 1 and the atmosphere. Hoping it'll be more than cute girls with trumpets though.

There is more to it than that, although that is a big part of what I liked about it. The characters have depth, but little time is spend on development. Most of them have backgrounds(some more tragic than others) which are explored. It has a proper ending, although it seems to come out of nowhere because of the lack of plot during most of the episodes.

Looks like the LE version is sold out, too bad it's a really nice set.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I rated it a Decent and would say for me it was a B- show. I thought the setting was pretty good and some of the background art was very nice. It felt a little like "cute girls doing cute things" (except in the military) for a little bit too long for my tastes. If you love shows like that then your enjoyment maybe higher than mine. It has its edgy and realistic moments which is some of its best parts for me. However, I think part of the problem I had was that it couldn't break far enough away from a moe show to be both cute and different. I don't think the creators were quite brave enough to push its more realistic qualities, because of maybe fear of losing its "cute" appeal. It ended being too simplistic and predictable with several stereotypical characters.

To be fair, I still did think about picking the show up especially for the LE. It does have a certain appeal. But after some deliberation it just doesn't have rewatch value for me. Its too constrained by its genre of cute moe girls, which is too bad because it has a good setting, attractive characters, and really nice background art.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm, then based on One-Eye's comment, I'll probably skip Sound of the Sky and watch it when their youtube page puts the whole series up in rotation.

I do think I want Dirty Pair though, I'm on another 80s binge to put it lightly.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know if there's a difference between Funimations and ADV's release of Project Blue Earth SOS? They are around the same price either way. Just wanted to see if one was better in some way.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
Another Sentai sale. I never seem to order anything from them though, but they have been releasing some old anime, and that pleases me. But it's old anime I'm not sure on.
So, 70s Casshan opinions? Gatchaman? Ghost Sweeper Mikami? And are any worth getting Bluray? It doesn't seem worth it for older shows to me, since they were never native HD. Also, I have no Battle of the Planets or G-Force nostalgia, Gatchaman has to stand on its own with no nostalgia to help. And I've never seen either Discotek's Casshan OVA or Funi's Casshern Sins.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
Anyone know if there's a difference between Funimations and ADV's release of Project Blue Earth SOS? They are around the same price either way. Just wanted to see if one was better in some way.

Anyone know? Also is the SAVE edition of it have a reversible cover?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I think they may have not included the ADV extras with the newer release of SOS. I don't think they did with Utawarerumono either. Standard practice I guess. Xamd be licensed.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
These are so cool, obviously counterfeit, but so cool
I have not seen an official product with queen size sheets and pillows
most japanese sleep on little twin beds or on the ground

Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
^Counterfeit or doujin? There are plenty of circles selling unofficial dakimakura covers, so why not a bedset?
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm considering buying Steins;Gate based on positive reviews and viewing the first episode, but I have one question: is there a big difference between watching the Blu-Ray version versus DVD? My parents own a Blu-Ray player but I don't (plan to in future), so I lean more towards buying the DVD version.
bugula

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
there's a complete classics blu-ray set coming out soon that's fairly inexpensive. i haven't seen the series but am waiting for that to come out.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=fun01543
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
A_mystery it depends on your television resolution
what kind of TV do you have?

bluray is noticeably better for everything except watching TV shows over 5 years old.

however, buying a bluray and watching it at your parents house once is kind of silly. rent it or get a funimation.com subscription and watch it in HD.

the first thing you need is a good TV, dont buy any videos until you have that taken care of. Bluray players are cheap now.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
@A Mystery
It depends on which country's version you are buying. If you are buying the US version you don't have to make a choice since they are Funimation combo packs and contain both Blu-ray and DVD. I'm not familiar with what European versions are available.

If you have a DVD only version available, I'd buy that. You don't want the show to pass its expiration date before you get to watch it.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah my parents do have a good tv but I don't, I'll go for the DVD version then! Thnx!
Here it's either DVD or Blu-ray, so no combo packs. Plus side: they have a boxset too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 112 of 132