• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ben-To Release Date Pushed Back?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Just checking up on my TRSI pre-orders and noticed the Ben-To Complete Series LE has been given the ol' December 12, 2027 release date a la Evangelion 3.33 (same with the standard edition). Anyone know if what the deal is and/or if this is just a short push back rather than an indefinite one?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Where have you been? Very Happy

Reportedly Funimation found just before release that they were working with the censored broadcast version not the home version of Ben-To. The delay is to obtain and author the correct version, which is why the delay is open-ended. It probably won't be that far in the future but it will likely be Fall or later.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Where have you been? Very Happy

Reportedly Funimation found just before release that they were working with the censored broadcast version not the home version of Ben-To. The delay is to obtain and author the correct version, which is why the delay is open-ended. It probably won't be that far in the future but it will likely be Fall or later.

Thanks! I'm not so in the loop on these things Sad

As far as I know, this is the second time in the past year this has happened with Funimation (first was with Sankarea, although I don't know if distributing the censored version was accidental or if they just received complaints that it wasn't the uncensored version upon its release).
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Amazon has it scheduled for November 4.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
As far as I know, this is the second time in the past year this has happened with Funimation (first was with Sankarea, although I don't know if distributing the censored version was accidental or if they just received complaints that it wasn't the uncensored version upon its release).

Justin in the latest Answerman article answered a question relating to this. Short answer is this stuff has been happening for decades where a US publisher doesn't get the complete product from Japan. Sometimes its due to purposeful malice on the licensors' part and sometimes its ignorance because the people in charge of licensing aren't aware of the cleaned up home video version. He also said that since Ben-To was supposed to come out soon it was probably completely done and Funi had to take a loss on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1