• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Battle Athletess Victory. In this show, girls from all over the galaxy compete in a series of athletic events to achieve the title of Cosmo Beauty.
I enjoyed this show really well all the way to its end. I had a fun time seeing Akari exercising her will to see her challenges to the end, even if she felt that she wasn't going to win.
However, it's pretty sad that Ling-Pha Wong didn't get enough air time...She was a really funny gal when stuff didn't out the way she expected.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
ALRIGHT LET'S SEE WHAT WE'VE GOT!

Baccano!:
Last Stopped: Episode Eleven

So far, so good! Can't wait to see how everything ties up. Also, CLAIRE STANFIELD IS DA BOSS. Arguably, given who he targets and what we know of his victims, Claire might be the most heroic character in the show. Doesn't excuse the fact that he's got some screws lose. I still love him though. CLAIRE. YES.

Almost over, and then I can sit down to watch the first FMA series. YAY!

Cowboy Bebop
Last Stopped: Black Dog Serenade

I like Jet. I love Faye and Ed more, but I really like Jet know. Poor guy has it rough, since he has to deal with the rest of the Bebop crew. Now we find out what the big deal is with his prosthetic arm. Poor, poor, poor Jet Black. I'll love you, man.

Anyway, fantastic show. I have nothing to complain about so far. I've got another favorite coming...

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Last Stopped: Episode Six

I appreciated the teamwork NERV had to go through to defeat this episode's Angel. It's something you don't really get to see in a lot of monster-of-the-week anime, or so I have heard. Also, was it me, or was this Angel's design the laziest and yet most creative design for a monster-of-the-week ever?

Also, poor Shinji. No wonder he wants to quit. I'd pack my bags too if I was almost killed only five seconds into a battle. If what the parallel scene of him saving Rei has anything to say about the future, well...let's just say Shinji's going to be a lot like his dad.

Princess Tutu
Last Stopped: Episode Eight

Wait a minute. Fakir...has a point in trying to make Mytho give up his heart? Wait another minute! He's...NICE? WHAAAAAAAA~

Yeah, I've seen this anime before, and I know where it's going, but...dayum. Also, it seems that Rue's transformation is triggered by envy towards Princess Tutu. Even worse, it looks like Mytho is falling for his savior, and Duck can't even bring herself to tell him the truth, that's he falling for the screw-up and should be with the prettier and better suitor. Poor Duck.

And...that's all for now! Tata.[/b]
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
So I just finished re-watching Chaos;Head, and my goodness was that a chore. Took about 3 weeks to suffer through it this second time as I consistently couldn't find motivation to sit and watch it, and low and behold, it was worse than I remembered. I only bought it in the first place because I wanted to own physical copies of all three Science Adventure series, but as of this point, it was a waste of money. Animation was subpar, music average, characters were flat, and the story is nonsensical. I understand the VN was much better, which is too bad since they butchered this adaptation.

I'd say the only remote reason to watch this anime is to be able to go back and pick up the subtle nods that Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes throw its way, but then again, you'd have to be a masochist to be able to do so.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Persona 3 The Movie: Spring of Birth
I do not begrudge Aniplex USA. I will not pay their prices, unless it is something I want.
When they have something I want, I pay. Sure, a cheaper version of Silver Spoon would have been nice, but it was not THAT good.

I am a total sucker for Persona, with over 600 hours in various incarnations of the Persona 3 game. (Persona 4 probably is over 800 hours).
I am the target for this movie.

And it did not disappoint.

I totally get what they are going for, Persona 4 lends itself more to a series, Persona 3 with its timed events works better in movie format IMO. About the only thing I found fault with was the Velvet Room sequences. If you have not played the games, you were probably going.... What the F?

Watching the main character shoulder most everything with no complaints and how most everyone freaks out about it was a nice touch. I always felt he took way too much in stride. The film does show how he starts thinking of friendship and teamwork at the end, having been effectively "birthed".

The bad side is, I am now on the hook for a couple more import movies at $80 bucks a pop (it did take awhile to figure out how to turn the subtitles on).

I also imported Only Yesterday from Ghibli, got tired of waiting for a release (I have not watched yet).
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
I watched the Alice in the Country of Hearts movie today. It wasn't that great. There wasn't really much of a coherent plot, and characters were just introduced randomly. If you'd come in not having played the games or read the manga beforehand you'd have been totally lost, for example the spoiler[warring factions aren't explained but the meeting between Blood and Vivaldi is shown, and there's no explanation as to why they're meant to be enemies] It seemed to me like it was just a mashup of favourite scenes from the game, with lots of montages of cards being shuffled so they didn't have to animate people. In the future I think I'll just stick to the manga (the one Yen Press rescued from Tokyopop) as it tells the same story much better, and the art is better too. It's not that the art is bad in the movie per se, but the colours aren't very vibrant and it looks quite cheap.

Rating: Not really good. It wasn't a total waste of time because it was nice to hear the characters having voices, and there were some pretty bits.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
A friend's birthday is coming up and she's really into Kami-sama Kiss so I thought I'd do some fanart for her. But Chiibi's rule is "You CANNOT properly draw characters without watching their show" so I started the first ep. Very enjoyable, full of nice artwork and LULZ. I'll be sticking with this one. :'D

Quote:
Wait a minute. Fakir...has a point in trying to make Mytho give up his heart? Wait another minute! He's...NICE? WHAAAAAAAA~

I laughed. Anime hyper Duck is really lucky she got to spoiler[ride inside his shirt.]
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Only Yesterday: my first ever watch of the film, recently imported on Blu Ray. I found the subtitles on the blu ray menu quicker this time as opposed to the Persona 3 movie.

What a gorgeous looking film. A bit slow, and seemed to linger on specific shots for a surprising amount of time. I think it captured the mood of what it was going for perfectly, a reflection of both youth and the present.

I imagine I will gain more on subsequent watches (like most other Ghibli films.) Money well spent, until someone finally releases it here in the States, but like my few other imports, very prized possessions.

I suppose I have to import Ocean Waves now.
Kientom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The number of series I started watching and haven't finished is too damn high! Might as well use this thread to sort them out. For the record, I fully intend to finish everything I started so this is not a random list for the sake of self-indulgence. It's fair to say I'm watching all of these following series

Ano Hana. Last stopped: episode 1. (too damn depressing for the 1st ep, maybe I'll finish it someday when I'm mentally prepared and good on tissue supply)

Cowboy Bebop. Last stopped: ep 1. (doesn't seem to be my type. Only started watching it cause people have been giving me hell for not doing so)

Elfen Lied. Last stopped: ep 1. (reason: similar as above)

Kokoro Connect. Last stopped: ep 3 or 4. (I practically ragequit this show when it took a turn for the worse (read: harem) as I'm so sick of harem and heavily-stereotyped male lead lately, after whining and bitching the hell outta it on the streaming site of course).

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Last stopped: ep 2 (I already finished Fullmetal Alchemist and it seems the story started over again in this one. I knew it would turn to a different path later in the show but I didn't have that kind of patience back then)

Angel beats. Last stopped: ep 1 (even when it seems interesting, I just couldn't find the right mood to continue after the first ep).

Honey & Clover. Last stopped: ep 2 (maybe I'm not up for this, just yet)

Golden time. Last stopped: ep 9 or 10, somewhere in the middle (spoiler[it suddenly has stuff like spirit and the supernatural] and that's something I didn't expect in the first place so my interest suddenly dwindled.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. Last stopped: ep 4 or 5 (spoiler[the main lead kinda pisses me off because he's so useless. Meanwhile the female lead being a oblivious and helpless genius seems like someone I would have a hard time observing as I would go like: damn that lucky bastard, he didn't deserve her. Anyway back to the harem issue. And another thing: why are all the professions involved all otaku-rish: voice actor, animator, mangaka and then game designer, seriously?])

School rumble. Last stopped: ep 5 (the comedy just couldn't reach me)

Hidamari Sketch. Last stopped: ep 2 (this has nothing to do with the show. I just stopped because I had quite too much moe to deal with at the time and I haven't had a chance to get back to it.)

Nana. Last stopped: ep 8 (a jerk spoiled this show by giving me unnecessary details so I haven't watched it since).

Akage no Anne. Last stopped: ep 35 (I was very into the novel Anne of Green Gable by Lucy Maud Montgomery and its sequel novels so I tried to find everything related to the "Anne's universe" including movies and anime. I couldn't find a source with decent image quality after this episode).

Skip beat. I am actually watching this right now. A good shoujo is refreshing even when I haven't quite completely handled the flowery image and the shiny bubbles.

Phew, I said it
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
kientom wrote:
Kokoro Connect. Last stopped: ep 3 or 4. (I practically ragequit this show when it took a turn for the worse (read: harem) as I'm so sick of harem and heavily-stereotyped male lead lately, after whining and bitching the hell outta it on the streaming site of course).

I'm confused; when did Kokoro Connect become a harem anime?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Magical Stage Fancy Lala. A third-grader named Miho Shinohara encounters a mysterious person that grants her a pair of dolls, in which, not too long after, they reveal themselves to be magical dinosaurs named Mog and Pog. They grant Miho the ability to draw clothing on a mysterious drawing pad and materialize them and transform into a teenager. One day, she is unexpectedly hired by a modeling company, in which she would become her alter ego, Fancy Lala.
I found Fancy Lala to be a great magical girl show. I enjoyed that one episode in which I heared Lala sing Transparent. The ending was a sad one, in which I'm reminded that nothing really lasts forever and that decisions made in the present can have a lasting effect on one's past and future.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to watch that again, Mr Oshawatt, since I don't remember what happened in that series. I did like it and bought the series on DVD sight unseen, the sole reason being Akemi Takada's character designs!
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
I'm 4 episodes into Sword Art Online and so far I'm really enjoying it. While it certainly isn't the deepest or most original story, it is rather entertaining and the animation seems really nice. Most of the complaints seem to be directed at the Fairy Dance arc, so we'll see if my opinion changes after that.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin, 2. episode of the 2. season

Tony K. wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:
My question to fans of the universe: Can the series possibly hold up to this experience? 95 episodes of such mature beauty and intensity seem almost too good to hope for. And I'm just not really good with stuff that lasts longer than 26 episodes. Please advise. Thank you.

*Awesome how-to-watch-guideline that was very much appreciated and can be read here

So, after watching the Tsuiokuhen OVA and being very much paralyzed by it's emotional power and beauty, it was time to start the series. Thanks to the forum and Tony K. especially, I went in prepared and aware that it would not be 95 episodes of, well, the perfection that is the OVA. Now, at episode 2 of season 2, I can say my expectations (the realistic ones) were not not only met, but surpassed. And big time. The first season did very well, introducing it's highly likable characters. I had so much fun hanging out with them that I sat through the filler-ish second half of the first season with a smile on my face. Great mixture of humor, heart, and heroism, very good use of music and animation even when sometimes corners had to be cut. My favorite stories were, of course, the little arc involving Shinomori Aoshi, and the one with Tsukioka Katsuhiro. I hope to see more of Aoshi, in fact, I'm pretty sure I will. There was enough depth to the backstories of the characters that their actions and motivations always made sense, and the dynamic within Kenshin's group is very entertaining and sometimes quite touching. I was very glad to have checked it out.

Then the first episode of season 2 happened, and, man, was I not prepared. The whole episode basically had me in the same mood as this scene (big spoiler for Trigun), thinking: What on Vash's dry earth just happened? This is a new stage we're playing at, one where Kenshin will not have his theme song playing through his battles, one that has a whole lot of the symbolism that mad the OVA such a piece of beauty. Episode 2 did not disappoint, either, obviously. Actually, that Trigun clip is no coincidence, the vibe this show is giving me is definitely from a similar place, which is a huge compliment coming from me who has Trigun in her top 5 anime ever watched.

I'm rather glad I have so many episodes left to enjoy, I will definitely read the manga after the end of season 2, although I think I might start it from the beginning to stall the inevitable goodbye to the characters. Saitō Hajime will no doubt prove to become a great addition, I loved his character in the live action movie which I've seen recently. I also love how most of the characters are based on or inspired by historic figures that, after spending the last week listening to several Japanese history podcasts, I've come to know - some of them, at least.

Also, the fighting scenes are to the point and don't last so long that someone who's not a 12 year old boy starts to turn grey while watching.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
Finished the aincrad arc of Sword Art Online. So far this series has been pretty solid and I'm not seeing why it gets such hate. Even if the next arc turns out bad, at least half the show was good.

I've also watched the first five Garden of Sinners movies. These have been fantastic so far. Gorgeous animation and a deep, involving story. I only have the DVD set, but they still look beautiful.

The last thing I'm watching is Hell Girl. It seems pretty average. The central conceit of people being sent to hell as revenge is a little troublesome to me though. I've always had a problem with the idea of anyone deserving eternal damnation. I am starting to get into the mood of the show a bit. As episodic little morality plays, the series is decent enough. Not sure it will hold my interest for three seasons, but they were cheap when I got them so no big loss if they suck.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Finished the aincrad arc of Sword Art Online. So far this series has been pretty solid and I'm not seeing why it gets such hate.

Then read the series discussion thread here at ANN. That is, if you dare . . .

We went into exacting detail, so even if you don't agree with us you'll at least know the specifics of our complaints against it.

shamisen the great wrote:
Even if the next arc turns out bad, at least half the show was good.

If you thought the first arc was good then you are likely to enjoy the second arc as well. You might agree it is weaker than the first but you still probably won't hate it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 815 of 1061