• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does Sailor Moon mean to you? Entries Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentgrace7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
dlready87 wrote:
just finished my Microsoft Word word count on all the entries, 11 entries over 100... these can be found on the: top row, 3rd, 6th, 10th, 11th, 17th, 19th and two on the 9th and 15th rows...

with you guys saying you have over 1000 entries to go through, I figured I'd help you guys out a little bit... Smile

It's very sweet of you to do that Anime smile

I kind of hope my entry doesn't get cut because of word length. I guess it just depends on the type of counter they're using. According to an online one I have 98, but according to word I'm right on the dot at 100 x_x It's odd how some things are considered words and some aren't, depending on the processor.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

This is actually a big part of why we made it more than just a photo-contest. We didn't want it to be about who owns the most merchandise.

-t

Hallelujah!

I didn't see mine yet, so I thought I didn't make it. Anime dazed;

But haayyyy, there's hope. I also realized that uh...I posted mine on Facebook but it was downloadable and fit the 1000x1000 requirement.

My only issue is, I wrote a lot on my caption but I put the 100 words in my entry so I hope that it didn't confuse anyone. D:
dlready87

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
silentgrace7 wrote:

I kind of hope my entry doesn't get cut because of word length. I guess it just depends on the type of counter they're using. According to an online one I have 98, but according to word I'm right on the dot at 100 x_x It's odd how some things are considered words and some aren't, depending on the processor.

Thanks, I didn't know different processors count words differently. That's crazy. Still though, they should've caught the one with 203 words! regardless of the word processor they are/were using.

I hope mine doesn't get cut then... I had one entry at 98 according to Word... *feeling really nervous*

(((I see I messed up the quotation somehow.. sorry, I'm kind of new to forums, in fact, this is the first forum I ever signed up for...just so I can keep to the minute on this Sailor Moon thing and get some questions answered)))
[edit: fixed -t]

Last edited by dlready87 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Genki_ne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
mightymitch wrote:
But I am also confused by this list...are all of the entries listed here being considered as finalists and eligible for winning the prizes?

I only ask because I notice that some of the entries did not follow the "100 word limit" for their write-up and I don't think it would be fair to the contestants that stayed within the 100 word restriction if those who didn't follow the rules are being considered "finalists".

Hmm, we'll have to double check that. We did discard a good number of entries because they were over 100 words, maybe we missed a few.

-t

I misread the rules as a 100 character limit and my entry was REALLY short! I'm surprised and incredibly happy that I was able to make it to be a finalist! Sailor Moon helped me build confidence and do many things that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise- from school to my voice over career to cosplaying to just learning to accept me for me (: Even if I did like to eat a lot of sweets or was clumsy I could still be strong and fight for my beliefs!!

I also noticed a lot of entries being long though!

Thanks for holding the contest
-Brittany 'Bree' Lauda
silentgrace7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
dlready87 wrote:
silentgrace7 wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know different processors count words differently. That's crazy. Still though, they should've caught the one with 203 words! regardless of the word processor they are/were using.

I hope mine doesn't get cut then... I had one entry at 98 according to Word... *feeling really nervous*

(((I see I messed up the quotation somehow.. sorry, I'm kind of new to forums, in fact, this is the first forum I ever signed up for...just so I can keep to the minute on this Sailor Moon thing and get some questions answered)))

Teehee, it's perfectly fine. It wasn't anything major--just seems like a quote end code was added in, which caused it to end the quote at my name rather than at the end of the quote. I spend a lot of time on forums, so I've become accustomed to the odds and ends over the years, but it certainly takes some getting used to.

As for the 203 word one, it was probably just a fluke. After all, they have to go through 1000 entries Anime dazed I would probably forget to remove one or two myself...(if not more, considering how ditzy I am, haha).

Yeah, it's making me nervous too Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop hopefully it will be noted what processor they'll be using in future contests.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
About word processors is worrying me! Mine entry was 99 words in Microsoft word. Now I'm worried my entry might have been discarded because another processor claimed it to be more than 99?
Crying or Very sad Embarassed
i.am.erin.ishii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
So, I have a question.

Yesterday my entry was posted with the first 100. I noticed it is now the first 50. I check to see if my entry is still there, but I notice it is nowhere to be seen.

Is the reason why my entry was taken down because of the 100 words requirement? If so, then I don't understand why mine is taken down because I made sure that my paragraph was 100 words or less. My story went from 250 words to 100 so I could send in my entry. And I was using Microsoft Word to double check how many words were in my entry.

I really hope to get an answer because I'm a little disheartened.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
i.am.erin.ishii wrote:
So, I have a question.

Yesterday my entry was posted with the first 100. I noticed it is now the first 50. I check to see if my entry is still there, but I notice it is nowhere to be seen.

Is the reason why my entry was taken down because of the 100 words requirement? If so, then I don't understand why mine is taken down because I made sure that my paragraph was 100 words or less. My story went from 250 words to 100 so I could send in my entry. And I was using Microsoft Word to double check how many words were in my entry.

I really hope to get an answer because I'm a little disheartened.

Think that they're just reorganizing the entries after that little "203 words" fiasco, make it more streamlined so that more people can enjoy the pictures.

I hope that's true because if not that would leave a bit of a sour taste in mouth (as I'm in the first 50)...

But still I think they're trying to make it a little less cluttered. So good luck, I still hope you're in.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify: Any submissions are supposed to be our own work (photographs, fanart, cosplay, etc) or used with permission, correct?

A friend on another forum was worried that stolen artwork might have been submitted? I believe she'll sign up to make a post about the entries in question (Examples she linked me to just redirected to the top of the SM gallery submissions), but one submission she's seen on pixiv and another submission she's seen on a t-shirt design.

I'm going with the benefit of the doubt and assuming the t-shirt design was either a case of the artist selling their own work (RedBubble, CafePress, etc) or possibly/sadly stolen artwork of the artist which happens more often than it should. Regarding the pixiv artist, I thought a year or two back they created an English version of their site, so anybody should be able to submit art there, right?
i.am.erin.ishii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Think that they're just reorganizing the entries after that little "203 words" fiasco, make it more streamlined so that more people can enjoy the pictures.

I hope that's true because if not that would leave a bit of a sour taste in mouth (as I'm in the first 50)...

But still I think they're trying to make it a little less cluttered. So good luck, I still hope you're in.

I hope that's the case. Cause I did notice that the first 50 were all entries that were before me in the first 100. I think I was in the 80's. Hopefully things will clear up.

And good luck to you.
NeoQueenSerenity18

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I read in the entry with the Jupiter piece of fanart that it was their favorite piece and they had it saved on their phone.

I haven't seen my entry up yet and I understand some artists might come here saying my work was stolen and used in this contest and they might be upset.

On a more positive note I'm happy to see that it isn't all big collections and cosplays like I feared. I hope a good heartfelt has a chance at winning as well.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I see that some of the entries have been removed, probably due to some going over the 100 word limit. But why was Krissy's entry removed? Her's was only 98 words.
leonasenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Mine was also removed and it had exactly 100 words.

Can someone please explain what happened there, also with the other person who had their entries removed when they didn't even have 100 words.

I think the people doing this contest need to have a better control over the word counter, they should have added the word count on the form itself, because from what I can see, some people used microsoft word to count and other people like me, used an online word counter to have control over our entry, I personally used http://www.wordcounter.net/ and it gave me exactly 100 words, so what went wrong here?

Last edited by leonasenshi on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sakurablossom729

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
So is this all the finalest or will there be more?
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
leonasenshi wrote:
Mine was also removed and it had exactly 100 words.

Can someone please explain what happened there, also with the other person who had their entries removed when they didn't even have 100 words.

I think the people doing this contest need to have a better control over the word counter, they should have added the word count on the form itself, because from what I can see, some people used microsoft word to count and other people like me, used an online word counter to have control over our entry, I personally used http://www.wordcounter.net/ and it gave me exactly 100 words, so what went wrong here?

I used that website. I got exactly 100 words.

But please re-instate Krissy's, leoansenshis's and everyone else's entry and anyone else's entry who met the 100 word limit.

Last edited by Amara Tenoh on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 29