• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Puts Nymphet on Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow...

This thing aside, I'm actually impressed that a company will actually DELAY a title due to online debates...

I guess we do have the power after all.

Uhh... as for this... carry on, guys.

That said... actually discussing this thing with the vendors, while it will make things safer given that there's a choice that gets to be made, it will definitely hurt sales. In fact, that's a given.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
damn i actually wanted to read it now after all the fuss. i hope its at the store already- i'll be sure to check tomorrow. (my store puts things out...early)

Rolling Eyes where were all these people rasing hell when they annouced they got the title? Why did they wait so long to rasie hell?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
damn i actually wanted to read it now after all the fuss. i hope its at the store already- i'll be sure to check tomorrow. (my store puts things out...early)

Well, it's on hiatus, so I don't think ANYONE has it...

(or maybe I'm not following something here...)
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Dargonxtc wrote:
Well this was on the shelf at Barnes & Noble the other day. Not sure if it was supposed too though. (Although I did look up the release at Amazon and it says the 25th, and I am pretty sure I was at the store either Friday or Saturday).

this might be in the other thread...i've got so many windows open it hard to tell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
If history is any indication, the amount of buzz that has been generated by this title will result in much higher sales than if it had been put on the shelves without all the fanfare. People who would otherwise have no interest in seeing this manga will now be curious to see for themselves just what all the fuss was about. I've lost count of the number of times groups from all across the political, religious and social spectrum have tried to convice people not to read/watch/listen to something that violated their sense of propriety: those efforts have backfired almost every single time.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
If history is any indication, the amount of buzz that has been generated by this title will result in much higher sales than if it had been put on the shelves without all the fanfare. People who would otherwise have no interest in seeing this manga will now be curious to see for themselves just what all the fuss was about. I've lost count of the number of times groups from all across the political, religious and social spectrum have tried to convice people not to read/watch/listen to something that violated their sense of propriety: those efforts have backfired almost every single time.

don't forget the people who'll buy the books to burn them. Because everyone needs a good book burning that still suppourts the author through sales.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
DKL wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Dargonxtc wrote:
Well this was on the shelf at Barnes & Noble the other day. Not sure if it was supposed too though. (Although I did look up the release at Amazon and it says the 25th, and I am pretty sure I was at the store either Friday or Saturday).

this might be in the other thread...i've got so many windows open it hard to tell

So... it wasn't delayed?

Oh, no wait... okay, so the rest of the thing is delayed, yeah?

That'd make sense.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Rolling Eyes where were all these people rasing hell when they annouced they got the title?

Probably still busy getting on CMX's case for covering up schoolgirl panties and watering down a rape scene. Laughing

Because fandom outrage doesn't need to be morally consistent, it just needs to be outrage.

Last edited by Patachu on Tue May 29, 2007 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
So that there is no confusion...

Nymphet Vol. 1 has not been published at all. No copies of an English-language edition have been printed or shipped to any stores. The title is on hold.

- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
http://www.gomanga.com/
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
I know I'm curious enough to get it now, and it had never even been on my radar before Great Lolicon Debate II last week.
FireThunder

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my curiosity is piqued enough for me to pick it up whenever it comes out. Hell, if I can chuckle at the Cartman Sucks episode of South Park...

So, thanks to everybody who got wound up! I'm not into "loli", but without you, I'd have never heard of this book! Laughing

Last edited by FireThunder on Tue May 29, 2007 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
So that there is no confusion...

Nymphet Vol. 1 has not been published at all. No copies of an English-language edition have been printed or shipped to any stores. The title is on hold.

- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
http://www.gomanga.com/

Wait... then how come people have been talking about this thing being on the rack at Barnes and stuff?

This is pretty confusing...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Probably still busy getting on CMX's case for covering up schoolgirl panties and watering down a rape scene. Laughing

Because fandom outrage doesn't need to be morally consistent, it just needs to be outrage.

This is what I hate about people and their hypocritic ways. When there's something left out like t*** or something you're going to complain about your getting something to satisfy your fantasies, but when it comes to a situation involving a teacher and an 8 year old, you're going to become part of the outrage that this stuff shouldn't be published. It's basically the same thing in nature just presented in a different way. Which one is it? You want it, or you don't Rolling Eyes
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I believe that was sarcasm. Very Happy
Madame

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I fail to understand why such a huge deal is being made about this release. It's not like the US hasn't seen manga full of underage psudo-sexual hijinks before. For example, Loveless features a 12 year boy old who is, to put it bluntly, being molested by a 20 year old man. And there's a decent amount of fanservice too; I can think of at least two scenes featuring 12 year old boys naked in a bath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6