• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Hunter Robin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, in all fairness, the filler episodes of this show could not be objectively called "total waste of time" as some of them are better than average filler among many anime.

But even with this, it is not enough for me. Watching "monster of the week" anime is infinitely worse for me than a coherent moving story. This was one of the reason why I have asked that the ANN database would have a rating/vote on how much certain anime series is episodic or, on the contrary, it has a developing story.

Obviously, there are cases which are not clear on this and quite subjective, so the only real way to avoid arguments is to have voting system with options to choose like: "episodic", "mostly episodic", "half episodic/half developing story", "mostly developing story", "developing story".

After viewers will vote, such rating for One Peace, it would be close to 100%. For Mushishi it would be close to 0%. For this anime, would be somewhere near to 50% (considering Zac's glowing review, I would not be ignoring the anime, but I would be warned beforehand, found where the fillers end, and jumped to that point instead of being in pain going through all of the episodes that make no difference to the story.)

However strong overall rating for an anime is -- independent of this addition on how much it is episodic or not -- viewers will be able to understand whether they can survive watching it or not.

Sadly, the management does not see the issue, so they are not doing this -- at least not yet. But, if implemented, that would ease life of anime lovers who then could save great deal of time searching for anime that only has story moving forward. Besides, this feature of ANN database would become unique on the market, and will give the site competing advantage as provider of database quality that is unavailable elsewhere.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

Quote:
Sadly, the management does not see the issue, so they are not doing this

You mean they won't modify the system to suit your individual preferences?? That is a great shame. Followed to its logical conclusion this policy would lead to a set of 50 to a hundred questions that had to be answered to rate a show. This would provide a great deal of information, if anyone went to the trouble.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't JYB play a Jun Fukuyama character in this anime? That's what, 7 characters between them?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sadly, the management does not see the issue, so they are not doing this -- at least not yet. But, if implemented, that would ease life of anime lovers who then could save great deal of time searching for anime that only has story moving forward. Besides, this feature of ANN database would become unique on the market, and will give the site competing advantage as provider of database quality that is unavailable elsewhere.

Look at Bleach or Naruto's episode pages which define the arcs in red text, you can actually do something like that here already. I don't know if it's something the average person can edit but if you can, and have the time to waste on editing millions of episode entries, I nominate you for the job. Good luck. Razz

Maybe something for My ANN2 if it ever gets out of beta. I can imagine an encyclopedia overhaul like that is not something the staff wants to do too often.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Quote:
Sadly, the management does not see the issue, so they are not doing this

You mean they won't modify the system to suit your individual preferences?? That is a great shame. Followed to its logical conclusion this policy would lead to a set of 50 to a hundred questions that had to be answered to rate a show. This would provide a great deal of information, if anyone went to the trouble.

In case if you did not notice, no one forces anyone to vote on anything; current only vote is also optional.

However, there are many anime lovers who do care about ANN encyclopaedia and they will definitely cast another vote or two. And no one suggests to vote on 50 questions, so you are arguing against point you invented yourself right now just to win the argument. This is an effective tactics, but it moves discussion away from the essence of what I was saying.

Kruszer:

Yes, there is a lot work to do. The current database is oftentimes in overload already, so expanding number of fields each entry makes no sense before the database will move to more powerful server. Besides, there are also visual design issues; things need to be done elegantly so it would not look too cluttered.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
@MaxSouth
You missed my point. I feel management is right that this is an issue that does not belong in the encyclopedia.

How episodic is a minor nitpick in the evaluation of a show. This is the sort of thing you need to go to the reviews and discussion threads to determine. I suspect this is not a high priority to most people looking at the encyclopedia.

This is something that bothers you and possibly a handful of others. I'm sure that there are dozens of minor elements that are of interest to others that they would love to see addressed. Unfortunately adding all such elements to the encyclopedia would result in something so unwieldy as to be unusable.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
To reiterate, best series I have watched recently, despite its slow start.

That killer opening has made its way from DVD to my mp3 player.

Is that legal? Basically making an audio recording of the DVD playback.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
As long as you aren't selling or sharing the file there is nothing illegal about it at all Cool
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I figured, as long as I was not selling or sharing it.

Added the cool instrumental version of the opening that serves as episode 15 close.
I have recorded some truly awesome stuff for my personal use. There used to be a site called the Digital Club Network, and I have some real treasures from there (though probably overshadowed by others with true bootleg access from the soundboards).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
The two OSTs were some of my first import CDs. Well, the second one was, the first OST came with Bandai's Artbox for the show along with a T-shirt. I love both the background stuff and the opening and ending to this show personally.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
...The opener. I love that guitar riff that starts, and the vocals have me ripping from the dvd to an mp3 for my player...

Key wrote:
...Still think the series has one of the great anime OPs.

I wrote:
...the opening theme is a killer...

Kruszer wrote:
...I love both the background stuff and the opening and ending to this show...

These got me checking through my anime list to see just how highly I'd rate the opening song and I'm happy to say I would put it in the very top bracket of TV OP songs, along with the likes of (in alphabetical order) Elfen Lied, Ergo Proxy, Gunslinger Girl, Haibane Renmei and Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (still the standard setter after all these years). For sure, the list is subjective but I listen to these songs for the musical pleasure they give me, regardless of the imagery that accompanies them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
Alan45: I can bet if there would be an open poll on whether anime viewers consider the factor of a moving coherent story versus "moster of the week" important, people would vote overwhelmingly that yes, it is an important factor. So just because it may not interest personally you, it does not mean it is not important.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
@MaxSouth
Took you long enough. Confused

You want a question included in the encyclopedia that asks on a sliding scale how episodic a show is. Is that a correct summation of your point? My point is that while some people would welcome that information, it is only one of any number of similar questions that could be asked. For example, on a similar scale, how much fan service or how much violence or how sexist. I think that including all such questions proposed would weigh the encyclopedia down. I also don't think the question you proposed is so important as to be an exception.

I think questions like this should be relegated to reviews and discussion threads where it is only mentioned if it is relevant to that show. Since the encyclopedia links to these sources finding the information should not be hard.

I didn't want to get into the specifics of your proposal but you changed the terms on me.

To begin with, episodic is not the same thing as "monster of the week". Frankly, I don't think monster of the week is currently a big problem. As people have pointed out, while the first half of Witch Hunter Robin is episodic it serves the purposes of world building and character development. This is something your proposed question does not allow for.

Secondly, the question is only appropriate for action and adventure type programs, that is those that are plot driven. Slice of life, comedy, romance, healing and other types of programs are often highly episodic and have slow hard to perceive plot lines. I'm not sure what percentage of all shows these represent, but your question would be meaningless in those cases.

TLDR: I think it is a bad idea.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Alan45: I can bet if there would be an open poll on whether anime viewers consider the factor of a moving coherent story versus "moster of the week" important, people would vote overwhelmingly that yes, it is an important factor.

You could request that a poll be created for this in the "Polls" forum.
You would need to put a bit more thought into the poll options, and it would not be a scientific poll, and people would argue about the validity of the results, but it would be something.
It would probably be as meaningful as possible for anything done in a web forum.

Quote:
So just because it may not interest personally you, it does not mean it is not important.

And just because it may interest you personally does not mean that it is important.

As for Witch Hunter Robin, I like it quite a bit and think that it is just fine the way that it is. The episodic parts are more interesting to me than the "story."

I have watched the show twice and looking through this thread makes me want to watch it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5