• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

The matches (especially the spoiler[Battle Board) felt way too fast. As for Shizuku, I underestimated her. She did do quite a good job in the competition. Overall episode felt meh but Morisaki] has something cooked up in his sleeve judging by his reactions. I don't blame him though since the guy (Tatsumi) he got that reaction from has little flaws so far, at least compared to him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
1. Tatsuya does something awesome.

2. People stand around talking about how awesome Tatsuya is.

3. Little sister laments how little recognition and adulation Tatsuya gets for being awesome. Tatsuya demurs because what else can you do when you are that awesome.

4. Third High holds a battle conference the subject of which is how awesome Tatsuya is even though they don't know who he is yet.

5. Jealousy of Tatsuya's awesomeness arises. Didn't see that coming.

6. First High wins every match we see in an awesome fashion because Tatsuya is engineering it all in his awesome way.

7. Haruka flashes back to how awesome Tatsuya was with the purity of his magic in the entrance exams.

8. Gangsters. They have yet to learn how awesome Tatsuya is and that's some mighty plot development there for you.

I've changed my mind this can't be a drinking game. We'd have to call the paramedics each episode.

Was there any spoilers in the above? Sorry about that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
The gangster thing is probably a bit of a spoiler. But then again, organized crime rigging sports events should surprise no one.

Tatsuya may be awesome, but what value is that if spoiler[he's not free? The Yotsuba have a pretty tight leash around his neck. His life is not his own.]

I wasn't expecting Honoka to be given a flashback. As the only girl (save Miyuki) with obvious feelings for him, it's good to see where it started.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
So far the only problem I have with this arc is they are making it sound like they are neck and neck, that they might not win the competition..... but all we ever see is them dominating over the other schools. From the point of view we get it seems like they are overwhelmingly beating the other schools.

They need so show some matches that we either do not win or we win but by a really small margin to show some sort of difficulty involved.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
^ That's what i was thinking this whole episode. They brought up a couple episodes ago how the boys aren't doing good but we NEVER see them. Why?

Oh but of course it's more important to show how awesome Tatsuya is instead of properly setting the tone eh? Rolling Eyes
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333,

What *are* you talking about? Did you even *read* what you posted? What. The. Hell?

Setting the tone? How could you be so dense? Razz

Showing how awesome Tatsuya is *is* the tone.

Everything is working as intended.

As HaruhiToy said: very soon, I think, some criminal scum are going to learn just HOW AWESOME Tatsuya is. And boy, will they regret it (though probably not for long).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Besides, who cares about those icky boys? The girls are all that matter!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
1-8 Tatsuya is awesome.

I especially liked 3, 4 and 8. Laughing That's why I think the writers and production staff have to be doing this on purpose for the fun of it. You can't write all that episode after episode (even ramping it up over the course of the series) without being aware how it comes across.

Whenever Tatsuya is being adored by legions of groupies, or even one girl, I always get this image of the one cool middle-school teacher being idolized by his teenaged students, but while he's patiently delicate with their affections, they just don't interest him, being that he's an adult and they're off-limits anyway. Will it eventually be revealed that Tatsuya is actually 28?

Anyway, for me, this is the essence of why Tatsuya is awesome...until he does something even more awesome. Very Happy
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
That's a great example, Gina. Even frozen in time like that, his awesomeness rolls off him in waves, because not even time can freeze his awesomeness.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
So when does our perfect Randian hero battle with redheaded bishi?Though, I guess the entire fight will end in 30 seconds and 99% of that fight will be occupied by boring exposition.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Hey, did you guys hear that Tatsuya is awesome?

And what repercussions are there for not winning? Bragging rights? We need a reason to actually care and feel any sort of anxiety over the matches or their outcome. Other than just enjoying the awesome (Tatsuya).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Crusher X303 wrote:
So far the only problem I have with this arc is they are making it sound like they are neck and neck, that they might not win the competition..... but all we ever see is them dominating over the other schools. From the point of view we get it seems like they are overwhelmingly beating the other schools.

They need so show some matches that we either do not win or we win but by a really small margin to show some sort of difficulty involved.

they did a match that they didn't win.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Hey, did you guys hear that Tatsuya is awesome?

Did I start a meme? By golly I just might have.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not like there's anything inaccurate about that statement. There are plenty of other shows that try to convince the audience that the MC is awesome when he really isn't.

DuskyPredator wrote:
And what repercussions are there for not winning? Bragging rights? We need a reason to actually care and feel any sort of anxiety over the matches or their outcome.

It's no different from the Olympics or the NHL playoffs. Who wins and loses doesn't matter at all yet people still make a huge deal out of it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, it's not like there's anything inaccurate about that statement. There are plenty of other shows that try to convince the audience that the MC is awesome when he really isn't.

DuskyPredator wrote:
And what repercussions are there for not winning? Bragging rights? We need a reason to actually care and feel any sort of anxiety over the matches or their outcome.

It's no different from the Olympics or the NHL playoffs. Who wins and loses doesn't matter at all yet people still make a huge deal out of it.

what? who win is a a huge deal in sports.
Winner Olympics and world Cup are big deal. The winning country/team get to trash talk to the loser. Sports are kind of replacement for war. The winner normally get alot of money from sponsors later too. not sure about NHL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 33