• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Seas Entertainment Talks about Nymphet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
radda wrote:
Zac wrote:
No. You stop casual acceptance of the sexualization of children.

NO U!

It's a drawing. Fake. Not real. Fantasy. If this was something live action, then I'd absolutely agree with everything you're saying, but it's a freaking drawing.

You're starting to sound a lot like Jack Thompson Zac. You're confusing reality with fantasy.

For crying out loud...let's go over this again. It does not matter that this is a, as you call it, "freaking drawing." As I've said before, while we have free speech rights (and I am eternally glad we do), people must excercise responsibility over that speech as well. Just because you CAN say or publish something does not absolutely mean you SHOULD. Because, like crying "fire" in a theater, sometimes the unfettered speech without responsibility is worse than thinking for a moment and excersizing a slight bit of self-censorship. And right now, we are on the cusp of a moral panic that could wreck the reputation of anime fans in this nation for years to come.

I took a gander at the excerpts from "Nymphet", and all I can say is: If you want to destroy anime fandom and its only recently-gained acceptance in the US, the fastest way is to allow this to be released. It does not matter that this is a drawing. Mainstream america is not going to give a shit. If this hits the mainstream, all anime and manga could be under a cloud, one that fandom will not easily or quickly recover from. A 8-year-old girl saying "I hope you will ejaculate in me?" This isn't Lupin ripping off Fujiko's clothes, or Ryo Saeba getting a mokkori boner. For crying out loud...this is almost tailor-made to offend the mainstream. I was certainly sickened by the excerpts, and I'm an anime fan. Think of how some parent or concerned citizen out in Lubbock, Texas, or Chattanooga, Tennessee, or Sacramento, California or Boston, Massachusetts might react.

Remember, it only took John Lennon making one off-hand remark about Jesus Christ in relation ot the Beatles' popularity to have the Bible Belt burning every spare Mop-Top item they could get their hands on. It only took "Bink" Pulling's suicide to get the media up in arms about "Dungeons & Dragons." It only takes one incident for a moral panic to sweep across this nation.

"Nymphet" looks like it would be the slow-burning match to light the powderkeg. Once again, if you care so little about fandom and the public's opinion of otaku and casual anime fans, then by all means, advocate for this title's release. It's your right. But just don't come crying to me when the blowback happens.

At the same time, I think that Seven Seas' response was measured and respectful - they know this is controversial, and a collective "F___ you" to those upset will gain them no friends. I still don't agree with the rationale completely, but I appreciate them taking a breather to judge the propriety of releasing the title.
FireThunder

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Raelanura wrote:
I think there's a little paranoia in the air around here.

I think there's a lot, and it seems to be centered around the usual suspects. OMG, the sky is falling, the sky is falling! Manga Alert has been bumped to orange!
Madame

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
Remember, it only took John Lennon making one off-hand remark about Jesus Christ in relation ot the Beatles' popularity to have the Bible Belt burning every spare Mop-Top item they could get their hands on. It only took "Bink" Pulling's suicide to get the media up in arms about "Dungeons & Dragons." It only takes one incident for a moral panic to sweep across this nation.

Yet years later, the Beatles are still wildly popular, and D&D is still played by nerds all across the country. Barring someone getting shot like John Lennon, I don't think there's much to worry about, even if the mass media catches onto the whole loli thing.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
I'm betting no one posting against Nymphet has seen the "Proper Condom Use" episode of South Park. Cartman, a 4th grader, sexually pleases a dog because some older kids told him it was a game. This was on US television. Also, in another episode, Cartman is trying to gather semen(he clearly doesn't know what it is) and references getting it from a man in an alleyway. all he had to do was "close his eyes and suck it out of a hose". Then there's the episode where Jimmy(another 4th grader) starts getting erections, and ends up hiring a whore.

Or, hey, what about that restraunt in South Park? Raisins? It's like Hooters, except they're all 8 year olds.

Youre misunderstanding what the sexualization of children is. The key distinction here though is that South Park is obviously produced for humor purposes only. Its not like theres a bunch of out there getting off to Cartman jerkin' off a dog. (or maybe there is, eww...) regardless its obviously not the intention of the show to be anything more than humorous. If thats the case with Nymphet then I don't see anything wrong with it. Its just racy humor just like South Park. The issue is wether it also sexualizes the girl for loli purposes. (Im sick of the term loli, Im gonna call it what it is.) wether it sexualizes the girl for pedophile purposes.

I don't consider anything that I've seen/heard about Nymphet to be of a sexualized nature at all(Well, maybe borderline). Really, it is just for comical purposes.

Air Gear vol. 4 had Ikki taking a dump on the ground while completely naked, was that for the fecal-fetish weirdos to get off on? No, it was there for comical purposes.

EDIT: And there is a large sense of paranoia around this. These boards in general are highly paranoid. Reminds me of the April Fools jokes AS pulls every year(They did a prank on the Sunday night shows too, btw). I saw posts here(and ALL over the internet) that felt like AS was targeting anime fans. Even the mess up when airing the last episode of Eureka, that wasn't really their fault, but everyone treated them like they didn't care and felt like they were being picked on because they were anime fans.

That's straying a tad bit off topic, though.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
radda wrote:
[You're starting to sound a lot like Jack Thompson Zac. You're confusing reality with fantasy.

Jack Thompson says that violent video games cause people to commit murder. Has Zac ever, even once, made any sort of link, explicit or implied, between lolicon and child-rape ?

NO

Thompson wants to ban violent video games with legislation. Zac has said that he finds loli creepy, that he wishes it wouldn't be published, he may have even made comments about people who like loli, but has he ever called for it to be banned?

NO

I can't see, in any way, how Zac sounds like Jack Thompson. Theres a very significant difference between disliking something and campaigning to have it effectively destroyed/banned.

Jack Thompson is a borderline facist, he forces his opinion on people. Zac merely expresses his opinion, and sometimes he influences people, but he doesn't try to force anything on anyone.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Tue May 29, 2007 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Unholy: I saw the Paris Hilton-bashing SP episode, and it got away with similar humour as the manga, since it's also a spoof on the sexualization of little girls. I'm actually surprised they got away with that one, though. But I'm sure they have a quarter for everytime someone's said that.

pat:
Quote:
Just because you CAN say or publish something does not absolutely mean you SHOULD. Because, like crying "fire" in a theater, sometimes the unfettered speech without responsibility is worse than thinking for a moment and excersizing a slight bit of self-censorship.

No one's being held responsible for the President saying Saddam had wmds, even though that led to 500,000 dead Iraqis, and 3,500 dead troops. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
A 8-year-old girl saying "I hope you will ejaculate in me?" This isn't Lupin ripping off Fujiko's clothes, or Ryo Saeba getting a mokkori boner. For crying out loud...this is almost tailor-made to offend the mainstream. I was certainly sickened by the excerpts, and I'm an anime fan. Think of how some parent or concerned citizen out in Lubbock, Texas, or Chattanooga, Tennessee, or Sacramento, California or Boston, Massachusetts might react.

I'm guessing they'll complain about their kids being exposed to it, and then look the other way when they get some assault weapons at the nearest gun show.
Rolling Eyes
radda

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
I took a gander at the excerpts from "Nymphet"

Exactly. You have no clue what you're talking about. If you'd read the manga itself, if you'd see the goddamn context of where this is all happening, you'd realize IT'S COMEDY. That's it. It's all a big joke. If all you can see is little girl panties comments on ejaculation, then you obviously have issues.

I can see the comedy behind the imagery. If you can't, then you're the one that needs help. You're the one with issues. You're the one that is doing it wrong. You're the one that's a threat to the American otaku culture. This will only be a big deal if you make a big deal out of it.

I feel sorry for you. You remind me of the Christian bible bashers that have to look for sexual imagery in everything.

And yes, it DOES matter if I call it a 'freaking drawing', because that's what it is. If you can't see past that, you need help.

@tempest:

You're taking my comment too literally.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
radda wrote:
Exactly. You have no clue what you're talking about. If you'd read the manga itself, if you'd see the goddamn context of where this is all happening, you'd realize IT'S COMEDY. That's it. It's all a big joke. If all you can see is little girl panties comments on ejaculation, then you obviously have issues.

I've read the entire first volume of Nymphet, and I can easily see how, if the title got into the wrong soccer mom's hands, it could, possibly, do a lot of damage to the mainstream perception of manga.

Quote:
You're taking my comment too literally.

No, I'm attacking the very essence of what you said. If you actually meant something else, then you expressed yourself poorly. But I suspect it's more like you're backtracking now that someone has ridiculed the opinion you expressed.

You compared Zac to a near-fascist, which implies that Zac is getting close to fascism ("starting to sound like [a fascist]"). There's no other way to take your comment.

-t
radda

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
No, I'm attacking the very essence of what you said.

No you're not. Let's look at the entire quote, shall we?

Me wrote:
You're starting to sound a lot like Jack Thompson Zac. You're confusing reality with fantasy.

See that last line there? You seem to have missed it. I didn't call Zac a fascist. Stop putting words in my mouth.
blind51de

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm from the Party Van.

Do not worry as Seven Seas will be shut down soon... very soon.

spoiler[I'm inclined towards letting the book ship, its prompt cancellation and following notoriety followed by a bunch of Fox News reports about a "strange new pedophile comic book phenomenom known as 'main-gah' and 'hen-tae'."

Do I think kids IRL actively seeking sex from adults, particularly since most adults are by association in authority over them, sick and in need of therapy? Very yes.

Is the comic tailor-made for pedos? Very very yes.

Is Kodomo no Jikan funny? More or less yes.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a knock on my door. Nothing to worry though since the FBI doesn't really exist in Canada. Pics from outside my window:
]
kas

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

-t

Tempest, we can clearly see by your name tag to the left of your post that your name is Tempest. Do you really feel the need to try and stand out by signing each post with your initial?

Either way, I don't see what the big deal is with Nymphet. From what I've seen, it looks like it'd be a pretty funny manga and I look forward to laughing at the humor in it when I get the chance to read it. Smile
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
:sigh: all this commotion over some loli humor while most of the people who read manga and detest this series have copies of berserk or some equally violent series where people are being raped by bird demons or having faces melted across walls.

I guess as long as the drawn fake people look like they are over the age of 18, anything you do to them is ok.

WHEEEEEEEEE.

(Remembers a story about old church ladies reading every book they hated from a library and trying to get it banned.)
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
I'm betting no one posting against Nymphet has seen the "Proper Condom Use" episode of South Park. Cartman, a 4th grader, sexually pleases a dog because some older kids told him it was a game. This was on US television. Also, in another episode, Cartman is trying to gather semen(he clearly doesn't know what it is) and references getting it from a man in an alleyway. all he had to do was "close his eyes and suck it out of a hose". Then there's the episode where Jimmy(another 4th grader) starts getting erections, and ends up hiring a whore.

Or, hey, what about that restraunt in South Park? Raisins? It's like Hooters, except they're all 8 year olds.

Don't forget the episode with Paris Hilton. Where all the girls except Wendy were acting and dressing like stupid spoiled whores.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mistystuffer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I love their stance on leaving manga uncensored. I've had mine on preorder for over a month now, so hopefully things will get resolved and they'll ship them out. And if there IS that big of a problem, why not just distribute them though anime/specialty stores like Right Stuf, etc.?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Don't forget the episode with Paris Hilton. Where all the girls except Wendy were acting and dressing like stupid spoiled whores.

Yeah, GATSU also pointed that out. Almost forgot about it when trying to prove my point!

That episode is probably the worst, with the whole "stupid spoiled whore sex tape video playset". Even showed what could be considered by some viewers a short clip of a sex scene involving an extremely young minor.

Still a funny episode, though >_>

EDIT: As a small side note, I just saw an AD banner on ANN for Anime Castle which featured Asuna from Negima! in a bathing suit. If I remember correctly, she's only 14.

Last edited by Unholy_Nny on Tue May 29, 2007 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8