• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Then read the series discussion thread here at ANN. That is, if you dare . . .

We went into exacting detail, so even if you don't agree with us you'll at least know the specifics of our complaints against it.
I've managed to avoid major spoilers so far. That's why I haven't read that thread. I was under the impression that most of the complaints where about Asuna in the second half. I didn't realize people had a lot of problems with the first half. It's not that I think it's the greatest show ever. The pacing is a bit wonky and I could concede the complaints about Kirito being a Gary Stu, but I think of it as popcorn entertainment. I am interested to check out the novels now, to see how they compare.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Decided to give Girls und Panzer a chance. So far it's off to a very meh start, if not for Tankery and that ending I'd propably have dropped the show after 5 minutes. I'll give it a few more episodes, but not expecting much. Hopefully they'll have more tanks and less oishii caekii~ (or icecream, whatever).

Also, what's with all the super quick cuts? I thought my stream was skipping at first, pretty annoying.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Finished the aincrad arc of Sword Art Online. So far this series has been pretty solid and I'm not seeing why it gets such hate.

Because "it's cool to hate popular things". =_=
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I marathoned Valvrave the Liberator on CR the other day. An amusing soft sci-fi. Fortunately, while it took itself seriously, it didn't take itself *too* seriously... just enough to make it work (or sorta work), I'd say.

The space battles were pretty neat, and some of the ships and tactics used were interesting. The characters were... more or less okay. Some were really decent, but most were pretty cliched. The girls were reasonably hot, and there was some occasional fan service, but not much -- the show was definitely not focused on that.

As far as the plot... ah... well. Like most of the show, it was hit-or-miss. They did throw in some reasonable twists, but from the original set-up, you could see how a lot of elements were going to work out. A couple of things were downright absurd, though, especially regarding the political plotline regarding Module 77, but the overall politics were so transparent and uninspired it was impossible to take it very seriously. And lots of horribly unlikely coincidences, plus certain actions seemed to occur solely to set up a heartbreaking moment.

Regarding the end: spoiler[while I expected that Haruto would lose his memories, I was hoping he'd keep one or two, then it would flash forward in time to show him creating *new* memories with the people he cared about. But... no. Gotta go for the heroic death instead.] This is an example of the heavy-handedness I'm talking about when it comes to the emotional aspects of the show.

Overall, I thought it was a Decent show, but with a bit more deftness in how it was handled, the show *could* have been Good, or even Very Good. As it is, the individual elements are mixed bags that prevent it from rising above mediocrity.
Kientom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
MacAttack270 wrote:
kientom wrote:
Kokoro Connect. Last stopped: ep 3 or 4. (I practically ragequit this show when it took a turn for the worse (read: harem) as I'm so sick of harem and heavily-stereotyped male lead lately, after whining and bitching the hell outta it on the streaming site of course).

I'm confused; when did Kokoro Connect become a harem anime?

Well, maybe I should have phrased it better. It didn't exactly become a harem but it began to show significant characteristics of a harem, especially regarding the male lead. Here is my reasoning as to why I don't like this series after watching up to episode 4. Forgive me because I haven't had the chance to memorize the characters' names spoiler[(and the fact that they randomly switch body with each other didn't help)

First, the male lead is a massive masochist and they even highlighted this trait by his explanation why his favorite sport is pro-wrestling. Second, he is excessively nice to people around him. He came running to any girl (no matter where his affection lies) the moment they showed a sign of trouble. I just finished the part where he helped the good-at-martial art-but-still-afraid-of-men girl get over her fear by showing her the "secret technique" to temporarily cripple any man (and by doing so, inflict massive damage on himself and immediately win huge appreciation and probably affection of the girl). Then right after that, the headstrong, confident girl shove into him the responsibility of helping another girl ( the one with multiple-personality issues) and of course he happily abide. I stopped watching in the part she started confiding in him. At this rate, it's only a matter of time before the headstrong girl started showing him her weaknesses and insecurities and start falling for him as well. Being nice is basically the absolute killer in the harem genre. Be nice to them and they will undoubtedly fall for them! If you have finished the show, can you tell me I predict this wrong, I can take that much spoiler. Third, he is as clueless as can be. Someone who has watched a decent amount of harem should be able to recognize those cliches and stereotypes at this point.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Kientom wrote:
Well, maybe I should have phrased it better. It didn't exactly become a harem but it began to show significant characteristics of a harem, especially regarding the male lead. Here is my reasoning as to why I don't like this series after watching up to episode 4. Forgive me because I haven't had the chance to memorize the characters' names spoiler[(and the fact that they randomly switch body with each other didn't help)

First, the male lead is a massive masochist and they even highlighted this trait by his explanation why his favorite sport is pro-wrestling. Second, he is excessively nice to people around him. He came running to any girl (no matter where his affection lies) the moment they showed a sign of trouble. I just finished the part where he helped the good-at-martial art-but-still-afraid-of-men girl get over her fear by showing her the "secret technique" to temporarily cripple any man (and by doing so, inflict massive damage on himself and immediately win huge appreciation and probably affection of the girl). Then right after that, the headstrong, confident girl shove into him the responsibility of helping another girl ( the one with multiple-personality issues) and of course he happily abide. I stopped watching in the part she started confiding in him. At this rate, it's only a matter of time before the headstrong girl started showing him her weaknesses and insecurities and start falling for him as well. Being nice is basically the absolute killer in the harem genre. Be nice to them and they will undoubtedly fall for them! If you have finished the show, can you tell me I predict this wrong, I can take that much spoiler. Third, he is as clueless as can be. Someone who has watched a decent amount of harem should be able to recognize those cliches and stereotypes at this point.]

I would say you are kind of simplifying things, the relationship part I think goes a little beyond spoiler[liking someone because they helped them. Their issues are not some magical fix and really other problems pop up]. And really his actions are taken as him really spoiler[being a "selfless freak", sure he helps them, but his actions are actually treated as kind of messed up that what kind of person would actually do that]. Not a "spoiler[yay, you are a hero have a girl]", there is really more of a psychological aspect

I can say that I picked up fairly early on exactly how it would work, and it is not a harem, so yeah spoiler to the actual deal. Yui spoiler[really has no interest in him beyond being a friend, and Taichi's actions actually cause jealousy to Aoki because he was not the one to do it, as well as the issue was not entirely solved.]. Nagase spoiler[did not understand what she wanted, she did not know who she was, and she only starts to think she does because it looks like the right thing to do, Taichi also likely gets involved in in it because he thinks it is the right thing to do and does not stop to look if it is what he wants]. Taichi's actions spoiler[often are even about whether he just wants to do the right thing but he can't stand someone other than himself being in pain.] And spoiler[Inaba, she is a bit of a control freak, and in my opinion she may have already been pushing her feelings onto Nagase for Taichi, calling her just headstrong is a little off base, and her deal is not exactly something you would think typical of harems].
Ignatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:
Finished the aincrad arc of Sword Art Online. So far this series has been pretty solid and I'm not seeing why it gets such hate.

Because "it's cool to hate popular things". =_=

Only when those popular things don't deserve the amount of praise they get. You don't see a lot of people hating PMMM, now do you?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
I have been watching Fate/stay night, currently watched the first 16 episodes. I got this a little while back when I decided to get Fate/zero and decided to watch this first, been putting it off and thought that it was time to watch it since the remake is being broadcasted soon, I should be able to have some opinion on it.

Not anything too amazing so far, well there has been some alright parts. I guess what most annoys me are that the characters feel kind of stupid. For example there was a part when Shirou spoiler[said that he was happy that Saber was back to normal after being hurt, but clearly Saber was acting completely different with more emotions and blushing, yet he acts like it was how she always was]. And the show, or at least Shirou seems to have forgotten spoiler[that he was supposed to consistently had his underclassman visit him, the reasoning was not strong in the first place why she was other than obvious crush].

I have watched it so far in lots of 8. so I expect to finish it the next time I start.
Kientom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I would say you are kind of simplifying things, the relationship part I think goes a little beyond spoiler[liking someone because they helped them. Their issues are not some magical fix and really other problems pop up]. And really his actions are taken as him really spoiler[being a "selfless freak", sure he helps them, but his actions are actually treated as kind of messed up that what kind of person would actually do that]. Not a "spoiler[yay, you are a hero have a girl]", there is really more of a psychological aspect

I can say that I picked up fairly early on exactly how it would work, and it is not a harem, so yeah spoiler to the actual deal. Yui spoiler[really has no interest in him beyond being a friend, and Taichi's actions actually cause jealousy to Aoki because he was not the one to do it, as well as the issue was not entirely solved.]. Nagase spoiler[did not understand what she wanted, she did not know who she was, and she only starts to think she does because it looks like the right thing to do, Taichi also likely gets involved in in it because he thinks it is the right thing to do and does not stop to look if it is what he wants]. Taichi's actions spoiler[often are even about whether he just wants to do the right thing but he can't stand someone other than himsemf being in pain.] And spoiler[Inaba, she is a bit of a control freak, and in my opinion she may have already been pushing her feelings onto Nagase for Taichi, calling her just headstrong is a little off base, and her deal is not exactly something you would think typical of harems].

Thank you that's something off my shoulder. I guess I kinda simplified things based on what little information I have gathered from the few episodes I have watched. As long as the creator didn't take a simplistic approach regarding their relationships I'm fine. I think I can continue watching this even though I still find the male lead annoying as hell!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
PROGRESS TIME!!!!

So, I finished Baccano! a while ago. It's really good guys. Not perfect, but it's not meant to be deep. The animation is great, the characters likable and diverse (Isaac and Miria, Czeslaw, Ennis, Ladd, CLAIRE EFFING STANFIELD, Rachel, Jacuzzi Splot, Chane, etc.), and the jazz score is awesome. Please watch this show.

(Note: Due to Space Dandy's premiere on Saturday night, I might have to juggle six shows at the same time. Being that I will be watching two shows- the aforementioned and Attack on Titan- while they premiere on Toonami, I think it will be relatively easy.)

Let's get started!

Cowboy Bebop
Last Stopped: Boogie Woogie Feng Shui

This show is perfect. No problems so far, and clear skies ahead. I will watch it again to catch the themes of the show, but from my own observations (and the internet), I can piece together a few motifs. For example, we don't know much about any of the Bebop crew's past, and the most backstory we've gotten so far is on Jet, and all we have is that he had some friends and he was a police officer. All we know about Spike is that he was Vicious' bestest buddy before he was betrayed, that Faye spoiler[is older than previously thought and lived in a time before the whole moon-gate explosion incident], that Ein had science done on him, and virtually nothing on Edward's past.

Technically, all of them have nothing except each other. And they all despise each other at worst. (Except for Edward, because she's the only one without a mean bone in her body). It's almost over! I'm so excited. \Anime exclamation/

Fullmetal Alchemist
Last Stopped: Episode One

That was a pretty good first episode. I tried to watch this before, but because of my awful commitment skills, I never saw it past Episode Three. So far, my favorite character is Alphonse, who is an adorable piece of armor. The world is interesting, we've got some intriguing setup, and we've even got set-up for the themes.

Also, the acting is good. I'm especially impressed because Aaron Dismuke is so good as Al, and he was twelve when he recorded his lines. I was told to watch this, and it's good so far.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Last Stopped: Episode Nine

Shinji and Asuka make perfect foils to each other. So far, they've provided plenty of comedy with their interactions. He's a shy kid with depression who just wants his dad to like him! She's a brash and bold child soldier who embraces the way of war! Together, they fight Angels!

Also, yes, I know about THAT scene from END of EVA, thank the internet. So when I saw that scene of Shinji, ahem, almost exploring his sexuality, I got flash-forwards. Still, I like the show so far. I can't wait to see more episodes.

Princess Tutu
Last Stopped: Episode Eleven

Well, we know completely understand why Fakir is as big of a jerk as he is. He used to be such a sweet kid, and he had an adorable friendship with Mytho. Then he got a hero complex and everything went to heck. "I WILL SAVE YOU, MY HERO, EVEN IF I HAVE TO BE A HUGE DOOSH TO PROTECT YOU."

Chris Patton is a really good Fakir. From what I heard, even he couldn't believe how much of a jerk Fakir was at the start. Still, we're starting to see his nice side, which only shows to the little Duck who got in his locker. Daw.

Also, Kraehe's got kind of an Elphaba thing going on. She doesn't actually start accepting her role as a bad guy until Fakir insists on her being evil. Her motivations are completely understandable; she just wants Mytho to love her, and she's afraid Tutu will steal him away. Ah, love makes you insane, indeed. Next episode's gonna bring back memories of the first time I saw this. Very Happy

That's all for now! Till next time!
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
For example there was a part when Shirou spoiler[said that he was happy that Saber was back to normal after being hurt, but clearly Saber was acting completely different with more emotions and blushing, yet he acts like it was how she always was].

spoiler[That was meant about her mana problem, which they ... um ....solved.]

Quote:
And the show, or at least Shirou seems to have forgotten spoiler[that he was supposed to consistently had his underclassman visit him, the reasoning was not strong in the first place why she was other than obvious crush].

Hmm, wasn't this in the adaptation? In the novel he made her stop coming, because it was too dangerous for obvious reasons. As to the nature of their relationship, hopefully the new adaptation will make that clearer.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Only when those popular things don't deserve the amount of praise they get.

"Deserve" is a matter of opinion. Personally I think SAO is less deserving of its hate than its praise.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
"Deserve" is a matter of opinion.

Oh boy girl, you've done it now; you actually went there.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
And now you're going to get dtm42 banned again.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
^
(Doesn't know what a joke is.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 816 of 1061