• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Beyond the Boundary Gets Anime Film in Spring 2015

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't too fond of the series but hopefully this movie will be decent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series, so I'm glad that there will be more. I just hope its not a recap movie...
-Madoka-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
i found the series a bit meh, it had it's moments but as a whole i felt it was a rush job in which they tried to make funny instead of focusing on the actual plot, a failed attempt to mix comedy into a story if you will, which i think dragged it down. That said i was willing to give it a good enough to watch if you got time sort of rating though so it wasn't terrible...

as for a movie though, im confused, there was little left to do with it if you ask me, sure i could see them making something out of it but it wont likely be any better than the series i imagine.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
-Madoka- wrote:
i found the series a bit meh, it had it's moments but as a whole i felt it was a rush job in which they tried to make funny instead of focusing on the actual plot, a failed attempt to mix comedy into a story if you will, which i think dragged it down. That said i was willing to give it a good enough to watch if you got time sort of rating though so it wasn't terrible...

as for a movie though, im confused, there was little left to do with it if you ask me, sure i could see them making something out of it but it wont likely be any better than the series i imagine.

I felt kinda of the opposite. I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and was enjoying it but nothing super special. Then after it finished airing I watched 6-12 or 13 w/e it was and I loved it. I cant wait for the movie. I felt the series was underrated and perhaps its one of those shows thats just much better in a binge. It had a lot of emotion in it
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, more of this show? Man, Kyoani has really let itself go.
king 47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
So this and Tamako get movies, but Hyouka gets the nothing? Damn you Kyoani.
Though I found those two series to not be very good, I somehow enjoyed them. I am waiting to see the Tamako movie.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:

This and Tamako are KyoAni's own properties, while Hyouka is not.
Kannami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
The series had a lot of loose ends to wrap up in my opinion. I didn't think sales were high enough to support a movie, but a certain swimming anime is proving to be a cash cow right now so that may have helped with any needed funding.
king 47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
king 47 wrote:

I know, I just want them to make more Hyouka. I know my demands are unrealistic.
computerandy9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
king 47 wrote:

I know, I just want them to make more Hyouka. I know my demands are unrealistic.

One day mate... one day :'(
what i wouldn't do for more hyouka... or just an official translation of the novels.

Still, pretty happy with this news. While at points kyoukai no kanata did feel a bit rushed and didn't live up to potential. I'm certainly still looking forward to seeing more in that series. Especially after that last episode raised more questions then it answered.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
Though I found those two series to not be very good, I somehow enjoyed them. I am waiting to see the Tamako movie.

Chuuni' also got a movie Razz
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
^Don't forget K on, Haruhi, and Munto.

I really liked this series (one of my favorite kyoani series) , so im really happy its getting a movie. Although like others said, i really really hope its not a recap.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
What can be said about Beyond the Boundary? The plot left some holes open (maybe they'll address issues such as Akihito's origins in the movie?) the characters were okay to good, the humor was mixed (we get it, Akihito has a thing for girls in glasses!)...it all added up to a mediocre fantasy series that I probably would have dropped...But the animation and art brought it to a whole 'nother level. Every episode was filled with absolute stunning spectacle, it was like watching a live fireworks display with a story. Simply stunning! And the soundtrack was above par, too, with engaging op & ed songs and some great insert themes.

I fell in love with the show, and would love a second season. A movie might never make it here legally, or even by other means, and either way it'll take around a year after the movie is released in theaters before it's available here. (I'm so spoiled by simulcasting!) But a movie will certainly be able to bring the pretty, and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Even the ads'll probably be gorgeous!

KyoAni *has* to make more fantasy shows! They're able to break loose from the boring slice-of-life formula and bring something incredible to the genre! They're a really amazing animation studio that needs to branch out more. Maybe even scifi (have they done any scifi since Full Metal Panic?) Or mecha. Something besides sol, comedy and sports.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
^Munto i guess would count as fantasy. After seeing the beautiful action in Boundary though, i agree, they should expand beyond s.o.l./romance/drama. No obvious cgi either in their fight scenes.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I just hope its not a recap movie...

Agreed, would hate to learn this one is a recap. Laughing

king 47 wrote:

I'll join in on this unrealistic undertaking, more Hyouka!

While I know that Beyond the Boundary wasn't a series that got a lot of love, I actually enjoyed most of it. The ending did feel rushed, but it didn't take away my enjoyment of how it ended.

Looking forward to learning more about the movie.

And, I'm hoping that the western release of Beyond the Boundary has the OVA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2