• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament: Nominations (ABOUT TO START)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
We now have 60 nominations (not including the one in this post), and we've hit the target date, so I'm going to say that we'll end the nomination phase when we get to 64.

I'm Nominating: Birth.

This movie can sort of be described as one long extended chase sequence (dotted with scientific, sociological, and philosophical musings). The camera likes to move wildly, and the motion is very snappy and energetic. The designs of the human and inorganic characters is much more simplistic and far from realistic features than most anime is. The effects are simultaneously organic and angular. There's something of visual interest going on constantly throughout the movie, and you can tell that the main focus of everything is in the way things move.

Video

Last edited by Galap on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Voting For
Bobby's in Deep
Cowboy Bebop
From the New World
Katanagatari
Magnetic Rose
Nichijou
Noein: To Your Other Self
Ping Pong
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Redline
Space Dandy
C^3 - CubexCursedxCurious
Kanashimi no Belladonna
FLCL
Gankutsuou
Metropolis
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
The Animatrix: Kid's Story
The Animatrix: World Record
The Tatami Galaxy
Birth

Nominating

Angel's Egg
A movie comparable to to 2001: A Space Odyssey in pace still manages to be truly gripping and chilling because of it's distinctive visual sequences. This is in part due to it's dark, haunting, apocalyptic art style that casts an emotion onto every scene, and also in part due to the fantastic cinematography of the piece. Even if the events of a 10 minute segment could be summed up in a few words, the camera's gaze pulls you toward the environment and causes you to feel the tension of the conflicts perfectly and dynamically. Probably the most dramatic example of this is the one minute still, where a pensive mecha christ sits contemplating his situation.

http://imgur.com/a/jIzGV

Last edited by Ghost_Wheel on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about nominating Angel's Egg myself, so I will support it.

Nominating:
Asura (movie)

Asura is a 2012 movie about a young boy abandoned during the height of feudal-era famine and warfare who grows up as feral child until he encounters a kindly young woman. It is an ugly story about ugly events during an ugly period in history, and definitely not the kind of thing that I would recommend anyone checking out without understanding precisely what they are getting into. (Grisly violence, graphic starvation, infanticide, cannibalism, rotting corpses. . . if you can't handle any of these, don't watch this.) However, it also has a very bold visual look which pairs with unusually deep and dynamic CG-aided 3D animation to make a striking visual impression that is very different from anything else out there.

These are living people, not zombies
Title character
Movie trailer (Warning! Quite graphic)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Voting for/Supporting:

Asura

I was thinking of nominating this one myself, but since Key nominated it I will support it. Its a meditation on violence, human suffering, and struggle with our bestial natures in times of extreme deprivation. The CG elements didn't always work for me, but it does have a unique look and is suited for this tournament. At about 75minutes long it feels more like a 2 hour long movie and as Key stated its not a fun romp. Don't watch it if you are easily depressed.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
I had a posting in process that consisted of a bunch of endorsements, but it got lost when I had to reboot my computer. So given that the deadline approaches, I'll just add a nomination:

Oh! Edo Rocket (2007)

Rocket comes from the fevered imagination of Nakashima Kazuki who originally wrote the story as a stage play for his small acting troupe. Since then he has collaborated on a number of anime productions, most notably writing the scripts for Imaishi's Gurren Lagaan and Kill la Kill. Oh! Edo Rocket was produced by Madhouse and directed by Mizushima Seiji whose more famous works include Fullmetal Alchemist and Mobile Suit Gundam.

Oh! Edo Rocket is set in 1843-44 during the Tenpou Reforms, an effort by conservative forces within the Shogunate to "purify" Japan of evil foreign ideas, particularly "Dutch learning." Among the various reforms was a ban on popular entertainments, seen as distracting the citizenry from the supposed discipline and frugality of an earlier time.

Into this context comes young Tamaya Seikichi, a budding fireworks maker whose ability to hone his craft has been interrupted by the ban. Seikichi continues to experiment in secret and sets off the occasional aerial. He returns home from one of these adventures to discover a lovely young woman who asks him to build her a rocket to the moon.

Stylistically, Rocket looks like nothing I've seen before or since. All the characters are highly stylized with some of them appearing only in chibi forms. Here's a good shot of some of the cast (click to enlarge):
The presentation consistently breaks the "fourth wall" including a New Year's recap episode where the characters talk directly to the audience. At one point some of the characters wonder about another character's identity since that character is "not on the website." Nakashima's Edo includes TVs, bullet trains, the Internet, and space aliens. It also contains some famous historical personages including the two fireworks-making clans, the Tamayas and the Kaguyas, and Torii Youzou who, as Superintendent of South Edo, was responsible for enforcing the Reforms.

For a show set in 1843 with technologies from the 2000's what better choice for a soundtrack than one employing the "big-band" sound of American jazz from the 1930's and 40's (samples here). The main themes in Honma Yusuke's score harken back to artists like the Dorseys but also includes mariachi-flavored pieces and some rock-and-roll. It seems a fitting choice for a show that constitutes such an amalgam of themes. The OP is sung by Puffy. The two EDs are performed by Santara and by Natural High who also worked on Bartender.

Oh! Edo Rocket was, remarkably in my mind, licensed by Funimation and can be seen on Hulu in both subbed and dubbed versions.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
Supporting:
Flowers of Evil
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
So I've been busy for the last few days, and finally got the chance to tally up all the votes, (and add my final few in below).

supporting
The Animatrix Kid’s Story
The Animatrix World Record
The Tatami Galaxy
Kaiba
Angel’s Egg

So we're about to being here! all that's left is for me to make the brackets, imagize and fix up the nominations, and we're OK to go!

I expect to be in business in the next couple of days.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Kind of disappointed Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei didn't make the nominations. Did it even get suggested? Never-no-mind anyway, I wouldn't have piped up because I'll never participate in the tournament. It always just gets boring for me after a little bit in addition to the work involved doesn't really interest me (entirely personal preference, no fault of anyone running it or playing).

Congrats to Galap for becoming the new Tourney Manager.

Oh, another one that I thought really deserved at least being in the nominations is Noiseman Sound Insect.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
There were plenty that should have nominated (and a few that shouldn't have been). I think Penguindrum was mentioned a number of times and no one wrote it up.

But it was like pulling teeth to get nominations, so Galap just stopped at the minimum number whether "obvious" exclusions were left out or "lacking" qualifiers made it.

It's not a definitive list that would resist a critical review as all of the actual greatest, but it's a pretty good selection, enough to have a tourney.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9