• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chaika - The Coffin Princess season 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll edit that then.

Still pretty lame Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
3. If it was up to me Fredica would not have joined the main cast. Why? Well there is an obvious reason for that. She’ way to powerful. She’s basically a walking deus ex. If everyone is in danger she can just bust in and save them (and she does so many times in the series). But of course she is given that “I won’t help unless it’s necessary” personality so she comes at the last minute. I think even the writer noticed he made her to powerful. Take note how she wasspoiler[ taken out TWICE when they invaded the castle and was gone for very long periods of time.] Why would that need to happen hmmm? Oh but of course if she’s walking around there isn’t any tension. Toru, Akari and her working together would probably take out any enemy they’ve faced easily. They really ought to have made her a bit weaker so to not have to force the issue of making her conveniently gone during dangerous situations. This is one of the things that made the last arc weaker because that's some extremely noticeable convenient writing if you ask me.

Well she was obviously spoiler[gone for periods of time as it took her a while to fully recover from wounds of such extent, she might not be full wolverine.] I would not call her a deus ex machine, spoiler[I would instead call it an ace, her strength is reliant on her size, and so far it has been at her what she felt, two times she was made had her get increasingly agitated]. Although the series did end with spoiler[her offering officially contract], so that is where in the future they may have to be careful.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
The almost kiss (after the first kiss) seemed like it was thrown in just to make the shippers scream. But it felt randomly placed to me.

Toru: I'm a tool
Chaika: Toru not tool!
Toru: Thanks lets kiss.

Agreed, I didn't buy their romantic relationship either. It was a straight up pander to shippers and loli-obsessed otaku. Chaika isn't as hardcore of a loli as what we've seen in Dragonar or Black Bullet, but she's still a loli all the same.

Quote:

2. A large part of me really wants Chaika's speak pattern to be normal. It’s really hard to take Chaika seriously when she’s trying to say meaningful things. I’m pretty sure it was added in to add to her moe appeal so i really don’t approve. I constantly keep rewinding Toru’s dream of being together with her talking like a normal person. I think it would have made her character a bit more bearable for me but eh whatever.

It is so obvious to me that the speech pattern thing is just an attempt by the author to maximize Chaika's "moe." It's like taking one of these usual moe characters like the amnesiac girls or the girls who are robots who don't know anything about how to be a real girl, and making it so that they can't even speak properly. "Awww, you poor thing, you can't even speak!! Let big brother help you... hyuk hyuk hyuk." I'm sure the author came up with some contrivance about her speaking another language, but it's just an excuse to amp up her moe. Like I said elsewhere, it just wasn't necessary. She already has more than enough moe.

Quote:

3. If it was up to me Fredica would not have joined the main cast. Why? Well there is an obvious reason for that. She’ way to powerful. She’s basically a walking deus ex. If everyone is in danger she can just bust in and save them (and she does so many times in the series). But of course she is given that “I won’t help unless it’s necessary” personality so she comes at the last minute. I think even the writer noticed he made her to powerful. Take note how she wasspoiler[ taken out TWICE when they invaded the castle and was gone for very long periods of time.] Why would that need to happen hmmm? Oh but of course if she’s walking around there isn’t any tension. Toru, Akari and her working together would probably take out any enemy they’ve faced easily. They really ought to have made her a bit weaker so to not have to force the issue of making her conveniently gone during dangerous situations. This is one of the things that made the last arc weaker because that's some extremely noticeable convenient writing if you ask me.

I was actually fine with Frederica. Yea, she was OP, but I don't think it was abused. She only got them out of a couple jams, and only after they fended for themselves for a bit. I mean, there's really only a couple ways that you can have a dragon as a character in a show that's not about dragons. By their very nature, they are extremely over powered creatures. However, I think it was a good choice to have a dragon as a character here because it increases the sense of adventure and adds some fantastical content to the show. I suppose if they wanted to have a less OP character to add that fantastical aspect to it, they could have had a unicorn as a character but... OOPS, they blew one up at the beginning of the show ;0 Now you see why I thought that was stupid.

But anyway, yea I do think this was the best show of the season just because the season was so sub-par. I actually didn't get all the way through No Game No Life, so maybe I need to finish that one and revisit my position, but right now, if you missed out on Spring 2014 and are wondering which show floated to the top of the heap, Chaika is it.

njprogfan wrote:

New Jersey??? Ha, you have to explain where in the state....(and don't give me a Turnpike exit, that's the cheap way out).

Made me think of either New Brunswick area or maybe the stretch down south near Atlantic City.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Chaika (the show and the character). Didn't really like the villains that were used in the last arc, but spoiler[they all seem to be dead now...so no worry about them returning.]

The world created was good, and I liked seeing how some of the towns they visited were recovering from the war.

Chaika's speech pattern seemed a bit off to me, at first, but I actually started to like it as the show went on. Was also nice to see a male protagonist that could hold his own in a fight and wasn't constantly saved by the females in the show.

I've never touched Scrapped Princess (and probably won't due to the anime's ending seemingly leaving plot threads dangling), so I've no idea what the comparisons to that show mean (outside of the author being one and the same). Laughing

Quote:
The biggest issue it will have to resolve when it comes back for its second half (in the Fall 2014 season) is how to balance the dragon-like character, who seems grossly overpowered because she does not have the built-in limitations that her counterpart in Scrapped Princess did.

No idea what sort of weakness the counterpart had, or the number of weaknesses. To me, it seems like getting spoiler[caught off guard while in human form] may be the only one? That could get old, if used repeatedly.

The need to limit her power only came up in the last arc, I think? Outside of that, there were also times when she just wasn't around to help or was just used as a vehicle to escape.

It never really bothered me, as she didn't seem to be around all that often. Laughing

As for the romance, it was neither here nor there for me. Could do less with Akari being the abusive woman who thinks Tooru is a perv schtick.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

I've never touched Scrapped Princess (and probably won't due to the anime's ending seemingly leaving plot threads dangling), so I've no idea what the comparisons to that show mean (outside of the author being one and the same). Laughing

I'd still recommend Scrapped Princess, and I don't know where you got the idea that the ending leaves plot threads dangling, but from watching the show I wouldn't say that there were any dangling plot threads. It wrapped up quite nicely.

The comparisons aren't unjust though. Sure they have the same light novel writer, and the same anime director, and the same anime studio, but it goes a bit beyond that. They both feature quests in a fantasy world that center around 3 main characters, a pair of sibling and a princess. With a dragon who tags along occasionally.

But thematically, and even in its presentation, there are a lot of differences. I personally find Coffin Princess better, but that doesn't mean Scrapped Princess is bad by any means. I enjoy both, even if Coffin Princess is quite a bit darker than most episodes of Scrapped Princess. (Which is something I tend to like in anime anyway.)
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I've never touched Scrapped Princess (and probably won't due to the anime's ending seemingly leaving plot threads dangling)

Not sure where you heard that, but the anime version of SP tells a complete story with a full resolution at the end. Nothing that is in any way a plot or character development point is left dangling at the end, except possibly whether or not one character really is eventually going to be able to marry another. (But I think anyone who's seen that series would agree that that situation being left dangling at the end would entirely be in character given who was involved.)

Quote:
No idea what sort of weakness the counterpart had, or the number of weaknesses. To me, it seems like getting spoiler[caught off guard while in human form] may be the only one? That could get old, if used repeatedly.

In SP, the dragon-like character was limited in that (minor spoiler only) spoiler[she could only use her offensive/defensive powers by making a pact with a "D-Knight," the extent of that power was partly dependent on the level of trust between the two, and because she had a limited power reserve she could not afford to get involved in any actions against other humans. Though she could advise (and certain conditions could interfere with even that), she could only bring her power to bear against specific kinds of inhuman opponents.]

EDIT: And since Cyclone1993 brought this up while I was typing the above message, I do want to be clear that, if one is comparing a like percentage of the overall series, I find Scrapped Princess to unquestionably be the substantially better title of the two, and for reasons I pretty much stated in the review. In fact, I would consider SP amongst the top 4 or 5 fantasy anime series made to date. This one's going to have to show an awful lot in its second half to even come close.

Last edited by Key on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
It is so obvious to me that the speech pattern thing is just an attempt by the author to maximize Chaika's "moe." It's like taking one of these usual moe characters like the amnesiac girls or the girls who are robots who don't know anything about how to be a real girl, and making it so that they can't even speak properly. "Awww, you poor thing, you can't even speak!! Let big brother help you... hyuk hyuk hyuk." I'm sure the author came up with some contrivance about her speaking another language, but it's just an excuse to amp up her moe. Like I said elsewhere, it just wasn't necessary. She already has more than enough moe.

I don't think it was the actual case. For one how would you compare white Chaika to Red Chaika? Both suffer from the exact same speech pattern, yet is red Chaika's an indication of being a helpless moe little thing that needs protection? In quite a bit Japanese culture, including anime, you will find characters who cannot even speak the language properly be seen as pretty ignorant, and actually comes quite lazy. Yet Chaika did not have this, yes she was naïve, yet she was given respect despite her lack of full understanding of grammar and it should be given some credit, it is not like she was taking in some super childish way with desus and other verbal tics.

And isn't normal speaking Chaika more of a fanservice part of that one episode than the alternative?
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
It's an alright show...

Though if I'm gonna be honest, since the recent introduction of romance into the show the main character is starting to remind me an awful lot of a light version of...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSfTIHFEsc6ICPDxlS8vBMtk67Kv4JB6dFX6BI2kDNs2lFb9dt

Don't do it Chaika! You can be a good show!
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
@Key & Cyclone1993 - I have a bad habit of looking at comments based on last episodes for some older anime series before I decide to check it out. Plenty of the comments I read about were questions that were left unanswered.

I only do this as I've gotten annoyed/frustrated/disappointed with older series that just don't resolve things and didn't get follow up seasons.

Maybe, with some free time coming up...I'll binge Scrapped Princess. Laughing

One thing on the romance in Chaika, I didn't think we'd really be seeing that. But, I made that assumption based ages of the characters.
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
I think the review was a bit too focused on the comparisons to Scrapped Princess. While it's natural to bring up the similarities in the introduction, the audience doesn't need to know that SP handled the dragon sidekick better, because Frederica's role is obviously a flaw on its own. Similarly, you don't need to know that Akari is a more interesting character than Raquel, you just need to know if she's an interesting character or not.

Not to mention the more insidious problem that you're comparing half a series worth of character development to a full series'. Frankly I think Toru is way ahead of Shannon in character development by the halfway mark, but even if you disagree we don't know what'll happen to him in Fall when the series starts up again. Also, what part of early Leo wasn't "generic romcom antics"? Now, if you were explicitly only comparing things to the halfway point I suppose it would be fair, but that's not how the review was framed. The overall feeling I got from it was "this half-series is worse than 26 episodes of Scrapped Princess" which I feel is a bit too negative even if the final score was a solid B. Well, just my feelings on the matter.

On an unrelated note, the implication in an earlier post that No Game No Life had better writing made me laugh out loud.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
On an unrelated note, the implication in an earlier post that No Game No Life had better writing made me laugh out loud.

While I have no particular criticism towards the review, I did found the comparison between the 12 ep series and 24 ep series bit uneven. At the end of the day, some people not enjoying the series because of some flaws, I would understand it. It was not a perfect series even to my eyes though, this is probably what I call my favourite. It didn't stand out but it did everything satisfactorily.

However, I would agree with the quotes. I find No Game No Life just barely entertaining. If you were to just cut the main character Shiro out of the series, you'd have nothing but loli fest. These days so long as the show has the "self-awareness", it can get away with everything no matter how serious the flaw is. I find its mega popularity odd but pretty predictable.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
This season has been pretty terrible. And yes, I have watched No Game No Life AND this. And I feel like they only stood out because the rest of the bunch were so awful. In comparison to what I deem actual good anime, they're just okay, or not as bad as the others. Which isn't a very good thing when the others are at rock bottom quality wise. Not that my opinion is law or anything.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
I find No Game No Life just barely entertaining. If you were to just cut the main character Shiro out of the series, you'd have nothing but loli fest.

"If you remove one of the two lolis, it would be nothing but a loli fest with that one other loli out of 5 or so other female characters" Yep, that makes tons of sense.
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't find the loli ratio relevant to good writing anyway. It's theoretically possible to have an intelligent loli show. Problem is simply that NGNL is really stupid. Made slightly worse by the fact that it thinks it's clever.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This show was great. And that damn cliffhanger... I cannot wait till fall.

Haven't watched the series at all yet and I'm trying to avoid spoilers but it seems that it would best to wait until fall to watch this series?? Or should I bother watching it now and wait for what is known as cliff hanger hell??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5