• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Seas Entertainment Talks about Nymphet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shii

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
If Seven Seas had published Nymphet, it could have potentially been a very dire move for the manga industry in general. They have made a wise decision.
The manga industry survives on worthless tripe like Naruto. There is no danger involved, no risk that a new idea might be criticized. It's kids stuff. I couldn't care less whether they continue to have the ability to do such an insanely boring thing. An industry where they spin the plot generation wheels and out pops a new shoujo story is an industry that is not alive, much less deserving to live.

Seven Seas was a little beacon of hope. I expect them to have the balls to print what they like, and if they can't print it here they can print it in France like Naked Lunch.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
...well, I think its a bit silly that they're stopping publishing it now. To be honest, I think the main problem was with the name 'nymphet'. THAT'S what'll give the series unwanted attention. What was wrong with 'A Child's Time?" or even just 'Kodomo no Jikan", the original title?
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
Since this site had such a big part in the possible cancellation of it being published here we should definitely go with dormcat's idea and hold a poll to see who's pleased/disappointed.

I'm not sure why but for some reason I'm now disappointed this isn't coming over here, that "I want you to ejaculate inside me" scanlation floating around is so inappropriate it's [expletive] hilarious.
tonberryking

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quote
I find it funny how in a movie like Pirates 3 (which sucked btw) there was so much violence and sexual innuendo for a PG rated movie, but it's not okay to release a comic book for an older audience with some jokes about little kids.

[Last comment removed. You want to generalize millions of people and insult them and their society and assume that entire society is to blame for something you do not agree with then you can find somewhere else to do it, that has no place here period. - Keonyn]
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
4chan wrote:
[All references to this post removed. Keep it clean people, flaming and insulting others will not be tolerated. - Keonyn]

Apparently 4chan does not like me...
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:34 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
4chan wrote:
[All references to this post removed. Keep it clean people, flaming and insulting others will not be tolerated. - Keonyn]

4chan doesn't like anybody.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
lol @ Chico

Anyways, I'm done with whatever. Just wanted to throw in that South Park has already done similar things, if not worse things, as what's portrayed in Nymphet.

Maybe, but I'll never (never) be titillated by looking at Cartman's ass. Even if he's wearing panties. Shocked
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
ZaWarudo wrote:
4chan doesn't like anybody.

True.

4chan wrote:
Stop, you're just giving him the attention he wants.

I love attention. In fact, your guy's thread had me laughing to tears. I just didn't expect you guys to actually respond and notice me.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed May 30, 2007 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
kanami

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Well, what did you expect? You're basically a spy over there...
Anyway, Im not sure why they are putting all the blame on Answerman. While I understand his opinion about lolicon, I think that saying "oh no, if people see lolicon they are gonna hate us" is just ridiculous. To me, it seems a very unlikely scenario. Whatever.

My main concern is the way Seven Seas handled this whole bussiness. I can see how they need to answer to the raising concern of people in the internet. I mean, look at what Joe Quesada did about that "hentai" cover for "Heroes for Hire". He just said "I dont know what you're talking about lol". It's unprofessional. However, I thought the people at SS where going to talk about this stuff with their distributors and see if they where happy with the title or not. But suddenly, there is this criptic news bit about how "the us market is not ready for it". I just want to know how the hell did they decided that? I would understand it if the bookstores (or whoever is going to sell the book) decided not to sell it, but if they just made it based on the internet reaction, that's just dull.
tonberryking

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
The whole thing is lame. The issues in Kodomo no Jikan are nothing new in anime and manga and yet they ended up not having the balls to release it. We've seen Sakura's infatuation with Yukito in CCS, Akane's crush on Dr. Tofu, and etc and etc. What's so different about this ****?

I never knew people had so many issues about loli and lolicon esque related material in general.
LoT

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
tonberryking wrote:
The whole thing is lame. The issues in Kodomo no Jikan are nothing new in anime and manga and yet they ended up not having the balls to release it. We've seen Sakura's infatuation with Yukito in CCS, Akane's crush on Dr. Tofu, and etc and etc. What's so different about this shit?

I never knew people had so many issues about loli and lolicon esque related material in general.

Welcome to the world outside of a certain anonymous imageboard.
tonberryking

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the world outside of a certain anonymous imageboard.

Well, to be fair. I like how it is neutral at least. The users hardly bring up religion or ethics when discussing a show or genre. The elitism is tolerable on the level of being lulz.

Still who am I to say? The only anime forums I knew were Gamefaqs from 2000 to about 2005, and the anonymous imageboard in 2006 to now.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
Shii wrote:
Just like Ray Bradbury said:

"There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. Every minority, be it Baptist / Unitarian, Irish / Italian / Octogenarian / Zen Buddhist, Zionist / Seventh-day Adventist, Women's Lib / Republican, Mattachine / FourSquareGospel feels it has the will, the right, the duty to douse the kerosene, light the fuse. Every dimwit editor who sees himself as the source of all dreary blanc-mange plain porridge unleavened literature, licks his guillotine and eyes the neck of any author who dares to speak above a whisper or write above a nursery rhyme." --coda to f451

Hardly so dire. It wasn't the government. It wasn't the church. It wasn't some interest group. It was fans. Manga consumers and Anime watchers, some, who found the content of Nymphet worthy of extra scrutiny. We've come to accept many things as fans of Japanese pop-culture art. We can accept, or at least tolerate, Yaoi and Yuri themed anime or manga. Even the standard heterosexual shenanigans are accepted and tolerated in most manga and anime. Characters in these stories are reasonably portrayed as having gone through puberty, if there's any sexual activity involved. And that's fine with me. We accept one-sided fanservice from female characters which severely needs to be balanced by more male fanservice. I for one look for innovation and new and clever story ideas, concepts, re-inventions, or whatever in new manga and anime. But I believe that we should be able to interject when certain content is proposed. I believe that's what happened here.
Washi_

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
[ANN brought up the discussion and it was a well rounded discussion with people on both sides. Your insults and childish rant have little validity here and is frankly an incredibly disrespectful generalization of an entire site and all who frequent its forums. If you want to complain about people being intolerant you might want to start with a little tolerance yourself, and maybe a little restraint on top of that. - Keonyn]
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
To say that I'm pissed would be an understatement. Mad I've never bought anything from this company before and with this news (supposing it's true and they don't change their mind), I'm not going to start. Of course, I can get the content through other means but as a collector, that's not nearly good enough.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8