• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ARGEVOLLEN (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42: yeah, I see where you're coming from. I didn't like the "you suck at piloting" thing at all, especially in context. As for the ground not being stirred up, I think that's a testament of the show's poor artistry. The uniforms didn't really bother me though: in times older than these, soldiers in our world wore pretty flamboyant uniforms. Sure, their technological level is past where their counterparts in our history did that, but alternate world, alternate development, right?

I think that the attitudes of the soldiers comes down to a difference between combat and non-combat personnel, and I got the impression that a lot of the soldiers were burned out and kind of apathetic.

All in all, I'll keep going with this one for now, but it's likely I won't keep with it much longer.

@blood-:

I'm not trying to 'make it look like I know something'. I'm just saying what my impressions are. And while it's true that I really never like CG, as of late I only really complain about it when it's pervasive and egregious (which is unfortunately becoming more and more common).

As for 'terrible animation', I'm not saying that just because of the CG; the characters and props were pretty stiff looking and there wasn't anything that was memorable there either. Plus, there were problems beyond the usual things I don't like about CG: for example, the shadow patterns on the mechs caused by sunlight through leaves were flat, like they just pasted that texture onto the 2D projection silhouette of the mech, and when the mechs moved the patterns just kind of flatly slid, no consideration of the depth and texture of the mechs' geometry.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
@ Galap - well, your response is politer than my rude comments deserve. I went back and checked out the first few minutes of the show and to me the mechs look pretty good. I would say the animation level is Standard for 2014. It doesn't distinguish itself but I don't feel it craps the bed, either.

However, I have to remember that we all perceive things differently so, naturally, I have no way of knowing what you are actually seeing inside your head.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
Man, I was really really into this show at first. I liked the setting, many of the characters, the girls, the 3D of the mechs looked great and those mech designs were sweet. I was looking forward to watching the rest...

And then the moment spoiler[Private Hotblood saw it was a trailer that was under attack] I knew exactly where it was going. So I'll give it 2 more episodes to do something less bland, because I'm not watching it otherwise. Annoying "How are you even allowed to pilot mecha?" main character getting a free pass to control the sweet-ass robot that's design and interface looks like it's from 100 years in the future" crap doesn't sit well with me anymore.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
For all the complaints about the main, he at least is actually a soldier trained as a pilot. It's been awhile since we've not had a character that was an untrained civilian teenager.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
For all the complaints about the main, he at least is actually a soldier trained as a pilot. It's been awhile since we've not had a character that was an untrained civilian teenager.

It hasn't been that long. Majestic Prince only aired last year and that followed a whole team of trained pilots.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. Another freakishly naive solider that thinks it cool to risk everything by spoiler[going out and fighting when outnumbered and doesn't properly assess the situation but still manages to get things to work out!]

Bleh I'll watch it for the silly mech fights but the cast isn't to appealing yet. The blonde girl really just shows they'll be introducing characters with personalities that don't make sense. If someone spoiler[close to me just died in my arms I wouldn't be so nonchalant about it Confused]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Oh wow. Another freakishly naive solider that thinks it cool to risk everything by spoiler[going out and fighting when outnumbered and doesn't properly assess the situation but still manages to get things to work out!]

Not to mention how spoiler[he had the element of surprise but completely failed to use it. A competent pilot would have taken out one of the two enemy machines straight away to make it a one-on-one but this guy couldn't even do that. He charged down the hill with no subtlety whatsoever and immediately got noticed, blowing any chance of ambushing the enemy.]

If you're going to be reckless and disobedient then at least have the skills and intelligence to back it up.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
If you're going to be reckless and disobedient then at least have the skills and intelligence to back it up.

Skillful and intelligent soldiers aren't reckless and disobedient. He's portrayed as the typical idealistic green recruit. Someone like that would never get a chance to pilot war machinery, but, hey, anime and all.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

It hasn't been that long. Majestic Prince only aired last year and that followed a whole team of trained pilots.

I think he meant a character that wasn't an untrained civilian (hence the "not"). To which I'll bring up Ledo from Gargantia.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
I pended Majestic Prince and don't remember what I saw too well but yeah, Ledo from Gargantia was an elite and experienced soldier. Before him... I dunno. I remember Go from Godannar was a veteran. And I think Setsuna from Gundam 00 had at least some training under his belt, if unofficial and shady. So mecha series leads who are trained/experienced are out there but they're super overshadowed by dudes like Hotblood McGreenpants here.

To make an inexperienced pilot work as a lead you need to not only have them make mistakes like Private Jerkward here does, but they need to be held accountable for them. Doubly so if you specify that the side he's fighting on is controlled by arrogant glory-hungry fools who would never let a turd like him keep the robot.

So that fact will make or break the show for me. And I'm not holding my breath.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
2nd episode, while once again the characters are not anywhere in the "original" territory the execution, as far as I am concerned, is suitable for the premise.

Unless the series somehow screws up amazingly in the next few episodes I will declare this one a keeper as far as viewing habits are concerned.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh, only he can't pilot it! How bloody original. I hope he doesn't get sick or fall down some stairs and die. All that money and materials gone to waste since they will have to junk the thing.

Well, at least they played up the tenseness of the situation some and there was a smidgen of strategy. It was an acceptable episode if a little ho-hum. It will have to do more to get me to commit to the season though. I will give it another episode or two.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Man this army is horrible. They barely chewed out for actually disobeying orders, not even a threat of punishment if he tries something stupid again? You know the reason why orders are important, so some soldiers don't go off and do their own thing, maybe break rules of war. I did see the enemy spoiler[not harming POWs, presumably because they are listening to orders], actually finding it hard to decide yet if I should be rooting for the good guys, which in some ways is refreshing. Other things could be that the call to spoiler[leave one recruit in a prototype to cover them from threats they apparently knew the make up of, when others with experience and equipment]. The tunnels were practically screaming spoiler[to do an ambush] which apparently was decided against instead for spoiler[him to stand out in the open].

And now it is spoiler[set to the pilot, so he has to pilot, or I don't know maybe there should be some design to turn it back to factory settings]? And they let her (a civilian) spoiler[eject open the mech for her to run to they guy the team (one mech) they left back to buy some time for those like her to get ahead]. Plus the decision not to spoiler[tell him that they decided to not tell him that they decided to give him some firepower after all], there are some serious command issues that I find hard to buy even for anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
I love how even after the squad knows spoiler[the enemy is on their tail in the flue and that all they have between them and their pursuers is a rookie piloting a mecha he can't handle ... they still stroll along with zero sense of urgency. Laughing]

Anyway, I really hope this, "h-how does this thing work?!?" stage is over soon because it's boring. And let's see that thing fire a weapon for Pete's sake spoiler[(looks like that might happen next week).]
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
^ He did fire a weapon this episode. Not that he hit anything with it before it was knocked out of his hands!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12