• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fairy Tail (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
They did a pretty nice job with episode 189 all told I think.

Though that's partly due to the lack of need for much in the way of padding.

The new opening and ending are nice. Spoilery of course, but anyone that doesn't expect that of Fairy Tail openings at this point isn't paying attention.

I don't know about other people, but I think this is the first episode since the series returned that I felt the music was spot on.

Though on the animation side, there was a bit too much use of random flashy pattern backgrounds for various things for my liking, though I suppose that's a better corner to cut than some other choices they could have made.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 189, (2014 Episode 14)

New OP and ED, I like the OP at least. Spoilers be damned I am excited over the idea of a spoiler[Dragon Slayer team up, looks like Cobra will even be making a return].

Laxus spoiler[being fired up], now that's cool. As with Erza spoiler[only now releasing her potential and using uber armour], and a spoiler[Gray and Juvia combine attack]. There was not an incredible amount of focus on spoiler[any of the battles, but I guess it is the cost of trying to have them finish at the same time].

And looking at the new villain to come, my thought from seeing spoiler[him head was of Rogue, facial tattoos match the possessed state too and I guess could have something to do with the force commenting on what he was able to do at that time].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
THE MAGIC GAMES ARE spoiler[FINALLY OVER!!!] WOO-HOO!!!

And in a spoiler[most satisfying way, too. I really wanted FT to win and I was terrified the show was going to have Sting beat the remaining five.] Thank God that didn't happen.

I'm pumped - spoiler[the beginning of a new arc!]

Poor Juvia. Doesn't she realize that the real love of Gray's life will always be spoiler[Natsu?]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Laxus] was pretty impressive.
It's been a while since I've seen him fight.
After all the fire & ice, lightning nice for a change.
Some in the streets, others in the castle, each with their own problems.
spoiler[Juvia & Gray] working as a team, awesome!!
spoiler[Erza finally put an end to Sabertooth's girl.
Damn, it's finally over!!
A well deserved victory for Fairy Tail.
And a sweet sweet reunion with Lector ^^]

Perfect!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Which one should I go with?

a) Holy cheap animation and horrible pacing, Batman!

b) The amount of stalling and still frames in this episode IS OVER 9000!!

Sourly disappointed. I loved the manga in this part and the execution in the anime was poor as poor can be. This is what I've been complaining about all along. The Garou Knights fights were extended ad nauseum and were boring as fudge, but the actual cool or important fights like spoiler[Erza vs Minerva] or spoiler[Laxus vs Jura] were resolved in less than a minute each? And a minute of 70% still frames 28% clunky animation and only 2% of anything remotely well animated. Give me a [expletive] break. I think the only well accomplished scene was spoiler[Sting reuniting with Lector], and even that was ruined with the in-your-face still panel after still panel. Ugh

Also, I'm sick to death of the princess and the chancellor having the same discussion about the result of the magic games and eclipse project 2 and the prediction of the person from the future three times per episode. Stop [expletive] stalling so much.

If they felt they needed to extend this arc to give the manga more time to move forward, they should've extended the good fights. What was even the point of bringing back the stupid Garou Knights last episode if they were going to forget about them now? I can't believe it took like 6 episodes to defeat the Garou Knights and they only gave like overall 5 minutes to the spoiler[Jura-Orga-Laxus] battle. I don't know if it's the studio, the budget, the director or whatever, but they pacing of this whole thing has been so atrocious it's getting on my nerves.

Heck, the whole thing was so badly put together that we went from broad daylight (spoiler[the end of the fights]) to nighttime (spoiler[Sting's surrender]) from one second to another, even though it was clear that just a few minutes passed from one scene to the other

It should say something about how bad this is that, even though they're following the manga's storyline (that I really enjoyed) to a tee (except for spoiler[the last appearance of the Garou Knights]), the pacing alone is making it almost unwatchable, at least for me.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

It should say something about how bad this is that, even though they're following the manga's storyline (that I really enjoyed) to a tee (except for spoiler[the last appearance of the Garou Knights]), the pacing alone is making it almost unwatchable, at least for me.

spoiler[
The knights came back in the manga as well fyi, this is not exclusive to the anime.]
javg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Which one should I go with?

a) Holy cheap animation and horrible pacing, Batman!

b) The amount of stalling and still frames in this episode IS OVER 9000!!

Sourly disappointed. I loved the manga in this part and the execution in the anime was poor as poor can be. This is what I've been complaining about all along. The Garou Knights fights were extended ad nauseum and were boring as fudge, but the actual cool or important fights like spoiler[Erza vs Minerva] or spoiler[Laxus vs Jura] were resolved in less than a minute each? And a minute of 70% still frames 28% clunky animation and only 2% of anything remotely well animated. Give me a [expletive] break. I think the only well accomplished scene was spoiler[Sting reuniting with Lector], and even that was ruined with the in-your-face still panel after still panel. Ugh

I'm completely agree with you. My first reaction was, what on earth did I just see??? spoiler[3 battles ( 2 of them were very promising, for me at least) and they ended them in a couple of minutes.]

They could've done some fierced well animated fights, but they didn't. They rushed everything, and what about spoiler[ Laxus defeating Jura? ], please! a bit of consistency is needed ( at least, show more fof that fight)

On the other hand I preferred the first opening (I liked it so muuch). But this one is ok to me.

Finally, one of the best thing that I can think about, is that we are moving to the next arc wich I'm really eager to watch (I haven't read the manga).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

spoiler[
The knights came back in the manga as well fyi, this is not exclusive to the anime.]

Oh, sorry, must've forgot. They're so annoyingly irrelevant to everything, had I not read the manga I would think their entire existence is Anime-only

@javg
I have no problem withspoiler[ Laxus defeating Jura]. I honestly got sick of Fairy Tail losing so badly and ridiculously on the first days of the games that I don't really care how absurd all of their following victories could be. But I am extremely pissed off to see that amazing battle being resolved in a minute, whereas the stupid Garou Knights battles took over half of the first cour. It wasn't even that long in the manga, but I thought, since the anime's been stalling so bad, that they'd extend the fight and add some cool to it (like what they did with Erza vs 100 monsters on the third day, in the manga we didn't get to see that fight at all, but the anime extended it and it turned out really well. I just don't know what this studio/director/screenplayer is thinking, but every week I find it harder to force myself to watch this.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm pumped - spoiler[the beginning of a new arc!]

Umm, spoiler[it's not the beginning of a new arc, it's the beginning of the conclusion to the current arc. Both the tournament and the Eclipse project have been part of the same arc since the beginning. We've resolved the tournament part of the plot, now to resolve the eclipse gate part of the plot.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Technically, that's true, but with the spoiler[end of the Magic Games (at last) and with the Eclipse cannon thingy about to be finally fired,] it sort of feels like a new arc to me. Plus, nothing says "new arc" like aspoiler[ new OP & ED]. Come on, GrayArchon, loosen up, dude! Wink
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I also had no problem with episode 14. In fact I really liked spoiler[seeing Laxus unexpected beat the tar out Jura, another Gray/Juvia combo attack, and Erza handing gravity girl her ass.] Still I can't help but be a little disappointed that spoiler[Sting didn't even try, even though by Fairy Tail logic he would have lost anyway due to Nakama Power.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Poor spoiler[Future Lucy] Anime cry

Looks like spoiler[Future Rogue will fight against Natsu] next time. Let's see how that goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote

spoiler[It's official and well deserved!
Now they can celebrate properly.
Things were done on the outside.
The inside of that castle was still filled with conflict.
Floor sinking weirdness peaked my interest.
I knew there was something else going on.
But to think it was future Rogue, didn't expect that.]

Guess things are never boring for Fairy Tail.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 190, (2014 Episode 15)

Woah, not only spoiler[threatening Lucy], but spoiler[killing her (future her) too], well spoiler[Future Rogue] can expect the full extent of spoiler[Natsu's rage]. I think I saw a bit of spoiler[lightning there].

Happy spoiler[crying over future Lucy was felt like one of the saddest things] I have seen in a while. At first I was not too phased as hey spoiler[it is just a future self, and those never last, Lucy has already lost Éclair and Imitatia in similar circumstances]. But just the realisation of what Happy was saying about spoiler[the close friendship between them, that despite the petty comments between them, or maybe because of those, there was the fact that he cared for her so much regardless of timeline]. That Lucy spoiler[is not a fake Lucy either, she went through everything ours did, but she even lost everyone, and when she finally got to see them again, her time was cut]. Damn well spoiler[I cried], when this show can do that, I greatly enjoy it.

I get the feeling spoiler[future Rogue] is being spoiler[tricked himself into stopping Lucy].
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact, Mashima apparently found episode 190 so impressive that he was talking about it ahead of time on twitter.

I can see why. It was nicely done in general, and the VAs in particular did an excellent job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 57