• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Dub Cast Revealed at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Hinata/Orihime as Usgai? I did not see this one coming! I placed my E-money on Cristina Vee as Usgai. But still.....Sheh as Usgai!
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy right now i may bust a nut Razz that said as an old fan of CA dubs this cast is epic
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:

BTW, what's this I'm hearing about Viz introducing the new cast in front of the original voice actors? That must've been awkward.

what

That's so weird...
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
Even Linda Ballantyne. But in a role more suitable to her voice range.

When Linda Ballantyne wasn't told to mimic Terri Hawkes voice for Serena, she did a pretty good job as voice of 3/4 of the villain characters.

And yeah, I believe that the original dub cast was announced to be at Anime Expo around the time Viz revealed they had the license, leading people to believe that they may be coming back.

Last edited by LUNI_TUNZ on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people don't see Stephanie Sheh voicing as Sailor Moon, but in some retrospective, I can.

A lot of people just compare Steph to Hinata and Orihime since those are two of her biggest roles...yet, you have forgotten she's done other roles such as Mikuru Asahina and Akira Kogami. Her voice can go high, and can go low... I believe she'll do good for Usagi. Usagi's japanese voice is pretty high, so I think this'll be a good watch.

I can also totally see Cristina Vee as Sailor Mars because she did an awesome job voicing Mio, but she has also done Nanoha, Louise... so she can do high and low voices too, and she's very talented in my own opinion.

>>>Though I do kind of thought that perhaps Steph's voice could also match Mercury too...<<<
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
This comes from someone who saw the redub at the expo and posted their opinion in the Sailor Moon forums.

SoldierOfTheSun wrote:
Guys, I just had a super long day at anime expo but wanted to share a few scattered thoughts after seeing the first two episodes of this new dub at the viz panel.

Overall I thought it was a very good adaptation, if not always a direct translation. For instance in episode 2 when Umino flips up Haruna's skirt, instead of yelling "Now no one will marry me!" (a moment I have always found strangely hilarious) she yells, "I'll never live this down!"

Shingo's voice sounded WAY too mature for a 10 year old boy. At least to my ears. Not sure what inspired Viz to cast an older male instead of woman or young boy actor.

Tuxedo Mask/Mamoru sounds *perfect* although I felt a tinge of fan guilt with Toby Proctor sitting just a few rows away with the rest of the original dub cast in the same room. :blush:

Usagi herself was fine. No real complaints from what I thought to be a very competent if overly cutesy performance. Tracey Moore will always be my number one though! :love:

The rest of the cast all sounded spot on or at least very good. Luna took the most getting used to for me as she sounds nothing like either Jill Frappier from the 90's dub or our beloved original seiyuu Keiko Han.

I will reflect and share some more after I've had a bit of rest this evening!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That's a pretty awesome cast.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:

BTW, what's this I'm hearing about Viz introducing the new cast in front of the original voice actors? That must've been awkward.

what

That's so weird...

I watched the stream of the panel portion. The hostess (with an incredibly shrill voice) was like "The original dub cast is here, come up on stage". After they were up, they were shoo'd off, then she introduced and called out the Senshi and Tuxedo Mask's new voices (along with a cosplayer of each character), had them sit up on stage, and introduced the rest of the cast via a couple powerpoint slides on the screen.

It was about that time that the stream went down, due to them playing video.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
=(

Well daaannng
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
This comes from someone who saw the redub at the expo and posted their opinion in the Sailor Moon forums.

It's been 12 hours and no one has uploaded a video of it on Youtube, yet?

This must be what living in the stone age feels like.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
I was thinking the SAMMME THING, LOL
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
When Linda Ballantyne wasn't told to mimic Terri Hawkes voice for Serena, she did a pretty good job as voice of 3/4 of the villain characters.

Which voices did Linda do? There are conflicting reports and when asked about it in an interview, she couldn't remember the characters she did because there was so much.

Dessa wrote:
I watched the stream of the panel portion. The hostess (with an incredibly shrill voice) was like "The original dub cast is here, come up on stage". After they were up, they were shoo'd off, then she introduced and called out the Senshi and Tuxedo Mask's new voices (along with a cosplayer of each character), had them sit up on stage, and introduced the rest of the cast via a couple powerpoint slides on the screen.

It was about that time that the stream went down, due to them playing video.

So it IS true. That's terrible. I actually had a bone to pick with Viz and their whole "wait and see" approach since I felt they should've told us in the very beginning that no one from the original dub would be returning. From a business perspective, I understand they probably didn't want to alienate DiC fans any further since some of them have been very vocal about the decision to restore the original names and background music. But still, tactics like this make me not trust that company.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

I always wondered why fans don't go to conventions with those hidden camera glasses. Not that I'm promoting illegal activity. I'm just curious as to why no one ever thought of doing it.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Which voices did Linda do? There are conflicting reports and when asked about it in an interview, she couldn't remember the characters she did because there was so much.

Actually, I was mistaken. While I knew Linda did Sailor Moon after S, and Octave for sure, I was thinking of someone else who took on lot of villain roles.

Quote:

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

I always wondered why fans don't go to conventions with those hidden camera glasses. Not that I'm promoting illegal activity. I'm just curious as to why no one ever thought of doing it.

It's not really illegal. I mean, it's about as illegal as that video I uploaded from that episode of Monday Night Raw I went to, WWE still hasn't ran me through even though the tickets say "NO RECORDING DEVICES, DON'T YOU DARE RECORD VIDEO OF ANY OF THIS, GODDAMMIT!"

Worse case scenario they just file a copyright complaint and have the video taken down.

rainbowrabbit wrote:

So it IS true. That's terrible. I actually had a bone to pick with Viz and their whole "wait and see" approach since I felt they should've told us in the very beginning that no one from the original dub would be returning. From a business perspective, I understand they probably didn't want to alienate DiC fans any further since some of them have been very vocal about the decision to restore the original names and background music. But still, tactics like this make me not trust that company.

When Zac posted the interview from the guys from Viz and they sort of half answered the question about returning actors by going "HAHAH! WELL, THERE'S NO DEFINITIVE VOICE TO ANY CHARACTER, THEY ALL CHANGED ALL THE TIME AND ALL SOUNDED TOTALLY DIFFERENT. HEHEHE... HEHEHE!"

I knew then that none of the actors were returning. In fact, here's what I said verbatim.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Phibby wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
One of the things about the previous dub is that there were so many cast changes throughout that there's no one Sailor Moon, there's almost no "one" of anybody.
And no, Moon herself had three different English VAs: Tracey Moore for dub eps 1-11, 15, and 21; Terri Hawkes for eps 12-14, 16-20, 22-82, and the movies; and Linda Ballantyne for eps 83+.

I was speaking figuratively.

I know Moon had 3 voice actors, but no one thinks of Tracey Moore's rather bland interpretation when you talk about Moon, and Linda Ballantyne was basically made to imitate Terri Hawkes' performance.

That whole bit was basically their attempt to quell expectations about people's favorite voice actors returning.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
Wish I had been able to attend the panel and gotten autographs from the voice actors. I didn't even know who was gonna be in it but I rushed to get tickets. I got one but the line was too long and totally a mess so I ran to the funimation booth to see Sean Schemmel Chris Sabat and Justin Cook instead. Lol I went to AX for Sailor Moon and didn't end up really getting to get into any stuff related to it.

Last edited by supersqueak on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
I did grab one of those Sailor Moon posters at the ANN panel though lol it may be unsigned but It will look nice on my wall. That was a nice consolation prize.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7