• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
Why is it that Intergalactic societies are always ruled by monarchies? Why do they always take their military fashion cues from 18th century Europe? Why is it that Intergalactic societies with technology far in advance of Earth's always seem to have a hard time taking over our planet? The Martians are clearly technologically superior but they've had to wait 15 years before working up the mojo to invade? Why is Princess so clueless about Earth? ("I...I hear the air and water of Earth is - blue??? Can this fantastical bit of information actually be true???") They don't have picture books or Internet on Mars?

I don't expect these burning questions to be answered, but, oh well. I wasn't riveted, but I'll continue to hang around for a while and see what's what.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Makes no sense why spoiler[anyone with sense would do such a short sighted attack just to have maybe millions of people killed, I call it as an excuse.]

And I totally could have done with been told who was writing this before spoiler[seeing lots of people suddenly disintegrated]. The spoiler[princess we were being told to be important suddenly being killed] could also fit into it, but I have the feeling that spoiler[there is a chance she is still alive]. Well based on his other work this is going to be something to look into.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
^
The princess is spoiler[probably alive given the plot protective charm she was given.] We never saw spoiler[her actually die, plus that could have been a body double.]

As for who would be so crazy as spoiler[to attack her, well terrorists aren't exactly known for their sanity.] Plus how do we know that spoiler[a faction in the Vers Empire wasn't behind it, to give them a pretext? They sure mobilised exceedingly fast, plus there was those cryptic comments from the dude talking to the Count that maybe it would be for the best if the princess was attacked.]
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Why is it that Intergalactic societies are always ruled by monarchies? Why do they always take their military fashion cues from 18th century Europe? Why is it that Intergalactic societies with technology far in advance of Earth's always seem to have a hard time taking over our planet? The Martians are clearly technologically superior but they've had to wait 15 years before working up the mojo to invade? Why is Princess so clueless about Earth? ("I...I hear the air and water of Earth is - blue??? Can this fantastical bit of information actually be true???") They don't have picture books or Internet on Mars?

I don't expect these burning questions to be answered, but, oh well. I wasn't riveted, but I'll continue to hang around for a while and see what's what.

The answer to all those question was known before we even saw the first episode "gundam did it"

Quote:
So far, it's excelling at operating on many different levels of scale: talk about political tensions of the entire world overlaps with the characters talking about the way they like their eggs. Everyone seems like a real individual with levels of nuance to them, for example, the teaching instructor isn't just an idiotic drunk, but also has a unique worldview that doesn't jibe with his society. The older sister character is cute-acting, but serious about her work. She chastises the lieutenant for drinking on the job, but also apparently sees some good in him too.

I don't know what your talking about, we cut from the main character asking his sister how she want her egg just too reveal he already cooked it (so, is he a jerk or just dumb?) to the kid watching a video of event that just happened to them and really should be common knowledge on the bus, I mean it be like if japenese in 1960 got together and were all "so Nagasaki and Hiroshima were destroyed by a nuclear bomb in 1945", how did they never learned that before hand, they were alive when it happened? Then you have two military, one's drunk on the job (try that out in the military and see how long you last) and another one who's late (apparently always late, again military aren't exactly known for there lax nature) and yet there both somehow training cadet. The show try to build this credible world with a tragedy going on, but at the same time does it's best to break any tension and realism.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The main character saw missles coming and act as clam as ****. it look like this anime is good to have alot of bloodshed.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
This story is so similar to Killzone except the 'alien' is ridiculously op because earth's technology was apparently stuck on early twenty-first century. It's hard to believe that the Martians were able to establish their own nation without any reprisal from Earth. If anything Mars would've been a torn battlefield with every country on Earth vying for this 'alien' technology. Oh well, I'm curious how the Earthlings will fight back so I'll try a few more episodes.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Just gonna copy/paste from the preview talkback:

Aldnoah.Zero gets a 2 from me at this point. Pretty much the only thing the show has going for it right now is the visuals/art and animation, which are all pretty stunning.

However, the story thus far is awful. First of all, these Vers people are some super advanced race with mega awesome spaceships and whatnot, and they send their princess down in some cheapo limo for a goodwill mission? Even if it was an armored limo, that just seems utterly ridiculous to me. You would think they would have some kind of high technology vehicle with advanced defense capabilities, or if they didn't, they wouldn't just send her riding about in some limo as an easy target for attack.

Additionally, the whole concept of aliens that are essentially the same as human beings is a bit unoriginal. I get that the writers try to come up with an explanation for it, but that explanation came across as kind of weak and not something that had a lot of thought put into it.

The characters so far seem very stiff too. Particularly, one of the Japanese kids who I'm assuming is going to be one of our heroic mecha pilots, he was unusually calm and nonchalant about saying "yea, there's a missile coming this way." I'm sure it was supposed to make him look extremely cool and everything, but it just came across as pretty idiotic.

I also thought it was kinda silly that they destroy New Orleans. (Hasn't that city suffered enough!) But seriously, if they are going to use an American city like New Orleans as a set piece, I would much prefer that they actually use characters from that city to contribute in some way to the story and not just use it as something to destroy for the public's entertainment.

Overall, I don't think there is much to impress with this show at present. It seems pretty much all style and no substance.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
people in ANN forum are funny. why every one of them act like they are some kind of professional writers?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
people in ANN forum are funny. why every one of them act like they are some kind of professional writers?

Because how else would we feed our egos?

And some prefer to be on a forum like this rather than some that can be filled with trolls.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And some prefer to be on a forum like this rather than some that can be filled with trolls.

Yeah that is why I love forums like ANN. The lack of trolls. The only troll is the guy who appears every few months talking about Asian cosplayers being superior to the western ones lol. I lose brain cells reading some of the stuff on MAL forums.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
You would think they would have some kind of high technology vehicle with advanced defense capabilities, or if they didn't, they wouldn't just send her riding about in some limo as an easy target for attack.

That was kinda the point, as it's made pretty clear it was an inside job.

Last edited by Vaisaga on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
You would think they would have some kind of high technology vehicle with advanced defense capabilities, or if they didn't, they wouldn't just send her riding about in some limo as an easy target for attack.

That was kinda the point, as it's made pretty clear it was an inside job.

I don't think this was merely due to it being an inside job, if that's the case. An inside job would still be done in a way where people wouldn't automatically assume it was that. It would be like secret service having the President go about in a VW beetle rather than the tank car that they put him in these days. It would be obvious incompetence. No, this was just lack of effort on the part of the writing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Also, the princess strikes me as the sort of person who'd say "A high tech car? Oh don't be silly, why do I need one of those? This is a goodwill mission, no one is going to attack me!"
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yeah that is why I love forums like ANN. The lack of trolls. The only troll is the guy who appears every few months talking about Asian cosplayers being superior to the western ones lol. I lose brain cells reading some of the stuff on MAL forums.

You're confusing trolling with stupidity here. Admittedly there's not that much of the former in ANN, but there's enough of the latter. It's just coated in smarter words.

EDIT: As for the show itself. I haven't got much of an opinion about it yet. The Urobuchisms don't have an effect on me anymore so it's thoroughly meh for now. Just hope they don't overdo with gundam-killing. It's not that difficult to make a better series than most of Gundam unless you're trying too hard.

Last edited by jl07045 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about this series. I've been hyped on it since it's an Urobuchi, but unlike his other original series I've seen (Madoka, Gargantia, and Gaim), it did nothing to grab me. Honestly, it felt like this should be a Sunrise show and they slap the title Gundam on it, for how generic it was.

I mean, sure, Urobuchi's outdone himself from Madoka (spoiler[Mami's death in episode 3]) and Gaim (spoiler[Yuuya's death in episode 1]) with spoiler[potentially thousands of people dying in the colony-- I mean "castle" drops], but what I've liked of his writing is the character development (which generally leads to derailment, but in ways that work).

The only character who's even been given any sort of development at this point is Slaine, and even then it's bare bones. By the end of the first episodes of Madoka, Gargantia, and Gaim, we had a much better handle on the main character's personality, and even a few of the secondary characters. Heck, even Fate/Zero we had a better handle on all the introduced characters by the end of episode 1. I can't even remember any character's name other than Slaine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 90