• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's When Marnie Was There Film Trailer Aired

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
Beautiful, I seriously can't wait for this film Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
I was really starting to wonder when we'd see trailer for this, given that it's coming out so soon.

It looks to be one of the most visually down to Earth Ghibli films, even more so than Arrietty, which had its more fantastical moments. Yonebayashi's style seems to be very different from the "usual" Ghibli style, but that can make for a refreshing change of pace.

Definitely looking forward to this though, it seems like a pretty sweet and relaxed movie.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:28 am Reply with quote
I love that Yonebashi's animation style is starting to come into its own. Very excited to see this in a few weeks.
Pangea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
This will be the only movie that can comepte with Patema Inverted.
Sooo looking forward to it...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
I hope that music stays with the eventual English dub, and being yet another British story adaptation I also hope that dub will be British, like Arrietty was too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Seems the old man isn't working on this one at all, so I'll be glad to see how it turns out without him.
DustyKramKram

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Saw the full trailer for this last night before ALL YOU NEED IS KILL. Nearly brought me to tears. Has a sort of HEAVENLY CREATURES vibe to it. Pretty big shoes to fill if you ask me, but I have faith in Yonebayashi.

Also, the full trailer seems to indicate that the girls' relationship is indeed romantic.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This was announced six months ago, and it mentioned then it would be coming out this summer, but it still feels like the time between the announcement and release just flew by.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Ghibli's release 3 movies within a year.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
I'll watch anything from Ghibli. And if I sound like a fanboy then that's because that's exactly what I am. I love Arrietty so I'm expecting the same from this film.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
This won't gross anything near Frozen's 24 billion yen, but it will dethrone either it or Maleficent for sure. Anyway, this movie looks REALLY bland. Granted, one could make the claim that all Ghibli films look the same, but here it's just annoying. Why do Ghibli films lack detail, relative to let's say, Madhouse films or IG films? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ghibli co-produced Innocence and it was responsible for some of its animation. If that's the case, why does Innocence look 1000X better than a film produced a decade after it? Innocence's visuals are not only significantly sharper and more realistic, but the detail in character designs(especially eyes) and effects are much superior. It's not like the budget for Innocence is more than Ghibli movies. It cost 2 billion yen. Ponyo cost 3 billion yen. Mononoke cost 2.4 billion. Spirited cost 1.9 billion, yet they ALL look under-detailed. People always compare Disney to Ghibli, but come on, Beauty and the Beast looks much better than all the Ghibli films. So does Aladdin, in fact. Why can't Ghibli use hyper detailed character designs?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Why do Ghibli films lack detail,,,,?
Explain "detail."
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
DustyKramKram wrote:

Also, the full trailer seems to indicate that the girls' relationship is indeed romantic.

Wait is there a longer trailer than this one? Is it online anywhere?
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Why do Ghibli films lack detail, relative to let's say, Madhouse films or IG films?

Because Ghibli puts a higher value on movement and poses which express and reflect human personality, rather than 'detailed' designs or effects. Much as I like GITS Innocence, I'd challenge you to find many good instances of such animation in that film, except (tiny spoiler) the teen girl who appears near the end, whose animation was actually compared to Miyazaki's in the commentary track.

Hyper-detailed characters are extremely difficult to _move_ in a character-ful way.

Yes, Disney's character animation is (very often) better than Ghibli's, but the character designs also tend toward simplicity, even in the days of CGI.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki is clearly a fan of abstract art covers typically used or imagined for use on Criterion releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2