• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Brynhildr in the Darkness

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is actually very great. Just the episodes are not enough to finish the story from the manga. Great story, great animations, great character designs. The music is the problem: the 1st opening song is super but the 2nd one is really something and the ending song is excellent.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I liked the metal opening better. At least it woke me up.

But the characters, I felt, were rather annoying. I can't handle them going crazy over the indirect-kiss that frequently ruins anime. I didn't think that Ryota was that interesting at all... I mean, he seems just as determined as a normal insert lead.

But those flesh puddles were so like, ok whatever, that is ridiculous. I felt so cheated too, with the several instances where characters would "die" and come back to life.

A really, really huge disappointment for me.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Like the anime, but i wish it hadn't been rushed. I guess the producers didn't think they would get another season. Pretty sloppy cramming so much into so few episodes. No faith in renewal i guess. Same on them.
Dr. Cakey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Worst anime of the season? Worst anime of the season. And it wasn't exactly lacking in competition.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
^Um, no. At the very least I'd still rate this above Dragonar Academy, which had no redeeming values. (And I'm limiting myself to the seven series I've actually finished so far.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
so I'll just say that the last two episodes pissed me off so much, I was screaming at the screen. You don't cram 37 chapters into 2 episodes! You don't completely change scenes only to act like the scene happened correctly. Last two episodes ruined this.

I stopped at episode 11 to catch up with the manga and by the sounds of it I'm now dreading going back to see the last 2 episodes.

And the second OP was much better than the first and I'm not really that into metalcore but I love that song.

Dr. Cakey wrote:
Worst anime of the season? Worst anime of the season. And it wasn't exactly lacking in competition.

Go watch Fuuun Ishin Dai☆Shogun, second most painful anime I've finished this year.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This was a fair review overall, still think it was rather generous in the grading department. I thought Elfen Lied was a terrible concoction of deeper themes with weakly explored story elements and some ridiculous plot-conveniences, but I was hoping for an improvement with this series. Brynhildr is pretty much worse then it's older sister in every major respect. It lacks the grey morality of it's predecessor. The way magic is used bends everything for the sake of plot convenience. spoiler[Like how Kana can predict the future when people die, yet failed to warn anyone about the deaths of Ryouta/Kasumi/Kotori (two of those were only temporary, but still, a death is a death). Or how Hatsuna can revive people at the cost of merely turning into jelly for a short while, or how the last button of the harnest supposedly has a 99.99% chance of killing a witch yet both Kuroha and Kana won the freaking lottery.]. Stuff like this destroys any attempts at suspense the show tries to make, it's just awful and see-through.

Not really sure what makes the cast particularly endearing and worth sitting through this mess of a plot as this review seems to imply. It's just a very average harem title at best. I didn't really care for the constant bath scenes and boob humor.

Last edited by gedata on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bolaum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^Um, no. At the very least I'd still rate this above Dragonar Academy, which had no redeeming values. (And I'm limiting myself to the seven series I've actually finished so far.)

Just curious, what are the other 5? Razz
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The rating is a bit lower than what I would have given it, but overall I agree with the review. This was one of my favorite series of the season, and the one I looked forward watching each week. Nevertheless, the last 3 episodes felt incredibly rushed to me. Such a shame too, as it would have been a lot better if they had another season (or at least a couple more episodes) to spread out the story. At least I have the other 10 episodes to rewatch. And count me along with the others who liked the first opening a lot more than the second. Considering how much I hate screamo, the second opening wasn't that bad, but its not a song I would download. I liked its electronica backing beat though. Oh, and I also liked Neko and her character design.Kazumi also grew on me as the series went on.

Last edited by kevinx59 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Nobunaga the Fool gets a C- but this only gets a C? How do you guys even judge...
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Bolaum wrote:
Key wrote:

Just curious, what are the other 5? Razz

Aside from this one and DA, I also watched out Chaika the Coffin Princess (reviewed), Riddle Story of Devil (reviewed), Nanana's Buried Treasure (reviewed), This World is Still Beautiful (review by Rebecca - my favorite of the season, hands-down), and Soul Eater Not!. I am an episode or two short of finishing Blade and Soul, which I might eventually review since it has turned out better than I expected.

And meepsheeps: Keep in mind that those were done by two different reviewers. As the Preview Guide should be showing you, you never should assume that we'd all give the same titles the same ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bolaum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Aside from this one and DA, I also watched out Chaika the Coffin Princess (reviewed), Riddle Story of Devil (reviewed), Nanana's Buried Treasure (reviewed), This World is Still Beautiful (review by Rebecca - my favorite of the season, hands-down), and Soul Eater Not!. I am an episode or two short of finishing Blade and Soul, which I might eventually review since it has turned out better than I expected..

I see. How long does it normally take until you guys post the last review for the spring season?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Hey now, Dragonar did have some tits. And a whole bunch of tentacle scenes, if you'll take those no matter how awkward and poorly done they are. .... and yeah, that's basically it. I only finished Dragonar because I needed some background noise/visuals a few times a week.

At least Brynhildr and Mahouka (which I'd also consider worse than Brynhildr) have some entertainment value and are bad in notable and interesting ways.

Oh, and I guess I'll join in on the OP issue. The first OP was great, easily one of the best in some time. The second one is absolute garbage and it's all the more insulting for what it replaced.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I would have personally given the series something closer to a B or B-. It's without a doubt hampered by the episode count. But, as messy as that turned out to be, I also think that if they tried to be as deliberative as would be necessary to stretch for a full 2 cour, it would have likely suffered on that end, the pacing being too slow. That being said there was sufficient opportunity they could have balanced things out better in the prior episodes to make it fit together better.

A number of the story inconsistencies people have brought up are - sensing a theme here - handled poorly because of the way the story is rushed. Like the whole thing about it only being girls with the aliens, that seems to me spoiler[to be meant to align with the idea of women as the creators of life, which given the goal of the organization being the creation of "super humans" should be relatively apparent and not something you can really come out and state]. Others are things I believe were explained better in the manga but got cut from the anime. I just think the grade of a C is a little too harsh.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I would give this series a solid B (or 8/10) if I were to grade it. Being a fan of the manga long before the anime was ever announced it was nice to see everything animated. That being said I was really into it for the first few episodes but around half way through I noticed that they started to tush things horrendously. All in all it was a decent anime that adapted its manga better that its predecessor (Elfen Lied) by leaps and bounds. I also agree that the first OP was MUCH better than the 2nd OP. Idk what they were thinking with the second OP, the first one was something I really enjoyed. You don't really see OPs that are solely instrumental and it gave the perfect vibe for Brynhildr. Overall, decent adaptation that could've been much greater if not rushed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5