• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Not like spoiler[he had a chance to grieve. He wanted to give them proper burials, but cat lady said they'd do it later.]

Why make the scene in comedic manner though? He protested as if he was a delinquent being dragged back to school not like his spoiler[childhood friends just died in front of him]. All the potential emotional impact just got sucked away for silly gag.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw just enough of the reactions at Crunchyroll and mentions of "I'm glad it's not censored" before I watched it to know basically what was coming. With that sort of knowledge it's not too hard to see where it was going. Between some cliches and foreshadowing it was pretty easy to figure out things like

spoiler[Chesty LaRue was going to show back up quickly as a main character.]
-Mostly because-spoiler[ she's a well designed Hootie McBoob- she had to return. If they just wanted to make a point about corrupt con men, it would have been a generic skeevy guy.]
That spoiler[the family was going to betray his trust...]
-The first encounterspoiler[ with the people he saved from the dragon made it clear that the capital wasn't just bad, but truly monstrous... and that's simply the sort of foreshadowing that has to be shown immediately when it's uttered like that.]
That spoiler[his companions were doomed and it was their plan to do the same thing to him that they did to them.]
-They said it pretty clearly spoiler[when she brought him home- something like "I'm sure you'll be seeing your friends very soon." Actually, I deduced that they were doomed the very moment that he had been separated. Their flag was planted and there was no dodging it.]
And that spoiler[the group would come to kill the family that night.]
-Because spoiler[the guards explained it, duh- they're coming to kill everyone.
So the only truly unknown thing was the existence of the torture chamber in the storeroom.]

And while the dark bits and the wacky fun bits do seem incongruous with each other, I never would have bothered sitting through 5 minutes if it was all dark and bloody and "cool" and serious from the getgo. I'm completely tired of DAAAAARK!! shows... I don't watch humorless stuff these days. There's no humanity in it.
I still think this level of disparity could prove to be a problem though. We'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Ep1 -

Another keeper for me. Absolutely loved it. I always loved the Hopelessly Corrupt City vs. Vigilante Justice angle and most of the characters work for me.

My only real beef is that I'm unsure if I like or hate the MC yet. He kind of has an... ambiguous personality right now.

Kudos to him for spoiler[chopping down little miss sadistic] though. I played that scene over and over again when the episode was done.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm on board. The string-of-coincidences thing doesn't bother me and what I like is Tatsumi as the main character is a likable character.

I am sort of reminded of Natsu at the beginning of Fairy Tail. A good mix of strong yet inexperienced with the ability to grow and learn, all backed with the conviction to do the right thing. And a bit goofy for all of that yet still capable of turning anger into righteous violence when needed.

Like a lot of other people here, I saw the obvious turn coming but had no idea it would be that sharp. It seems that Tatsumi wasn't the only one who needed an education.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

And while the dark bits and the wacky fun bits do seem incongruous with each other, I never would have bothered sitting through 5 minutes if it was all dark and bloody and "cool" and serious from the getgo. I'm completely tired of DAAAAARK!! shows... I don't watch humorless stuff these days. There's no humanity in it.
I still think this level of disparity could prove to be a problem though. We'll see.

That's understandable. I don't think that shows like this should be completely humorless. Heck even Attack on Titan had a few comedy moments even if they were far and between. But there should be a logical use of the comedy moments mixed with the serious stuff. If there is a series that got it right in my opinion it would be FMA: Brotherhood. There was always a good dose of comedy but the show had the sense to turn the funny switch off when things were getting serious. Deep emotionally impactful moments were usually left alone so the audience can soak in the moment. Which is how it should be imo.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Well this was a surprise.
I wasn't planning on watching this and one time had plans to read the manga but after watching the 1st episode, i'll watched the anime till finish before reading the manga.

It will be interesting to see how a young, naive warrior lives in a world where the corrupt and depraved rules and where the "good guys" are merciless assassins.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Wow, this episode went fast. spoiler[Tatsumi's decision to join Night Raid wasn't too surprising. The way he killed that Ogre guy was somewhat though.]

I think the kid still has a lot to spoiler[learn but the episode showed that he is serious about his goal of saving his village.] I'm still trying to get used to the comedy of this show. Might still take a little time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Getting to know the characters..
There sure are all kinds in that group.
Of course each of them has their own reasons.
The point was to open Tatsumi's eyes about the reality of things.
Akame is such a serious girl..
Considering her past it's not surprising.
Damn, Tatsumi didn't hesitate one bit to complete his task.
Must say I'm pretty impressed.
Akame is a strict one, but it seems she just wanted what's best.
So they're gonna switch his mentors, interesting way of doing things.
It's actually not a bad idea in the long run.]
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Good episode! At the moment spoiler[Tatsumi is acting exactly like one of those cocky] characters that dies the first second they step into combat. Not that I mind, as long as spoiler[he has the skills to back it up... Which of course he has so far.]

Which leads me on to the way spoiler[Tatsumi eventually dispatched the Ogre.] Kill of the week anyone? I would of had to give him the "Don't worry... He's (H)'armless" one liner afterwards.

I can deal with the small amounts of comedy thrown in. I think it's just the writers way of easing the tension before it gets too much... Something bad followed by something funny to balance it out.

I've also developed a soft spot for spoiler[Mine], she reminds me of Nonon Jakuzure and she has aspoiler[ big rifle]... That always helps!

Also, I've got a strange feeling that this show is going to have a spoiler[Game of Thrones mortality rate]. Guess I'll find out if I'm right later on.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I think my only complaint thus far would be Mine's voice... I keep expecting Marvelous to show up and call her "Tori" and smack her around.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I think it is interesting how Tatsumi's initiation is working out. With the level of ability he has shown so far I suppose we can expect future level bosses to be quite horrific.

So far I am finding it OK how they have balanced the serious with the silly. At very least I am interested in seeing more.
lightspeed1212

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
i watched this as soon as it aired and i recall seeing the first 15 min about 6+ months ago but i cant remember where it was the weirdest case a deja vu i've ever had.

abut the episode i liked it , it was dark, the gore was ell done and not off putting. The troll faces of the main chars were funny and not annoying, they reminded me of log horizon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

First rule of an assassin, don't spoiler[underestimate your target], and spoiler[make sure they are dead before you turn your back], but I guess in the end spoiler[he was the one still underestimated]. Would have preferred more reasoning as he still seems rather cocky, arrogance leads the army to your base, you stabbed, and having start your skills and equipment from the beginning. Isn't that right Altier?

I kind of like the other characters, Akame seemed rather sweet spoiler[when she accepted him], and I find Leone is rather entertaining. Also, I know the villain this episode was stereotypical evil, but I thought he looked rather cool.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting spoiler[Akame or Leone would have to come bail Tatsumi out after his mission turned out to be too much for him to handle], and was pleasantly surprised when spoiler[he managed to kill his target on his own.] Still, he does seem to think a bit too highly of his own abilities, so I imagine this will cause some kind of problem sooner or later.

I hope to see Bulat in action soon, since just watching him training was already pretty awesome. Don't particularly like Mine at the moment, but it seems like we'll be seeing more of her next episode, so we'll see how I feel once she gets some more development.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Jacquipuff wrote:

Don't particularly like Mine at the moment, but it seems like we'll be seeing more of her next episode, so we'll see how I feel once she gets some more development.

Is that a small breast crack??? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 35