• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I think the plot is that humans discovered alien technology that enabled them to colonize Mars, and the group of humans who moved to Mars around 40 years ago think they're better than the people back on Earth and now they want Earth for themselves...maybe?

This is correct.

As for New Orleans, my only thought on that is "Well, at least they remembered that New York isn't the only city in the US."

Last edited by Vaisaga on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
non human and hostile aliens could be portrayed as unsympathetic, or not. Neither way is necessarily superior; it's all about the kind of story that's being told. I decide whether something is sympathetic or not based on what they do.

And I don't have any problem with Aldnoah being about human on human conflict. I was just saying that as a general statement I'd like to also see other stories about human and nonhuman conflict (or even nonhuman and nonhuman conflict).

I agree it's about the story being told, and this clearly isn't that. Now I'm just trying to imagine examples where the aliens are hostile towards Earth or humanity, have a completely different biology, and yet are still characterized and well-written far before any kind of "humanizing event" could take place in the story. And no use of psychic communication. That stuff leads to instant understanding and that makes it too easy. I guess various episodes of Star Trek where they're not dealing with other humanoids?
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
No, but I would feel equally or equivalently sympathetic towards anything that was intelligent, or had some equivalent of complexity or intelligence, whether it was human-like or not, be it an Ai, android, artificial organism, alien, etc. And I don't think anthropomorphising is necessary. You can understand something that's different than you.

Depends on how different. The more different, the harder to understand. AIs, androids, aliens etc. are almost uniformly portrayed as very human-like. They've already been anthropomorphised in order to be understandable. AIs are generally sociopaths unless they have moral programming, which as is often pointed out in the stories, makes them no different from humans. Aliens usually only have some strange customs, no more different than Eskimos are from Europeans. Whenever Kirk or Picard finds something stranger than a dude with make-up, it's not about intercultural squabbling and power struggles anymore.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Had to delete several posts amidst one single report.

I don't care if you guys argue about "destruction in anime," but the basic essence of the number one rule for these forums still applies: be polite.

If you don't agree on something, then argue away. Just don't resort to blanket statements, labeling, and name-calling. It only makes you look bad, petty, shallow, and/or stupid.

It's all just personal opinion. So present your arguments with some form of reasoning, and don't act like schoolchildren on a playground.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, due to all the talk this has been getting, I decided to watch it instead of wait for a while, like I'd been planning.

As far as I can tell, in the 1970s, we found some Cool Stuff on the backside of the Moon, and it allowed us to develop tech that led to us colonizing the Moon. Everything was cool until Vers -- a much more advanced human society -- showed up and demanded we return the tech we'd been using to them, as they said it belonged to them.

Now, these Vers guys were apparently humans that had somehow found Cool Stuff *and* Aldnoah a long, long time ago. It's clear that they used it to build ships and leave Earth, but where did they go? They stopped off at Mars, it seems, and the Moon, obviously, leaving a Gate there, but then where?

Well, wherever it was, they came back, and they weren't too thrilled that the Terrans had been messing with "their" stuff. They also look down on Terrans and hold the viewpoint that their tech makes them gods, and thus Terrans are... not gods. This is shown by the exchange between the Count and the Princess's tutor.

So, they demanded their stuff back from the Terrans, and when the Terrans dragged their feet at complying (wow, there's a surpise), a conflict broke out on the Moon, culminating in the destruction of the Hypergate that the Empire used to get around quickly... and a big chunk of the Moon which rained down rocks on Earth, conveniently sowing chaos and destruction on the various Terran nations. This stranded (sort of) the Vers ships as well. But according to the Drunk Battle-scarred Lieutenant, the Vers were just biding their time, and probably involved with infighting as well.

But things have changed now. Earth is (or was) starting to recover from Heaven's Fall. The Vers don't seem to spend much time on planets based on the Princess's ignorance and wistful comments about Earth's availability of resources (air and water). So maybe the Vers were uneasy that Earth seemed to be recovering relatively quickly from the Gate "accident" (I doubt it). But I doubt that the timing of the Princess's goodwill visit was coincidence.

Speaking of which, I also seriously doubt spoiler[that that was the Princess at the end. The tinted windows, the way they followed a predetermined route, and just the way it all went down: probably an inside job. Just leak the route and let the Terrans do the rest.] However, I would be shocked if it turns out that the Count had any part of that. Out of all the Vers leaders shown after that event, he was the only one that actually seemed pissed about it; he may hate Terrans, but I thought he actually wanted to spoiler[protect the Princess]. The rest just seemed either bored or smug, and the guy the Count was talking to... I expect *he* had something to do with it. I think she, or someone in the Royal Family, set it up to draw out certain political factions for their own reasons. spoiler[I also think that the Princess wasn't in that car or anywhere around where the attack took place.] Time will tell on that.

And the Japanese kid... kind of creepy. I suspect we'll find out before long why it seems his emotions are all but turned off, because no normal person reacts that way.

A pretty good series. I'm inclined to keep watching it, though I haven't forgotten that I dropped Gargantia after originally thinking it would be pretty good.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
the earth looks like it's in pretty good shape considering spoiler[half the moon is gone]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
getchman,

I agree. The Moon is 1/6th the size of the Earth. Think of what happened to the Earth in Cowboy Bebop after the Gate disaster there. (Nothing good ever comes from the Earth. Razz)

I'd have to guess that somehow the worst that could've happened was avoided, though the effect on tidal forces would probably have been pretty steep.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I think the plot is that humans discovered alien technology that enabled them to colonize Mars, and the group of humans who moved to Mars around 40 years ago think they're better than the people back on Earth and now they want Earth for themselves...maybe?

This is correct.

As for New Orleans, my only thought on that is "Well, at least they remembered that New York isn't the only city in the US."

http://i.imgur.com/8vl8jUp.jpg

Well, NYC was kind destroyed along with the entire East and West Coast of the US from Heavens Fall spoiler[ (SPOILER ALERT: MOON EXPLODED 15 years ago, its debris hit the Earth)]
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

This is correct.

Is it? I'm starting to question my own assessment as most of the people in this thread seem to think the Vers are the return of a group of humans who developed extremely advanced technology millennia ago, so they are, in fact, semi alien. While I think that makes more sense than some colonists developing an anti-Earth monarchy after only a few decades, I don't think the episode made it completely clear. There was a lot of exposition, and some of it got muddled.

Quote:

True, that! Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
That's *not* correct (what Viasaga wrote), based on the anime, anyway. Something Bad happened to the Terrans that went to Mars, and I'm guessing that Slaine is the child of one of those colonists.

The Vers showed up after Terrans colonized Mars, and *those* are the guys who the hypergate belonged to, or at least claimed to own.

So, you have the Terrans. You have the Vers. And you have the Terran colonists who went to Mars. It's not clear what happened to the Colonists, but Slaine mentions that the princess saved him and his father. In the opening lines of the episode, the princess mentions that Slaine was born on Earth. Then later the Princess tells her lady-in-waiting that "if you go back far enough" they, too, originated on Earth. And the reason the Count despises Slaine (and those looks he was giving were aimed at Slaine, not the Princess) is because he's a Terran, and even the lady-in-waiting looked down on Slaine for that reason.

I should add that I could be wrong in how I'm interpreting events. If so, then big chunks of the first episode make no sense to me.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
^ This is generally what I was talking about when I said that the series did a poor job of trying to explain why the aliens look exactly like humans. It is a confusing jumble of information that seems like it was created as an afterthought rather than something that initially inspired the overarching story. Perhaps that could change for the better in future episodes, but in episode 1 it was handled very sloppily.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
Probably the aliens are actually tentacle beasts that use humans as skin for whatever reason.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
getchman,

I agree. The Moon is 1/6th the size of the Earth. Think of what happened to the Earth in Cowboy Bebop after the Gate disaster there. (Nothing good ever comes from the Earth. Razz)

I'd have to guess that somehow the worst that could've happened was avoided, though the effect on tidal forces would probably have been pretty steep.

Actually, the Moon is 1/4 the size of Earth, it's its surface gravity that is 1/6 of Earth's.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Probably the aliens are actually tentacle beasts that use humans as skin for whatever reason.

This is entirely within the realm of possibility in anime.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/8vl8jUp.jpg

Well, NYC was kind destroyed along with the entire East and West Coast of the US from Heavens Fall spoiler[ (SPOILER ALERT: MOON EXPLODED 15 years ago, its debris hit the Earth)]

Ooh, I never noticed that that's what the world map is like in this series, interesting...looks like my home's gone, then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 90