• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sabagebu - Survival Game Club! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

Is this really a shoujo? This was hilarious, and it only got funnier through the episode, it was like mixing C3-bu and D-Frag into an awesome hybrid by just going crazy.

That's what I thought, I don't know what show was being discussed in the first part of the thread.

Fun, funny stuff set in a world of bright eye candy and yet violent and real at tunrs {imagination!}. I couldn't stop laughing after the scene with the melon bread from the small touches {the coloring of the filling? Thumbs up ... for herself} to the great performance. Good narrator, not Negima?!/Hayate levels of smarm but the audience knows how he feels about exposition: If it's not really accurate, it's our job to look it up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

The main character is hilarious, in any other series she would be a villain. I loved it and totally saw it coming that shespoiler[ would shoot the captain who gave up and the tie thing], a main character who gives no mercy. She also turned thespoiler[ jealous fangirl into a masochist follower], and made the spoiler[other traumatized over natto]. There was even some spoiler[Matrix thrown] into their fight. Her mother spoiler[liking the girls characteristics]. It is so far more fun than I expected as I feel like I am going to be let down if I think too well of it.

I think that I will add a bit of YuruYuri for what this show reminds me of, you can see a bit of Chinatsu here. Apparently this shares the same director and person for series composition..... Actually Urara does not just look like Chinatsu, she was also voiced by the same person. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'm loving the fact that MC is an avatar of pure evil. What a pleasant surprise this show has turned out to be. Good for several chuckles/laughs per eppie, it seems.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Lol, I keep forgetting that they don't actually die in this series. Hope to see more battles soon but this has turned out to be entertaining so far in its own way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Her mother spoiler[liking the girls characteristics].

Plus, her mother had no problem with her daughter straight out spoiler[punching her new friend who came to walk her to school]. She's pretty carefree? Or dark, could be dark...

I know you can't draw blood with sushi but this show does make me wonder.

What I didn't wonder about the underground complex or spoiler[Matrix flips], I questioned where the fire pole came from and why the others didn't need one. Then I got over it.

I too am loving how "honest" this lead is with her true feelings, even if I'm not fully sure if that makes her psychotic {No, there should be a "how much" in there}; The premiere showed how pent up she was by being forced to be someone she's not because of how many transfers she had but she's learned to acclimate, anticipate and, apparently, avenge.

If this wasn't a comedy, she'd be the villain {Reminds me more of Ben Linus from Lost than Chinatsu from Yuru Yuri; I was waiting for the usual "I lied" line after she...}. Wait, the first episode painted her as a victim {or she thought of herself as one?}. Wow, that's a fast turnaround time.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
So I was showing this show to a buddy... and realized that the cos-play chick was dressed up as Jill Valentine towards the end of the first episode.

Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I will be following this one week-to-week (the slots for shows I can keep up with is filling up fast, and I already have one great comedy in the mix), but I am rather liking how twisted the MC is turning out to be. Definitely seems to me, too, like a case of her unwittingly finding the perfect avenue for venting long-pent-up rage, which she apparently has yet to fully appreciate.

And yes, the mother is proving to be a hoot herself. Definitely something a little off there, too; perhaps all that moving around affected more than just the daughter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GreyFoxes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
It wan't until I saw character wearing eye protection in the preview for the next episode that I really noticed that the girls are constantly shooting each other with those guns and they are often getting shots very close to their faces, all while not wearing any protection.

I guess we are going to get another one of those eye patch characters anime is so fond of before long with the way they are going Laughing

Despite the impending risk of one of them shooting their eyes out, my interest and enjoyment of this series has not waned.

The more I watch the more I want to go buy an airsoft gun of my own. Maybe a CZ-75 like Rally had in Gunsmith Cats...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
GreyFoxes wrote:
It wan't until I saw character wearing eye protection in the preview for the next episode that I really noticed that the girls are constantly shooting each other with those guns and they are often getting shots very close to their faces, all while not wearing any protection.

And the show has mentioned a lot of what is happening is based on their imaginations. C3bu was very vigilant for characters to wear eyewear when necessary, and I am pretty sure characters were seen wearing it in the first episode. By the looks of it they usually want to flirt with the idea that they are actual gun battles, and them getting their eyewear on could disrupt the flow of a sudden fight that has broken out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Laughing
If there is one thing you can expect in this show, characters will totally break the rules of what good guys are supposed to do, there is a huge amount of play on the genre.

Highlights? A joke of spoiler[Chuck Norris], playing on the teacher spoiler[being the dumbest one], she looked like spoiler[Ritsu]. that the show knew all too well about spoiler[wasps] and decided to run with it and make fun of the situation, the whole honey thing ended up very funny. Momoka being incredibly spoiler[petty as expected, of course they faked it out]. But we saw her spoiler[shooting elementary student multiple times], making sure to spoiler[hit the head when one shot would have been enough]. The extremely cheap cat spoiler[puppet trick, with mention to how terrible it is]. Miou spoiler[cheating the man out of all his prizes], not even spoiler[giving the kid the bear], something that kind of justifies the hatred. And the timing with the spoiler[actual bear] was awesome, and finishing it off with a super spoiler[cheesy scene of everyone in a hot spring including the bear and crow].

This is really something that hits so many right notes compared to the Director's other work on comedy, the only thing I can think might compare was Mitsudomoe, although the change to a cleaner focus might be an improvement. I have a strong feeling that other people are underestimating it because the outside appearance of being a "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things", when in fact it totally is not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
DP, agree with what you say. This is one of the funniest anime shows I've seen in a while. My one quibble with the last episode was that spoiler[the club house gets burned down and then the next time we see it, it's back to normal with no explanation.] Given the humour of the show, I fully expected the Narrator to make some crack about how you'd think that was totally unrealistic, but in fact makes perfect sense or something.
batou37

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm in agreement with you on that one Blood-, it was probably one of the only things that has stood out to me so far in this show as a flaw. Could have been another nice bit of comedic commentary by the narrator. I've gotten into the habit of trying to place the cosplaying one's different outfits. Was that COD: Ghosts in ep 3?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I used to live near a spoiler[bee hive] before. Well, it was more closer to my neighbors. Yikes, the latest episode bought back some grim memories Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I used to live near a spoiler[bee hive] before. Well, it was more closer to my neighbors. Yikes, the latest episode bought back some grim memories Confused

The Japanese hornet is particularly fearsome: they're almost 2 inches long (~5 cm) and eat other bees for breakfast while ignoring their stings with a thick carapace. Also, as mentioned by the show, they're the deadliest land animal in Japan as measured by attacks on humans.

Seriously, don't try what they did at home.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
DP almost said it all but I thought Yui Horie as the teacher gleefully counting ants was the highlight of the episode.

She looked just so happy though I have no idea how she picked them up...

Wait, wait, she's an adult Ayu, isn't she? I do recognize that she looks like a certain character from another KyoAni show but, well, just watch it while thinking "Uguu".

One other missed moment: Platypus guy gets spoiler[carried off by the one eyed crow.] The way the dramatic soundtrack played it out {and off} was perfect.

Not as manic as the previous episodes but Momoka reached a new low by getting pleasure out of spoiler[ shooting grade school kids multiple times in the head.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5