• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki Is Spending All His Free Time At His Favorite Place... Studio Ghibli

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Just because he's retired doesn't mean he can't still go to where he used to work, right? Smile
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I swear this man wants his ashes sprinkled around the studio.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
Just because he's retired doesn't mean he can't still go to where he used to work, right? Smile

Most retirees DO. Rolling Eyes
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, let's just admit it, ain't nobody is no "retired". I give it a year and a half before he announces his next film. :P
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
MischievousMelody wrote:

Most retirees DO. Rolling Eyes

And some don't. Your point being ? Rolling Eyes
Maybe Miyazaki simply enjoys being at the studio with no responsabilites whatsoever.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
And some don't. Your point being ? Rolling Eyes
Maybe Miyazaki simply enjoys being at the studio with no responsabilites whatsoever.

That would be nice and dandy if he enjoyed talking to his old coworkers and giving invaluable advice when asked, but the simple truth is that he has "... been giving orders to the younger staff members". He no longer holds any position in the organization chart but he goes around bossing people because they do not make thing the way he likes.
It is not that he is a rare case, I have an uncle that retired more than ten years ago, but still is every day at the factory he created giving orders and telling to anyone he can how nowadays they do not know how to do business.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
$10 says he's making ramen for everyone there all the time.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Thing is I suspect Miyazaki might experience a decline in his health / energy if he didn't have Studio Ghibli to tinker with.

I'm sure those new animators listen to the old director when he's talking to them, nod their heads and then hustle back to work - on what their boss has told them to do. Maybe what he says is helpful, maybe it isn't.

It hurts little of nothing to have him around and you never know...

Mark Gosdin
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Thing is I suspect Miyazaki might experience a decline in his health / energy if he didn't have Studio Ghibli to tinker with.

I do agree that if he stops being active the health of the old man will quickly decline.

Quote:
It hurts little of nothing to have him around and you never know...

By that logic, why not have someone that has already retired from YOUR line of work be in your workplace at least four hours a day, every workday? I mean, "It hurts little of nothing to have him around and you never know...".
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Just a thought: I don't believe it's exactly accurate to compare Miyazaki going to Studio Ghibli constantly even in retirement to any average retiree visiting their old work. Keep in mind that Miyazaki is one of the co-founders of Studio Ghibli and dedicated *years* of his life to the studio and its creations. I'd think that gives him quite a vested interest in the studio. It's not the same thing as an average employee just randomly deciding to continue coming into work even after retirement.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
Just a thought: I don't believe it's exactly accurate to compare Miyazaki going to Studio Ghibli constantly even in retirement to any average retiree visiting their old work. Keep in mind that Miyazaki is one of the co-founders of Studio Ghibli and dedicated *years* of his life to the studio and its creations. I'd think that gives him quite a vested interest in the studio. It's not the same thing as an average employee just randomly deciding to continue coming into work even after retirement.

My uncle was not a mere employee, he created a factory that nowadays makes windmills before 1970; Studio Ghilbi was created in 1985, so your point is?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I doubt he's really retired. He's going to watch everyone like a damn hawk. After all why all the fuss over a poster. Well, again one can retire, but being retired is boring if you don't have a plan. I guess in Miyazaki's case his life has been the studio just like Tezuka's life was.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:

Again, he's only retired from being the lead, in-charge, deals with lots of stress, has final say director of projects. There's no doubt he'll still oversee scripts and storyboards for many projects as well as generally directing the entire studio.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Oh, let's just admit it, ain't nobody is no "retired". I give it a year and a half before he announces his next film. Razz
lots of people start retirement from stepping down from their full time job to working less hours, an easier position, or both. take my dad for example. he retired from his job as the head of quality control at the factory he works at but still works there 4 hours a day 4 days a week alternating between helping quality control and doing other light tasks as needed. the current head of quality control still treats him as the person who knows what's best when he's working in that capacity tho.

similarly Miyazaki is retired from his past position but still doing lighter work there and basically helping everybody out. considering he has a lot of emotional investment in the studio as one of the three co-founders that's not surprising.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I think that compared to Tezuka himself, the talented Miyazaki seems like an amateur.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2