• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mazinger Z Sub.DVD Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
SantaBla, You're right. Mazinger was the first Piloted Super Robot. I hope Discotek puts Ufo Robo Grendizer on Dvd next, as that is my favorite.

Oh come now - Great Mazinger first!

Key wrote:
You do realize that Shinji Ikari was at least partly meant to be a specific counterpoint to characters like Koji, right?

Dunno about that, but Asuka was pretty much just female Tetsuya.

The manga Tetsuya that is. The anime Tetsuya's insecurities weren't really dwelled on too much until Koji came back.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
SantaBla, You're right. Mazinger was the first Piloted Super Robot. I hope Discotek puts Ufo Robo Grendizer on Dvd next, as that is my favorite.

It actually isn't. There was a piloted robot mook in some Ishinomori manga (Sabu) before.

It's more like, first piloted robot that truly mattered.

Key wrote:

I will admit, though, that I am only going off of the descriptions of Koji from this thread and the review, as I have never seen the original Z series.

You've been doing that for the entire thread. I know you're moderator and all, but stop believing what the reviewer or anyone in this thread say here and check it out for yourself.

There's about 10 or more different incarnations of Kouji across all of the series. In one, he even has two sisters.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Quote:
cause there are some of us that watched it way back then and still like it to this day.

I don't think you understood what I said. If you already like the show, don't bother with the review, just trot out and buy it when it becomes available. Support the distributor who brought it back.

When you know you already like a show, the only point in reading a review is to have the reviewer give you the warm fuzzies by affirming your opinion. That is not what a review is for and is obviously not what happened here.

The purpose of a review is to help those of us who have not seen the show determine if we will like it. For me, probably not.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
SantaBla, I meant that Mazinger Z is the first Super Robot in Anime not Manga.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
jr0904, Mazinger Z was released in the US as Tranzor Z dubbed, changed character names, edits etc.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
You've been doing that for the entire thread. I know you're moderator and all, but stop believing what the reviewer or anyone in this thread say here and check it out for yourself.

There's about 10 or more different incarnations of Kouji across all of the series. In one, he even has two sisters.

Except for fan service-focused titles, Carl's and my tastes in, and evaluations on, titles typically align pretty closely. On top of that I've never been a fan of super robot series except in parodied form. So no, I don't see myself devoting hours to sitting down watching one of the defining super robot titles except possibly at some point as an historical curiosity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SantaBla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Except for fan service-focused titles, Carl's and my tastes in, and evaluations on, titles typically align pretty closely. On top of that I've never been a fan of super robot series except in parodied form. So no, I don't see myself devoting hours to sitting down watching one of the defining super robot titles except possibly at some point as an historical curiosity.

Good for you. You're passing a lot of comments about Kouji, with no intent on verifying what you're saying. There's not much point in discussing this any further.

Second, there's no such thing as a super robot series. There were 70s robot series that had the same style of writing. That's because they were all targeted at kids. The term "super robot" was used to describe the robots in the shows, not the actual shows, like in Mazinger's opening lyrics, or as a catch phrase in commercials involving the show's robot toys.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
SantaBla, Really? I disagree. Super Robots are just like Superheroes.They are covered in garish or primary colors, some have capes even. The Robot, the Pilot and the team of scientists are Defenders of earth.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
SantaBla, Really? I disagree. Super Robots are just like Superheroes.They are covered in garish or primary colors, some have capes even. The Robot, the Pilot and the team of scientists are Defenders of earth.

Super robots, not super robot series.

I was making a distinction.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
SantaBla, I refer to series like Grendizer, Mazinger, And Gaiking etc as Super Robot Anime.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
SantaBla, I refer to series like Grendizer, Mazinger, And Gaiking etc as Super Robot Anime.

I don't, because as I've explained earlier, there really is no such thing.

These are typical 70s robot anime.
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
What about the early 80's super robots then? You know, when we also had shows like Gundam, Dougram, and such?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
SantaBla, you're just arguing petty semantics. Not applying the label "Super Robot series" to a series which prominently features Super Robots (a label which is widely-applied to Mazinger) would be like trying to claim that Sailor Moon isn't really a magical girl series even though it stars magical girls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
snake-eyes wrote:

I don't, because as I've explained earlier, there really is no such thing.

These are typical 70s robot anime.

Nope wrong. There is a chasm between Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3 and Gundam. And only 2/3 years at the most elapsed between the first 2 and Gundam. While the tv series of Gundam has obviously the 70s era esthetic and retains some elements of super robots shows it is globally speaking very different from Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Grendizer, Raideen etc... And the compilation films are even more different. To put all 70s era robot shows in the same basket simply shows your ignorance about this topic.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
Tetsuryu wrote:
What about the early 80's super robots then? You know, when we also had shows like Gundam, Dougram, and such?

What about them? They're 80s robot anime as well. Just because it was the 80s didn't mean they stopped targeting kids.

Key wrote:
SantaBla, you're just arguing petty semantics. Not applying the label "Super Robot series" to a series which prominently features Super Robots (a label which is widely-applied to Mazinger) would be like trying to claim that Sailor Moon isn't really a magical girl series even though it stars magical girls.

What I'm saying here is that these 70s series are the way they are because of their target audience. It's not a genre. It's a term used to describe the robots. Can you even define super robot to me?

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Nope wrong. There is a chasm between Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3 and Gundam. And only 2/3 years at the most elapsed between the first 2 and Gundam. While the tv series of Gundam has obviously the 70s era esthetic and retains some elements of super robots shows it is globally speaking very different from Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, Grendizer, Raideen etc... And the compilation films are even more different. To put all 70s era robot shows in the same basket simply shows your ignorance about this topic.

Excuse me?

I watched all 3 shows you mentioned. When did I ever put the in the same basket?

When I said 70s style, I referred to the episodic format of the era in general. 70s anime were still for the most part targeted at kids and we didn't have the internet back then. You talk about Zambot 3, Daitarn 3, Gundam and Reideen, but those are Tomino's works. He wanted to have a different take than Mazinger. Of course he did. A lot of directors did, just like with the Nagahama trilogy, which was still different from the Mazinger trilogy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11