• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terror in Resonance (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
Nabeshin is directing, Yoko Kanno has the score, so I had high hopes for this. Very high hopes.

Thus far, I am not disappointed. Hooked from the very first minute. I tend to skip OP and ED sequences since so many are generic fluff these days, but in the case of this show they were perfect bookends to a delightfully tense first episode. I've no reason to expect that the motivation for the bombing won't be fleshed out in full over the course of the series, this was simply episode one. If it's left you questioning just what the hell happened and why, I'd say it's done its job admirably.

meiam wrote:
I really really really hope they touch as little as possible the bullying aspect.

Echoing the sentiments of others, why are you so eager for something like this to be swept under the carpet? I understand it's a sensitive topic to many (I was bullied at school for years; you deal with it and move on) but you can't just bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen, especially in a place like a Japanese high school. If I've misunderstood your intentions here, then I apologize.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Well, I'm giving this first episode a 10/10, hands down. It was a complete joy to look at. Not a single frame was wasted, every little thing was used to characterize the world, setting, or, well, characters. No more dialogue than absolutely necessary, no exposition monologues, but introducing us to the world by showing, not telling. That's how it should be done in a visual medium. But then again, this is Watanabe, who knows what he's doing.

You just nailed it. Seriously, this was the best first episode I've seen in a while! Just like you pointed out, the way we were introduced to everything was perfect. I feel like ALDNOAH.ZERO should take a lot of notes from this show.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
raich8 wrote:
^ A) Why do you hope for as little focus as possible on the bullying?

B) From the look of the opening with the snowmobile, I would guess they've got enhanced senses/reflexes of some sort.

Anyway, I really enjoyed that episode. Really great direction.

Bullying is just so badly handle in anime, the bad guys are so cartoonish I can't bring myself to hate them, there literally only created to be evil kid (until the redemption episode where there personality do a 180) and the bullied kid never do anything to help themselves out of the situation, it also always start at the point were the bullied kid is already being bullied so we don't know the full story. It's just painfully ham fisted, most of the time it fall completely flat and just waste time with the few time where I actually fell something I mostly end up rooting for the bully since it feel like they can't do anything else while the MC often has the possibility of getting out of the situation (super power, great friend ext) and yet doesn't do anything.

As far as power, from the event in the snow bases to the fact they have access to large amount of high tech equipment, one them need to have some sort of mind control, mind reading ability, otherwise it won't really make sense.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

As far as power, from the event in the snow bases to the fact they have access to large amount of high tech equipment, one them need to have some sort of mind control, mind reading ability, otherwise it won't really make sense.

We've already seen that one of our guys has an eidetic memory (or something close to it), it's not that far of a stretch to assume his partner is equally as gifted in another area. It doesn't seem the type of show to go down the fantastical route so that rules out mind control for me. I reckon it'll stay within the boundaries of what's humanly possible (if slightly improbable).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
Well, our emo terrorists better have the power to erase memories if they hope to get away with this. They transfer into a specific school just before students from it go on a trip to the target and Frog Smile goes out of his way to make sure he is noticed. I reckon the authorities will have some pretty good descriptions, unless people get memory wiped. However, based on the first eppie, it seems like realism is going to be very much in the back seat and these dudes will have whatever resources they need to pull this stuff off.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bullying is just so badly handle in anime, the bad guys are so cartoonish I can't bring myself to hate them, there literally only created to be evil kid (until the redemption episode where there personality do a 180) and the bullied kid never do anything to help themselves out of the situation, it also always start at the point were the bullied kid is already being bullied so we don't know the full story. It's just painfully ham fisted, most of the time it fall completely flat and just waste time with the few time where I actually fell something I mostly end up rooting for the bully since it feel like they can't do anything else while the MC often has the possibility of getting out of the situation (super power, great friend ext) and yet doesn't do anything.

Name one anime that dealt with bullying in such way?
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, our emo terrorists better have the power to erase memories if they hope to get away with this. They transfer into a specific school just before students from it go on a trip to the target and Frog Smile goes out of his way to make sure he is noticed. I reckon the authorities will have some pretty good descriptions, unless people get memory wiped. However, based on the first eppie, it seems like realism is going to be very much in the back seat and these dudes will have whatever resources they need to pull this stuff off.

I think their meticulous planning was made very evident during the bombing. In fact, the only witness (we know of) was blackmailed into either dying there and then or becoming implicated as an accomplice. Apart from the youtube (nico nico douga, whatever) video alluding to their plan, I'd say the fact they were in an almost completely pre-evacuated building meant they'd have a clean escape. Who else saw them doing anything suspicious at all? They set up the power cut so the building would be empty.

Apart from Frog Smile tearing around on a superbike and appropriating the chica at the end, I doubt many people would realistically link them to a bombing simply because they're new students at one of (surely countless) schools having a field trip that day.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
I don't know about that. Two students transfer into a school just before the trip. I assume they won't be returning to that school - but even if they do, the timing is a little suspicious. So unless the authorities think they died in the bombing, they'd be suspicious, I would think.

And let's look at co-opting a virtual stranger into their conspiracy. How dependable would someone who is given the choice of death or collaboration be? What skill set does she bring to the table that they would be aware of?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
So glad to be able to watch Tokyo Goul plus this back to back on Thursdays. Both deal with interesting "transformation" themes of normal people as well as showing us the the nitty gritty of a different classes in society.

With Watanabe Shinichiro at the helm I'm expecting great things from this one. I don't know if I'll ever able to cheer for our MC's since they are in fact terrorists but getting insight into how they became that way is what I'm really looking for.

I'm starting to detect that there will be Death Note shenanigans here when they mentioned that teacher was a spoiler[old detective]. That's probably going to be an oversight on 9 and 11's part because he'll likely identify them based on their voices very quickly.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't know about that. Two students transfer into a school just before the trip. I assume they won't be returning to that school - but even if they do, the timing is a little suspicious. So unless the authorities think they died in the bombing, they'd be suspicious, I would think.

And let's look at co-opting a virtual stranger into their conspiracy. How dependable would someone who is given the choice of death or collaboration be? What skill set does she bring to the table that they would be aware of?

I agree that she is a massive loose end, but that was tied into the nightmare sequence Nine experienced. Some event in the past has compelled them to 'save' her (her life was literally in their hands at one point), I think it was mentioned that she had the same look in her eyes as some of the orphans they lived with. Maybe that's enough for them to gauge her trustworthiness.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how suspicious their actions leading up to the day were, I have my doubts that in the event of a bombing the authorities would start their search by looking at new transfer students. They'll be on a list of people present at the scene for sure, and it's logical that an investigation would focus on people who were actually there, but I reckon schoolkids on an organized trip come waaaay down the list of potential suspects.

It's anime though, who knows.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

It's not exactly skill set they are looking for. It's more mindset. They've already seen how she is treated and acts at school. So they can tell just by looking into her eyes that she curses the world. That's what they are looking for. Someone who has nothing to lose. This is part of the "transformation" theme i was talking about in my previous comment. I think the show is going to use her as a means of indulging us on the process of how someone can turn into a full fledged terrorist when they are picked up after being dealt a bad hand in life. Yeah it's impossible for them to know what skills she has now but i don't think they will have her doing big time stuff right off the bat.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Two boys have spoiler[been experimented on, perhaps all their life, they have escaped and now plan to get revenge somehow, they are both outside of normal one is very detached while the other seems to be more having fun, and they have powers of] an unknown extent. They have spoiler[taken some sort of super bomb, and to start up their plan they have bombed one building with precise explosives]. And Twelve tried to spoiler[help Nine by giving him a choice of just going through with the plan or "saving", one which was passed onto the girl, Lisa].

Yeah, this was a good episode, my above description is pretty horrible as there was a lot of work done well with the medium. I got a very Flowers of Evil feel from this, specifically the school component, but this was much easier to swallow. I am not sure, but at lest compared to the boys her skin colour seems to especially pale, and mixed with Lisa's name I wonder if there is some significance for why things might be hard for her.

Need to watch more, not usually such a big fan of these more artsy shows, but I thought it was well done here.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the first episode of Terror in Resonance was noticeably better than the first episode of Aldnoah.zero. Both involved a lot of intense destruction, but TiR's subtlety in storytelling and ability to hold more cards close to the chest gives a more intriguing and mysterious feel to the show. I didn't think either was perfect, but TiR wins the first episode for me.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Name one anime that dealt with bullying in such way?

That'd be pretty hard to do, cause as soon as they start it I drop the series and never look back, the only one I would have fully watched would be older series, that I just don't remember. Didn't noragami do that a few season ago, I remember I stopped watching it once we got to the, for lack of a better term, emo episode. The only series (I think it was manga, originally a LN) that dealt with bullying that I remember was something like "semen men" or "cumin men" (it made sense in the story), that one was fairly good because it was directly about it rather than just a side story, and it started well before the bullying.

On the student possible ability, at the start one of them was already in the facility and was wearing a suit, they also seemingly knew where to look for the bomb and that the employe in it would be scared to let them shoot at it (most bomb don't actually blow up if you shoot at it). That's not something that can be done even with super memory/intellect and reflex. They also somehow had a cop car and already were in possession of military hardware (in japan were even normal gun are illegal). Plus it seems like in the actual bombing they were using thermite, which is not something normal civilian can get there hands on easily, not even specking of the money to buy it. Then there's the fact that they registered in the school despite most likely not possessing an actual identity in the real world.

I just hope they don't sweep it under the rug and never explain any of that, otherwise I feel a sense of disconnect with the world, like it some weird alternate reality were people are just really stupid, and I just can't bring myself to care if they start dying.
raich8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree. I mean, it's only the first episode, way too early to judge, but I had some similar thoughts going through my head. Our intrepid heroes appear to have access to not-insignificant resources, including almost-impossible-to-get-in-Japan military hardware. Well, unless you're Homura Akemi. I'm assuming the show will go for a less fantastical route than that, though. Anyway, some sort of explanation would be nice.

Which reminds me, we don't even know who's doing the writing. Apparently the name given for screenwriter is a pseudonym. Hopefully it's not Watanabe himself, as I don't think his talents lie there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 25