• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Glasslip (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so Touko can spoiler[see the future], while Kakeru can spoiler[hear the future], and together spoiler[they can do both.] I kinda like that idea.

Totally wasn't expecting spoiler[a love confession] this early on. You could really feel the emotions in that scene. spoiler[Poor Yuki, though.]

Vaisaga wrote:
Hm, looks like there's some credibility to that spoiler[Sachi likes Touko] theory.

That's the feeling I got, too. It'll be interesting if that actually ends up being the case...

I liked this episode much more than the first one, so I think I can safely say that I'll be watching the rest of this series!
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
That spoiler[confession] felt a bit fast tbh. I didn't expect in in this episode. This show has been somewhat of a disappointment for me now but I'll anticipate to see what happens next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

The spoiler[bicycle falling over] made me LOL for some reason. Such a little thing but it was great.

I thought that was extremely funny as well. That kind of thing is completely my sense of humor: little weird visual things that kind of mess with the cadence of things.

I liked the fact that we got a confession this early: gives us a lot of room to move on to a lot of other things.

There were a couple of REALLY cool references in this episode:

the first was that in the gallery, the piece they focused on was M.C. Escher's Day and Night

(this:)

He's one of my favorite artists so I obviously thought it was cool that they referenced him, and also it's pretty thematically relevant, in that it shows one place interlaced with itself at two points in time (like the first time slip at the fireworks). It even has birds lol.

The second reference was much subtler. When the dad told the story at dinner about how him and the mom were at that gallery years ago, and she was copying the art there and passed out. She said "You climbed all those stairs for me." and he replied, "Nah, it was like going down stairs."

That was a reference to the work House of Stairs by the same artist:

Or Relativity (also by M.C. Escher)

And maybe the dad said it because they were at the gallery too, or was just referencing Escher because of Night and Day. I REALLY loved that reference, and the subtlety and complexity with which it was woven.

Those also fit thematically in that the figures depicted in them are sort of in the same space but moving in their own universes of reality (like different gravitational realities), the same of which could be said about the time slips, or even the social undertones among the group.

So yeah, as someone who generally doesn't like slice of life stuff, I'm really liking this one so far: it's got a lot of depth to it haha.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Oh yeah, the love drama is starting early. And it is quite clear who spoiler[Sachi likes], I had a feeling from the previous episode but I am quite confident now. Only one question, who is the one who spoiler[visits the hospital, that Hiro likes]? Is it the spoiler[quiet bookworm Sachi], or spoiler[Yanagi who has been shown away from the group for some reason and is living with Yukinari]?

And spoiler[train tracks in the prophecy] look quite ominous, she better make sure that they don't spoiler[play on any railroads].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I liked the fact that we got a confession this early: gives us a lot of room to move on to a lot of other things.

Ditto this. I'll never understand the predilection/preference for the long, drawn out PAINFUL period of stalking, stuttering, planning, scheming, fumbling, gagging that precedes a confession in an anime rom-com. I swear they can stretch it out out for 20 episodes and there will always be someone who posts "wow they really rushed that."

In this case spoiler[Yuki] obviously had a thing on for spoiler[Tōko] for months and maybe years already. Why wait? Oh, I know. That's the anime formula and were all the comedy supposedly comes from. I for one am more than ready for something different.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Sorry P.A., if you want to sell a show as a glass blowing show you have to show more than 6 seconds of it per episode, then throw in some random spoiler[crystal ball magic] out of nowhere and way too many love polygons for two episodes of content. I'm out.

That being said, I agree that the spoiler[confession] scene was actually very well executed, I felt sorry for spoiler[Yuki] and spoiler[Yana], and just for one second I considered sticking to the show, but Touko is way above my tolerance level for cutesy-poo heroines. It doesn't help that she has all of Manaka's obliviousness and naiveté and none of her endearing qualities, so she's just annoyingly stupid, and out of that naive stupidity fucks everything up.

And, outside of the spoiler[confession] scene, the rest of the episode was a snooze fest. Sorry Glasslip, summer is too busy a season to settle for boring mediocrity that may or may not one day actually include some glass blowing
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wasn't sure what I was getting into with this show, but I expected glass blowing kind of being important. Never in a million years did I think it was going to be about some uber-peachy girl with three different love interests - angry try-hard guy, psycho lesbian girl and mysterious intense dude - and that she can see and hear into the future using glass.

Perhaps I should have known:

Glasslip = glass + timeslip

Still really stupid though. What happened to just doing slice of life and doing it well? Why waste most of the screentime on boring crushes between boring characters whom we barely even know? Why introduce future-sight when it just takes all the focus away from the SoL glass-blowing?

Sigh. One more episode. I'll give it one more episode to convince me that where the show is going is somewhere good or at least worth my time.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
who is the one who spoiler[visits the hospital, that Hiro likes]? Is it the spoiler[quiet bookworm Sachi], or spoiler[Yanagi who has been shown away from the group for some reason and is living with Yukinari]?

Isn't it blatantly obvious spoiler[he likes Sachi? Just look at the way he looks at her.]

DuskyPredator wrote:
And spoiler[train tracks in the prophecy] look quite ominous, she better make sure that they don't spoiler[play on any railroads].

Yeah, I was wondering if that meant to mean spoiler[Toko was going to get left behind by her friends, or they were all going to get run over by a train.]

HaruhiToy wrote:
I'll never understand the predilection/preference for the long, drawn out PAINFUL period of stalking, stuttering, planning, scheming, fumbling, gagging that precedes a confession in an anime rom-com.

That's just how it works. It's not easy confessing to some one, especially when they're already a close friend. What if they don't reciprocate and it becomes wierd between the two of you? Now you've just ruined what you already had and can't even be friends with that person anymore. It's even worse with a close knit group of friends like we have here, since it could potentially tear apart the entire group. Do you risk destroying that for the slight chance things might work out? You gotta summon quite a bit of courage to make that leap. spoiler[Yuki probably only managed here because Touko was giving him the green light, albiet for the wrong girl.]

CrowLia wrote:
Sorry P.A., if you want to sell a show as a glass blowing show you have to show more than 6 seconds of it per episode

dtm42 wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't sure what I was getting into with this show, but I expected glass blowing kind of being important.

I wasn't aware glass blowing anime was in such high demand. I mean, sure, this is impressive, but I fail to see how a show about this would be any less boring then you claim the one we got is.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
I did enjoy this episode more then the first but my thoughts are the same as dtm's. I was expecting an easy to watch slice of life about friendship and learning how to glass blow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ice_tea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Will give this anime a couple of episodes... I am still on the fence about it. None of the characters interest me so far and I am too old for high-schooler drama/personality. I did watch Tari Tari because I was bored and it wasn't bad. Maybe this one won't be bad too?

Another reason why I want to give up on this anime is that I just find it hard to accept Shimazaki Nobunaga voicing that guy right after finishing the World is Still Beautiful (even his character design is a bit annoying). Shimazaki has been working too hard recently. I know the Tari Tari guy was also voiced by him but none of his other roles gave me much impression, unlike that shota. lol

That said, it's still nice to hear Osaka Ryota again. I haven't been watched much anime so I haven't heard his voice lately. It's a nice and suitable role for him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
@ Galap - very nice catches, dude. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. The references certainly blew by me.

I actually like this now more after the second episode than I did after the first. I agree, Haruhi Toy, that P.A. Works are the masters of bringing to life environments that you want to visit. That look-out looked lovely.

I think the supernatural element is interesting. I'm certainly interested to see what they do with it.

Question: that chick who was talking to the dude who likes Lezzie Glasses Girl in his bedroom: is that his mom or an older sister?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Or both?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Question: that chick who was talking to the dude who likes Lezzie Glasses Girl in his bedroom: is that his mom or an older sister?

Sister.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Or both?

This ain't Chinatown, Jake.

@ Vaisaga - Danke Schoen.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:
Wow, that was refreshing but I can barely stand Touko now. There are a lot of flags in the air even with the spoiler[mountain climbing]

Some of the scenes felt more natural in this episode while we get some silly moments as well. Idk what direction this show will still go in as of now though. Seems like the concept of 'future' is still intact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10