• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Recovery

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I hear Spanish dubs tend to be a lot better than most English dubs in terms of execution, translation, directing, voice work, and lack of censorship, but I have a hard time believing some of those claims.

No they're not. That's a dumb generalization. The so called best Latino Spanish dub, which is DBZ has like a bazillion name changes and despite being generally accurate has plenty of dub errors. Cowboy Bebop, which is America's overrated dub has ZERO name changes. Not ONE. Oh and you need to do some research on "Spanish" dubs. Both the term "English" dubs and "Spanish" dubs are really [expletive] vague.

Last edited by SynergyMan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
ShaolinWolf wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I hear Spanish dubs tend to be a lot better than most English dubs in terms of execution, translation, directing, voice work, and lack of censorship, but I have a hard time believing some of those claims.

There are some bad Spanish dubs, but in general, I would say, yes, they are better.

The Spanish studios just have so much more experience because of all the dubbing work they get. Not only has anime been getting dubbed for a super long time, but American movies and TV series get dubbed as well. So what you get is a robust industry with never-ending work, and voice actors who have been in the business for decades. Basically the exact opposite from what you have here in the U.S.

Nope, that's wrong. Up until the late 70s, the first version outside the Japanese versions were always English dubs(of any kind). Speed Racer, Astro Boy and as of now, it's usually the American English dub that came out first. So actually dumbass, when it comes to ANIME, the English VAs have more experience. That's why I don't care about foreign opinions on American/Canadian dubs. They don't mean anything.

Please don't turn this into an anti-English dub tirade. I have never EVER seen other language dubs scrutinized in the same way as English dubs from the US/Canada. Why the hypocrisy and double standards? As someone who can understand Italian, I'm aware Italian dubs USED to be God, but there were also bad dubs. All language dubs are the same. No one set general standard can define them.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
Imo, Sakurasou had the most irritating cast of characters I've ever seen.

Yeah, I wanted to throttle the entire cast to death. They didn't act like people so much as bizarre distortions of people that don't actually exist in the real world. Fine for a zany and carefree comedy, but completely atrocious for a drama.

However, I wouldn't hate on Ishizuka too much. Yes, as director she must shoulder a lot of the blame, that is clear. But I reckon just as much blame lies with two others. The show was written by the infamous Mari Okada - who adds awful melodrama to as many shows as she can - and it was adapted from an existing light novel series by Hajime Kamoshida.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
After reading the question about the Shangri-La S.A.V.E. set, I was a bit confused. As the first batch(which I have) didn't have a S.A.V.E. spine, just the 2 sets shoved into the artbox with a S.A.V.E. insert taped to the box.

But after reading this with the pics posted, now I understand. That is pretty funny. Also makes me wonder how they did not catch that before it went to be printed.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
For directors I highly suggest Kenji Nakamura he directed Mononoke (not Princess), Tsuritama, Kuuchuu Buranko, C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, and Gatchaman Crowds. Very distinct styles and does a lot of cool visuals.

As for something like the "Insert Title Here," these things kind of happen. My friend works for a small video game company and for one of their releases they had a special edition but the music disks have "Special Editon" on them.

My friend is a very good editor and everyone in the company looked over the packaging before it was set out to print. Everyone missed it.

And from something where they have generic packaging set up I can totally see how it could slip past. I do web design and often text can just become a design element and I no longer actually read the text.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
As for something like the "Insert Title Here," these things kind of happen. My friend works for a small video game company and for one of their releases they had a special edition but the music disks have "Special Editon" on them.

That sounds... accurate.

Justin: not sure how big a deal it is, but the link for Kimi no Iru Machi in the article directs to the TV show, not the OVA, which is what Yoshiura directed.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
For how much Aniplex of America charges for their shows, you'd think they could afford to hire a freakin' translator. Confused

Oh, and FUNimation is indeed planning to fix the Shangri-La S.A.V.E. covers. You can contact them if you want one.

Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/484763973862957057

IZFSLE wrote:
And lastly, the $150 Gurren Lagann set from AoA is fraught with typos and awful translations. I was told AoA at least back's up their price with quality, but I guess I was misinformed.

Buddy, you have *NO* idea. If you knew half of the shit AoA gets away with for their so called "quality" releases, you'd be madder than a jalapeno-flavored hornet's nest. Mad
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to chime in about the Spanish dubs. I've seen plenty and it's true they didn't use to be censored. Well, I guess the ones in the 80s were censored, then in the 90s they started getting the original version and doing they're own dubs without any censoring. I believe it was in the late 90s, early 00s we started getting the Toonami version of shows. That is, they already came censored and then they were dubbed in Spanish (I believe this started with Inu Yasha)

Well, anyway, what I really wanted to say is that as with everything, it depends. There are very good ones and very bad ones (and even shows that have 2 dubs, one with general language, and another with very localized heavy slang jokes that is clearly made only for the country in which it was dubbed). I used to like the Spanish dubs over the USA dubs, because they sounded more natural, but I admit to not having watched any English dubs since the early 90s so I don't think I'm a very good judge. I prefer subs now that I no longer have to depend on whatever the television networks want to program.

But I recently had an interesting experience. I had seen GS Mikami many years ago, dubbed in Spanish, and while it isn't the greatest show on earth, my boyfriend and me enjoyed it, specially the character Yokoshima who is hilarious in a very infantile way that in our eyes would not have worked if it had been played out by any other voice actor. Out of nostalgia I picked up the individual DVD volumes when RightStuff had its annual Xmas sale (They were like 3 dollars per dvd). I was a little bit nervous because these were Japanese -English subs only, and I wondered if (ironically) it would even be funny with the original actor. Well... I was impressed. They were almost the same voices, down to a T and I could only pick up one or two instances in which the joke had been changed by the Spanish dub. I was actually impressed and absolutely surprised.

Not all of them were like this of course, Just thought I'd share my experience.
Firstsummer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
One young director to definitely keep an eye on is Hiroyasu Ishida, who is only in his 20s.
His recent short for noitaminA Paulette's Chair was just as good as his previous award-winning student works Fumiko's Confession and Rain Town.
There was also a short film 'Hinata no Aoshigure' in Japanese cinemas last year which has yet to surface, but you can check out the awesome trailer here.
Can't wait to see a feature length film by him.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I think it's fair to say American conventions are getting worse. I think it's mainly because they have shifted away from their purpose and are now essentially internet fandom conventions. My Little Pony, Homestuck, RWBY, Dr. Who, That Guy With the Glasses/YouTube reviewers and tons of other fandoms which have nothing to do with anime are present at conventions now. Conventions have been refitted to just be a catchall tumblr/Reddit convention for whatever is currently trendy on those social media sites. It has severely lowered the overall quality of the convention circuit.

These days I only go to Japanese conventions where you don't have to worry about those kinds of issues. Although since I can only attend them on my annual trip to Japan, it's not as often as I would like, sadly.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:

Justin: not sure how big a deal it is, but the link for Kimi no Iru Machi in the article directs to the TV show, not the OVA, which is what Yoshiura directed.

I have fixed the link.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
I think it's fair to say American conventions are getting worse. I think it's mainly because they have shifted away from their purpose and are now essentially internet fandom conventions.
I agree. Almost every artist in the AA had some kind of MLP, Marvel comics, or Adventure Time prints for sale (nothing against the artists for wanting to make money, it just really demonstrates the shifting interests of attendees).
Fandoms like Homestuck especially are so big I'm puzzled as to why they don't have their own convention yet.

Anyway, I still enough fun in the exhibit hall and places to feel I got my money's worth, but the crowds really were a drag, and waiting nearly 4 hours for my badge out in the sun was absolutely ridiculous. I've been going to AX on and off since 07 and I've never felt so much like a sardine as I did this year.

Looking forward to PMX this fall. There's not as much to see and do in a hotel-con but at least I can take two steps without crashing into somebody and there's no line for badge pickup.
eternalblue81

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
That reminds me of my Sentai release of HenNeko. They blatantly got a character's name wrong on the back cover.

Sentai also misspelled the main character's name on the back case of Xam'd. It embarrasses me when I find such stupid errors on official products, but I guess they don't care since they seem to keep making the same mistakes.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Went to AX this year, and I was surprised at just how long the lines were. Day 1 I expected, but day 2 as well? A far cry from last year, when I went starting from day 2 at around 10am and the line was practically non-existent. Still, I had fun (got a lot of autographs, cheap anime, and even asked Yamakan a question). Like others said, part of the experience can also involve exploring the city. We had a grand old time eating around the hotel and getting drunk. After leaving the con day 4 we headed to Little Tokyo, which felt like a mini convention (I saw many AX attendees wandering about) and got a final anime deal. Earlier this year I attended Anime Conji in San Diego for a day, and while it was pretty small, it was fun, exploring the hotel was cool, found some great deals, and the beachside location was beautiful.

Spanish dubs are interesting. I am a bilingual Spanish speaker, but I have yet to watch many anime dubbed in Spanish, and I still am a bit surprised every time I hear an anime in Spanish.(ironically, I'm used to Spanish dubbed movies) I know Sony often puts Spanish subs (and dubs at times) for their anime movie releases, and Aniplex I think has some subs, but that's it.

As for mistakes, has anyone noticed Funi's SAVE release of Phantom bluray mistakenly says Bluray+Dvd on the spine?

Oh, and as for directors, Nakamura and Yoshiura are great. The director of Kyousogiga is also promising.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I went to AX this year and I did enjoy it. I am an LA native, so the exploring the city part may not quite be for me, but in general, even though I did have fun, I think last year's was better. Much less people, and I know that every year it will probably get more crowded, but I'll probably keep going until it reaches Comic-con's levels of fighting for tickets then I'll probably move on.
Last year I did go with more friends, so I think that's why I found it more fun too...
I want to try smallers cons though, I've gone to Comikaze, that's really small, and I want to go to Sakura-con in Seattle some day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4