• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AniCool Crowdfunding Platform Launches with 'Serendipity' Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
So this is kinda like an anime version of It's A Wonderful Life?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
They're raising... $10,000 for a 30-40 minute anime?

That's maybe 1/10-1/20th the production cost of a 30 minute anime these days. Where are they getting the rest of the money, or is this just going to be some barely animated slideshow?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
The FAQ on their site doesn't explain much, for example if international backers are allowed.

Agree with samuelp, the cost seems a bit on the light side...
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Other independent crowdfunding platforms have cropped up since the success of Kickstarter. Anipop attempted to fund three different anime projects, including Kenji Itoso's Santa Company film but they failed. Itoso relaunched his campaign on Kickstarter and succeeded last year.

The network effect is a bitch to overcome. Other than Kickstarter, Indiegogo is pretty successful in general purpose crowdfunding, but in different ways, as it is more flexible.

I think smaller projects should use Prefundia or their own pre-launch project to begin with, before actually launching the campaign, just to get the word out and get feedback. I had no idea about anicool.jp and Serendipity, and there are only 18 days left!

samuelp wrote:
They're raising... $10,000 for a 30-40 minute anime?

That's maybe 1/10-1/20th the production cost of a 30 minute anime these days. Where are they getting the rest of the money, or is this just going to be some barely animated slideshow?

I'm assuming this must be only partial funding and they want to have a reachable goal. The rest could come out-of-pocket. They surely must have day-jobs. It does pretty look low budget though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1