• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haikyu!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
^ I have the same feeling when I'm watching this and Diamond no Ace. Makes my Sundays perfect Laughing

One thing I like about this anime is that we aren't seeing what you'd usually see in shounen sports. Retarded powerups. Everyone one has a specific set of skills but none of them are unrealistic. They all have certain things that they each take care of and you never see one person taking up to much of the action. It's always split up fairly evenly.

Another thing that I like about it is how anyone who has played sports can somewhat relate to the characters. Asahi is probably my favorite character. This is because he is me in a nutshell. I'm tall, lack self-confidence at times but am very light hearted and clumsy. So i really felt for him during those few episodes of dedication he got. Being a leader of a team makes it easy to unintentionally take all the blame on yourself. Heck I was an offensive lineman in college and hated myself for making even one mistake. For some folks having the mentality that unless you are perfect you aren't worth jack just comes with the territory. I would constantly beat myself up for stuff like that when we watched film after the games. Having your mistakes pointed out harshly sucks a lot Crying or Very sad

Kageyama is also a guy your likely to see if you watch sports for a while. I'm talking about how he was when he first started of course. Always thinking they know best, ridiculing their teammates for petty mistakes etc. Some people might think it's overdramatic but those kinds of people do ACTUALLY exist. And depending how good they are it might not even matter if they are dicks. They'll still ending up playing as starters regardless. Some schools try to put up the illusion that everyone will be nice to one another all the time but that's rarely the case. Besides some harsh reinforcement can be a good thing sometimes. It makes you even that more motivated not to mess up again. Which is why i envy people in sports anime like this where everyone is nice and jolly with each other...........if only such a world existed Sad .
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, me too. I'm running out of ways to say how much I am loving this. All the character expressions are killing me with joy. Smile The post-game bonding was golden, especially between now best bros Tanaka and Yamamoto, and the hilarious SFX-speak between Hinata and Inuoka. Even their voices are matched to the point that I had trouble telling which one was speaking. Smile I think it also says a lot about the series and how well it has characterized its multitude of personalities when even the eyecatches make me laugh every time.

A reviewer commented that some people might have trouble getting past the insect-like character designs, and I can kinda see what they meant, but the cds are one of the things I really warm up to with this. If I have any criticism of the cds it's how the neck shadows are lined in instead of color shaded, which somehow makes them look kind of sickly sometimes.

Anyway, between this and Diamond no Ace, I think I have to go watch some Oofuri now...
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Which is why i envy people in sports anime like this where everyone is nice and jolly with each other...........if only such a world existed Sad .

It existed for me! When I played Volleyball in High school everybody had a good relationship, we were a really united team. Hell, we alot of times played volleyball or other sports(if not volleyball normally basketball) at breaktime.

About this episode! It was amazing! I loved it!
Unfortunately I have a bad thing to say about it. The pace comparing with the manga is too fast, they adapted 4 chapters in this episode and last episode they adapted 3.5 chapters, and because of that they had to remove a significant amount of content in both episodes, but nothing significant to the enjoyment of the episodes or something needed for future episodes.
Well, maybe that will bring more anime watchers to go read the manga, given that the entire experience is not in the anime. If things work like that than the manga sales will be incredible high!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

It was a good episode, and the series is just good in general, characters are good fun, and the experience with rival was a positive as they were good characters in themselves. The after match bit was indeed great.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Loved the various - more or less successful - attempts at rival bonding after the game! This show is getting close to snatching the "most adorable sports series ever" title from Oofuri if it continues like that. Very Happy

I know I feel the same way, I adore Oofuri and everything about it but Haikyu is storming up to it very quickly.

I loved this episode and the tension I felt during what seemed like a never ending set was immense. I was thinking and hoping that the practice game would go over another episode or two in hopes that a second season would be needed Laughing

I'm very excited for the next one to two episodes of practice to see how they can better themselves after this defeat.

By the sounds of things from previous comments I need to start watching Diamond no Ace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Diamond no Ace can be very frustrating (and its protagonist very annoying) until it hits its stride, and then it doesn't look back. Smile

Just marathoned the first season of Oofuri, and yeah, I have to say Haikyuu!! has surpassed it now. Still love Oofuri to death of course, but I think this outshines it in both humor and drama, not to mention overall energy. Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote

I think the boys just saw Heaven.

Good built-up episode with the music montage. And speaking of which, I like the spoiler[new ED song.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
"Do your best" made me well up as stoney face Shimizu really does care.

That episode was a fantastic build up for the start of the inters. They have some tough opponents coming up and I'll be surprised if they don't meet both of them.

I'm not sure if it was because I was streaming this episode on my iPad through my to my Apple TV but did anyone else think that the visual quality had dropped slightly? It doesn't bother me as I watch shows for their story telling but I just wondered if anyone else had noticed.

I can't wait for the inters to start next episode, looks like it will be solid action from now on through to the end of the series. Very Happy
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote

spoiler[So Inter-high is approaching.
They're doing lots and lots of practicing.
Looks like there are lots of strong teams.
Karasuno will have a difficult, if not impossible task.
As they are right now, there is still a lot of room for improvement.
Other teams at Inter-high will punish every mistake.
It was nice to see glimpses of other teams.
Great episode!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14

The show rarely disappoints, always end up entertained. I liked the little bit in the pep rally where whats his name tried to do a V sign and got it knocked away.

Not sure if it has really been mentioned before, but I like to think of every member as a cartoony crow of themselves, the girls team now too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I knew heads were going to explode over spoiler[the banner] (which I love), but even there they surprised me spoiler[(I was expecting the usual steam exhaust Smile).]

I miss the old ED already. Sad

It's going to take me awhile to sort out all the new characters and schools. Looks like I get to have to watch the episode again.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
This show never disappoints: loved the scene with Shimizu, but the highlight for me was Tanaka spoiler[talking to his imaginary girlfriend]. Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
This show never disappoints: loved the scene with Shimizu, but the highlight for me was Tanaka spoiler[talking to his imaginary girlfriend]. Laughing

Tanaka's a riot. Love the baka trio: Hinata, Tanaka, and Noya san. X3
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 15:
Several things:

First of all, I like the new OP song. Then, we get spoiler[new rivals that I think could spice up some fun. As for the competition itself, I like how they used that raven as a symbolism to flight as in for the Karasuno team to ascend. I hope they can make it far of course!]

New ED song was decent although I'm not digging it too much.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
I love how the show is treating genre chlichés by sublty undermining the viewer's expectations. spoiler[When the 3rd years started talking, i fully expected the usual "sentimental" stuff and was ready to roll my eyes, but what really happened surprised me and made me laugh a lot.]

Poor Asahi, though, he's so misunderstood. Laughing

While i don't dislike the new OP, i really miss the old one. It captured the energy of the show so perfectly. But the new ED is pretty nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 23