• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Well I'll be damned, I'm actually rather enjoying Girls und Panzer! Despite the moe aesthetic it's actually closer to sports shows and the matches so far have been interesting and with actually believable skill and tactics winning the day instead of HOT BLOOD. And Tankery being a safe, girly sport never ceases to be funny.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
This morning I finished watching Chance Pop Session. Akari Mizushima, Yūki Aoyama, and Nozomi Kaibara, three girls living separately in different places enter a music school to follow the path of Reika, a highly-talented singing idol. After being chosen by Kisaragi Akiba to engage in special training, they decide to venture further into the unknown of the music industry.
I enjoyed watching this show. It was fun seeing the differing lives of the trio bringing out their characteristics: Akari enjoying her religious singing, Yūki having fun hosting musicals out in the streets, and Nozomi relishing in luxury. I found the ending to be an emotionally happy one. Smile
Plus, from what I've heard, this show is said to be based on a true story...
Morisummer500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
July 8, 2014 anime watch list:

1. The two Demon King animes, Kyo Kara Moah and Demon King Daimao,

KK Maoh is okay, but I wish Wolfram would just get a girlfriend though,
it's a good anime actually. Demon King Daimao is really funny and entertaining, and really Ecchi with sexy characters, I just love it, and especially that cutie ditz Kano, i think that's her name?

2. Hikaru No Go-Sai is one of the funniest bishouen,( I think that's right?) characters ever and a Go playing savant! It is really edge of the seat drama when Hikaru plays a strong opponent, and I like to see if he can pull out a victory.

3.Kaze No Stigma, very entertaining, good fun characters and many different story lines and the catfight between Catherine and I think her name is Isomi isn't it, the fiery redheaded girl.

4. Wagamama Fairy, great catfight between two rival girls and their fairies, I like this anime style too, the way they make the characters look, I looks like maybe, Save Me Lollipop or Karirin.

5. Nuku Nuku Dash, much more serious stories than the comedic original.

6. Bridge Over A Starry Sky- that girl with the heart decorations is really cute.

7.Hayate- I just love Hayate, Nagi, that sweetheart Isumi, she's adorable, but I hate Klaus and that annoying tiger.

8. Ramna 1/2 I'm still not done with Shampoo et all, I still have some
OVA episodes to see.

9. Squid Girl, okay, she's hilarious with her "inkvasion" plans and her antics, but the Squid Ink spaghetti YECH!

10. Secret Of Bluewater- Jean is the best genius since the Professor to be stuck on a deserted island with. Nadia, though, can be a self righteous brat sometimes though.

11. Engaged to the Unidentified-because I just love Marshmallow!

12. Non Non Biyori- Renge is so adorable and funny.

13. Sakura Trick- I like seeing cute anime characters kiss, and those sisters matching daisy hairpins!

14. Magical Wars I just started watching this, I might have got the title wrong, but it's a good anime.

15. Toradora Taiga is so cute and adorable but mean and fiesty too.

[EDIT: Please use paragraph breaks to separate things. It will be a courtesy to all the users by making your posts less of a jumbled mess. Thanks. -TK]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
Well, I've caught up with most of the new shows this season, and sorted what I'll definitely be keeping, which of them get a stay of execution, and also the ones I'll be kicking to the curb right away.

The most impressive first episodes for me were Barakamon, Hanayamata and Zenkyou no Terror.

Barakamon's first ep was akin to a mini-Ghibli for me, the sense of displacement and the wonderful joy (naivety?) of being a child. Obviously the humour was very un-Ghibli and off-the-cuff but that just adds to the charm. Tons and tons of potential for personal growth in the lead and it's going to be great to watch.

In the case of Hanayamata, the same amount of potential growth in the main character also exists, this time through the medium of dance. It's beautifully animated and the first half of the episode was like a fairy tail (specifically Cinderella) which can't have been unintentional. The humour in the second half was fantastic and the only thing I could really fault the show on was perhaps the American sterotype (blond hair, blue eyes... They're not all aryan in the states, Japan Rolling Eyes) but I look forward to the introduction of the ensemble cast in the coming episodes.

I've made my feelings known for Zenkyou no Terror in the relevant thread, and I also make no secret of how much of a fanboy I am for Watanabe/Kanno productions... But it's because I went in expecting such high standards, and duly seeing them met, that has this one locked in as a weekly watch for me. The tense setting and ambiguous nature of the characters on display here was something I was looking for in the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul, which sadly fell a little short of the mark for me.

Gore for the sake of gore does not impress me in the slightest, and I can't help but wonder if the ridiculous popularity of Shingeki no Kyojin (sorry, Attack on Titan) means that we'll see more and more tales like Akame ga Kill! receive anime adaptations. For me it seemed to be trying to hard to push the boundaries of what was tasteful and pertinent, I'm not squeamish in the slightest but really, blood fountains just lend an air of the ridiculous to the proceedings. The humour was off-kilter with the more serious aspects of the show, and we have a completely generic lead. It's been my biggest disappointment of the season, and since it's a two cour, I'm unlikely to carry on with it. Will re-evaluate after the obligatory three episodes.

The only show that will not be receiving the three episode grace period is Rail Wars, I saw nothing at all that appealed to me in the first episode. Not one thing, and that's pretty rare.

I'm still waiting for a couple of shows to hit their stride, namely Aldnoah.Zero (which has my dreamteam of production values), and Glasslip (c'mon PA Works, you're better than this). Pleasant surprises came in the form of Ao Haru Ride, Locodol and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun whereby I went in blind and found myself enjoying one or more aspects of the episode.

Silver Link have impressed me greatly over recent years (despite controversy over them literally working their animators to death, but ssshhh) so I'll be rounding off my viewing with the first episode of Rokujyoma no Shinryakusha!?. I'd toyed with the idea of the Sailor Moon reboot, but I probably won't have enough time to watch a tale I have essentially watched already in the past. I do hope it does justice to the original though.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
And now it's time for an update!

I finished Cowboy Bebop and watched the movie. It is perfect. 'Nuff said.

Fullmetal Alchemist:
Last Stopped: Episode Five

Ed and Al have wonderful brotherly chemistry. (No, I'm not an Elricest shipper, because incest is gross.) What I mean is that I find their interactions to be believable and heartwarming. So far, I like the Elric brothers together. Edward is hilarious, and Alphonse is such a sweetie.

Also, this is the first time I saw Maes Hughes. I had the biggest, dorkiest smile on when I first saw him. I think I'm starting to like him. On to more episodes!

Neon Genesis Evangelion:
Last Stopped: Episode Thirteen

So far, so good. I haven't gotten to the part of the show where the confused philosophies start rearing their ugly heads. Also, I actually really liked the battle between NERV and Ireul. It was quite interesting and unique and very fun to watch. Overall, I really liked the first part of this anime.

Please don't let Shinji become a mouthpiece. Please don't let Asuka and Misato and Ritsuko become mouthpieces either. I like them, and I don't wanna be talked to. I'm scared. Sad

Princess Tutu
Last Stopped: Episode Fifteen

I forgot how much I loved this show. SO...we've got Rue, our spoiler[anti-christ analogue who just wants her daddy and the resident Jesus figure to love her.] We have Fakir and Duck, spoiler[our sour knight in armor and our selfless and adorable heroine who just want to protect said Jesus figure.] Finally,
we have Mytho, spoiler[the Jesus figure trying hard to not given into proxy!Satan's evilness.] Did I miss anything? I love all of our mains and some of the supporting characters. (Except Lilie; I want her to die so badly.) Plus, we've got mysteries and suspense and OMG I LURV THIS SHOW IT IS SMART AND INTERESTING AND THOUGHT-PROVOKING.

...fight the power, Mytho. Fight it.

Trigun:
Last Stopped: Episode Two

Already, I love our hero. Vash is the biggest doughnut-munching, chivalrous-perverting, peace-loving dork ever. Doesn't help that Johnny Yong Bosch's performance is fantastic. Also, I really like the world this show has set up. Sure, you have to carry firearms everywhere you go because of that whole lawlessness thing. Still, I'd like to pack my bags and move to Gunsmoke. Where can I get a tomas?

This is gonna be fun, indeed.

So, that's all. Until next time.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
Finished Sword Art Online. I rated it very good. I'm rather looking forward to series 2. I even preordered the first couple volumes of the light novel series on right stuf.

The next show I'm starting is Shakugan no Shana.I'm 9 episodes in and so far it's okay, but it's not really hooked me yet.

By the way, I really liked the Sword Art Offline shorts included in the blu-ray. I hope they do more for the new series.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
Long time I was away, an have not been watching much of anime in general over the past few months, with the Vikings and GoT taking over.

I am almost finished with Space Brothers. Really enjoying it, but it was not a show that made me want to watch it every week. I made three long hiatuses when watching and then just watched 20 episodes straight, in this run I should be able to watch the last remaining 8 episodes.

I am also watching Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. Pleasant watch, but can't say particularly thrilling. Part of the reason why I was not watching a lot of series is that I find it hard to come across titles that would grab my interest in the same way a lot of my favourites did, but I might just do a bit more digging.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Yesterday I started watching ToraDora. So far, I found the first two episodes of it to be quite amusing, particularly the part where Ryuuji tends Taiga's apartment. I have a feeling that Taiga's quick-tempered characteristic could make Ryuuji's more interestingly suspenseful, for better or worse.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
And now it's time for an update!

Fullmetal Alchemist:
Last Stopped: Episode 9

NINA TUCKER NOOOO. Why is this show so good at writing emotion? First, theyspoiler[ kill an innocent little girl and her dog]. Then, spoiler[Edward gets caught in a room with a serial killer and completely breaks down afterward.] Worse, there's more stuff to come that'll make my tear ducts flow. I'm also noticing a prevalent theme on people's perceptions of the Amestris military. Hmmm...

Well, those are my thoughts so far. Good show. Can't wait for more.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Last Stopped: Episode 16

AAAAAND the confused philosophizing begins. Okay, Shinji having a complete and utter freak out over his imminent demise? That's normal. A five-minute break where Shinji's...id...initiates a random objectivist discussion out of nowhere. What. The. Hell. I wanted to see more Shinji crying. At the very least, that's a normal human reaction to being eaten by the monster of the week.

But there was good stuff too. Asuka is interesting to follow. (Sayaka Miki is much like her in attitude and extroversion.) Misato and Ritsuko make a great pair. The acting has certainly improved. I dunno. I need to see more. I have to complete this.

Princess Tutu
Last Stopped: Episode 22

THIS SHOW IS SO GOOOOOD. I've noticed several prevalent themes the story writes in; true love and the desire to be loved; trying to be someone you're not; defying fate and making your own destiny. This is genius! Also, the characters have fantastic development and depth. LOVE THIS. LOVE THIS.

Also, am I the only one who thinks of Drosselmeyer as Gen Urobuchi? Particularly the tragedy syndrome he has. That might just be me though. :/

Trigun
Last Stopped: Episode 5

Boy howdy this show is fun. I wanted to make Kuroneko-sama my new background, but my computer won't let me for some reason. Also, I really like Vash for being a total dorky badass pacifist, and Milly for being an adorable and genuinely decent person. Oh, and Meryl, too!

MOAR.

And here's my schedule for what shows I'll be watching next:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Wolf's Rain or Fate Zero.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: GURREN LAGANN!!!!!
Princess Tutu: Haibane Renmei
Trigun: Either Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 or Code Geass R2.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Also, I really like Vash for being a total dorky badass pacifist, and Milly for being an adorable and genuinely decent person. Oh, and Meryl, too!.

And the best character hasn't even shown up yet. Those who have watched it will know who I mean. Without giving anything away, am I right or am I right, Trigun fans?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Also, I really like Vash for being a total dorky badass pacifist, and Milly for being an adorable and genuinely decent person. Oh, and Meryl, too!.

And the best character hasn't even shown up yet. Those who have watched it will know who I mean. Without giving anything away, am I right or am I right, Trigun fans?

No. Who is it? Vash is the best character. Are you talking about the guy who looks like Spike (except the hair)?
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

No. Who is it? Vash is the best character. Are you talking about the guy who looks like Spike (except the hair)?
I assume they mean Wolfwood.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
A five-minute break where Shinji's...id...initiates a random objectivist discussion out of nowhere. What. The. Hell.

The angel is trying to communicate with Shinji, Kazuya Tsurumaki explained this in an interview as not wanting to have a typical "We're superior than thou" conversation. I fail to see anything objectivist there however. Part of the English title for the episode is "Sickness Unto Death", a reference to a book by Soren Kierkegaard about despair, which ties in very well with Shinji's issues. If you want to link Eva with some philosophy, it's existentialism.

Such dialogues/introspection is what makes late Evangelion distinct, so if you just want more crying be warned. Wink
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
^ Well, if I have to be told what was happening in that scene, then it failed to communicate it's purpose. How was I supposed to know that was the angel in the first place? Besides, it's still textbook-style telling and not showing for five minutes. I didn't come here to read a philosophy textbook.

Also, existentialism, no objection-ism. Sorry. My mistake.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
^ Well, if I have to be told what was happening in that scene, then it failed to communicate it's purpose.

Not by much, because the fact that it's an angel is a minor detail. The reason for that scene is obviously for Shinji to tackle his own problems. Even if that's an angel, it takes all the information from Shinji's own brain.

As for the show don't tell, Anno (or Tsurumaki, can't remember which) said that he added scenes like this, because in his opinion otakus often can't read information given in a more subtle manner. Introspection is hard to do in a visual medium. You either get an infodump (here you at least have a dialogue) or a long sequence of mainly visual impressions (a la Tarkovsky), that many people find just as irritating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 817 of 1062