• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Facing reality can be hard.
Especially in his unusual case.
Looks like he managed to find some acceptance.
Damn, he was a nervous wreck.
Trying to lead a normal life in his current state won't be easy.
Seems like other ghouls are succeeding at that.
It was a surprise to see that bastard again.
At least Kaneki showed some initiative.
Guess he's not a total wuss after all.]

Great episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Ah, they introduced spoiler[Yoshimura] this episode nice. He's quite an important character.

Poor Kankei though Anime cry

Good to see spoiler[Nishiki again I suppose even though I don't like him much. Looks like they did adapt the part where Hide gets his face stomped. Ouch. Decent episode although I wonder how the pacing will go from this point.]

I gotta say though, Kaneki was awesome this episode. His development with his powers is quite something already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 2

I thought this episode moved a little fitfully and not altogether smooth. However, the horror of his situation is working fine so far and at least there are no speed lines or people pooping in their pants like AoT. It was interesting what they did visually with the changing colors, backgrounds and mood. I also think that it was interesting choice to make Rize spoiler[a more active participant. Is she just a hallucination or is it more than that]? I've read some of the manga in the past and I'm pretty sure they weren't doing that in the beginning. Still that was interesting.

The guy screams an awful lot in his apartment. Has he no neighbors?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
I am totally blown away by Hanae's performance as Kaneki in this series. I know who I'll be voting for Best Male Rookie for the next Seiyuu Awards. *nod*

Now if only he'd get more screen time in Ace of Diamond... Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yep, this is good, I might prefer a little bit more gore be shown since the censorship made it pretty hard to understand that one scene, and I am prepared. I do like the flashes with Rize, regardless if it is actually her in some way it a cool method to convey the temptation. Thought it was actually kind of cool that spoiler[he totally lost control, looked like he put up a fight that she had bandages too].

Probably common knowledge, but since reading up myth and folklore was my hobby in High School I will talk a bit about ghouls in folklore. Ghouls are supposed to be monsters that hang out at graveyards, and apparently feed on the bodies of dead humans. I imagine that a ghoul society in this show at least should include connections to morgues and other places where a body could be taken without having to harm the living.

Now that I think about it, our lead's situation kind of reminds me of another series where a human gets turned into a ghoul, which the anime kind of ruined, better be careful as I don't think there will be a succubus to bail him out.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I laughed my ass off when spoiler[that dude was screaming "I am dying, I am dying, I am dying , I am dying!"]For a show trying to be dark, that entire action scene sure came off as cartoonish.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show... for me right now the only draw back is how much they censor it. At the start of the show it was almost like looking at a black screen with audio playing in the background.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
Pretty solid episode, I think they're doing a great job portraying Kaneki's struggle, and like GokuMew2 said, the voice performance is fantastic. I'm still not completely sold, but I'm definitely looking forward to how spoiler[Hide will react to knowing the truth], so I'll give it one more episode
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Well we got the opening theme this time around, and I must say I really liked the visuals. The song wasn't really my style, but the part where those wing-like things erupted from Rize and Touka's backs was gorgeous.

The little flashback to when Kaneki and Hide were kids was sweet. For a moment I was a bit worried that spoiler[Kaneki might actually take a bite out of him, if not outright kill him], but thankfully that didn't happen. Seeing him spoiler[when the ghoul part has taken him over] was both amazing and terrifying.

I'm interested in finding out what those two guys at the end are up to, and also what'll happen now that spoiler[Hide heard at least part of that conversation.]
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:18 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga but I'm really curious about Hide. spoiler[They seem to be hinting that he is more than he lets on, would like to know more of his back-story. Also, there are versions of this episode floating around with the fight scene color corrected.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
SethMosrite wrote:
I haven't read the manga but I'm really curious about Hide. spoiler[They seem to be hinting that he is more than he lets on, would like to know more of his back-story. Also, there are versions of this episode floating around with the fight scene color corrected.]

How do you figure? Hide seems so sweetly innocent and naïve to me, a very sensitive and caring friend. I just hope Kaneki will let him in on the secret so they can continue to be bros. He's a good, humanizing supportive character.

So Toka was spoiler[born a ghoul. I'd rather people be turned into ghouls like vampires than born ghouls. Leaves them with no control over their situation, and you kind of *have* to see them as "good" because they had no choice.] So if we are to see ghouls as good guys, they better have a way out of the whole eating humans thing so they're sympathetic. Eating already dead humans, or only eating evil humans are two possible ways to go.

The color shading bothered me, but I thought it was a stylistic decision until I read that it was censorship on the boards!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I laughed my ass off when spoiler[that dude was screaming "I am dying, I am dying, I am dying , I am dying!"]For a show trying to be dark, that entire action scene sure came off as cartoonish.

Well, if he wasn't giving us the play by play, how would we know what was even going on in that horribly obscured, color-inverted, censored scene? Laughing
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Damn that is a pretty freaking good op song. And I usually don't like these type of songs.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm just getting back into the anime scene after years of not keeping up with pretty much anything. But is this kind of censoring common for TV broadcasts? So far, the 2 instances I've seen are spoiler[ a blacked out screen of what I think was a decapitated head in Kaneki's lap, and then the scene where Nishiki get's ripped apart.]

I guess I find it kinda' weird that they would animate it to be too extreme for TV, but then probably de-censor it for home video, later, as I've never really encountered that particular situation.

Other than that, though, this is looking to be a great show. It reminds me of a cross between the Underworld movies (secret society of ghouls, instead of vampires) and the character Seres Victoria from Hellsing, in that Kaneki is spoiler[ a half-breed struggling with his remaining humanity.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I'm just getting back into the anime scene after years of not keeping up with pretty much anything. But is this kind of censoring common for TV broadcasts?

Yes it is common. Pupa was released recently and literally half of the episodes had black spots. We have to wait for blurays to get the uncensored version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15