• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
SAO II, second episode, immediately continues stupidity of the first series:

spoiler[1) girl-sniper does not warn her comrades that the big opponent guy has heavy weapon;
2) one of her comrades comes to ridiculous hysteria;
3) the girl in the beginning says she can not change her position -- supposedly, due to weight of her weapon (which slows movement significantly, as her big adversary with mini gun shows) -- but then showing easily running with it;
4) through whole episode, the girl runs with ridiculous nonsense that "no one smiles in the battlefield", though it very much happens in games (even sometimes even in real life battles);
5) when weapons hit game personages, they fall apart into pieces, but somehow the girl only had her leg cut.]

None of this happens in any real MMORPG collaborative gameplay scenarios. All of this is made as a lazy, cheap way to create fake drama. (I am not saying that SOA I/II is bad overall, though, as there is more to this project that just depiction of gameplay.)

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
wait, wait, wait. you honestly believe that Free! only has a median rating of Very Good, and not Masterpiece on this site because of things like Rin's shark teeth, confusing imagery when swimming and lack of penis bulges? And why do you take the median rating for shows on only this site as gospel?

I never said I believe what you are implying. As I wrote before, there are few axioms in anime that viewers have to accept, but in everything else it has to make as much sense as possible. Taking it away from here and there makes people downgrade the show. Trying to pretend that it is perfect is ridiculous.

A set of various drawbacks -- big and little -- makes people downgrade the show, not specifically teeth or bulges.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
So, how those teeth are an indication that a certain scene is "in the head"?

I never said that the teeth were indicative of a certain scene being from a character perspective, I said they were a meta comment on Rin's personality. It's like complaining about the builds and hair colors of the guys in KnB, or the fact that some of them wear jewelry and other accessories while playing basketball. These things wouldn't happen in real life, but they're used to tell us things about the characters. It's visual shorthand.

So, what perspective or emotion open-mouthed (!) swimming under water (!) showcases?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

So, what perspective or emotion open-mouthed (!) swimming under water (!) showcases?

This has been explained. Open mouthed swimming is done in conjunction with heavy breathing. It's supposed to indicate the heavy strain of swimming, though, unlike Rin's teeth, this is a visual metaphor that isn't actually happening. In other sports series, the characters are on dry land; the 'camera' can pan across the players while they are breathing heavily, or show them dripping with sweat during plays. Free doesn't have the luxury, so must indicate the pressure in other methods. In this instance, it's through metaphor.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm getting tired of this.

MaxSouth, you get a warning for serial posting. This is a clear violation of forum rules.

Also, drop the one-man crusade to try to redefine what fan service targeted at female audiences should be. Absolutely no one agree with you on this concerning Free! - in fact, the people whom the series is most specifically targeted at have said that you don't know what you're talking about - and you're approaching soapboxing territory now.

Discussion on that matter is closed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
As I explained earlier, such lame "metaphors" do not go together with otherwise overall realistic way swimming is shown. It is not consistent and unnecessary, it cheapens whole thing. As if viewers are idiots who would not grasp the idea that swimming at record setting pace is very hard.

Key wrote:
Okay, I'm getting tired of this.

MaxSouth, you get a warning for serial posting. This is a clear violation of forum rules.

Sorry, I am just used to forum engines being able to merge consecutive posts. Did you guys think of slightly upgrading the forum engine for such functionality?

Quote:
drop the one-man crusade to try to redefine what fan service targeted at female audiences should be

Anyone can track it to the very beginning of discussion on this. I explained what I see as inconsistent in this aspect, others wrote that target audience does not really care, and I accepted that, because it seems to be the case. Then someone else has asked what contradictory is about visual style of Free!, and I had to explain it again. I critiqued Free! during the first season, but fanservice part was never a target of it, because I do not care, and I am not doing any crusades on this. And I agree that we are now going circles about it, everything is already said.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Nevermind. Let's just drop it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Nobody cares, MaxSouth, and if you post about Free again I'm going to ban you just for the sweet sound of silence on the matter.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
SAO II, second episode, immediately continues stupidity of the first series:

Aww come on man. Don't make me have to admit to Key that he was right after all about the hatewatching aspect of GGO.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that Funimation is sitting on Barakamon for whatever the company's reasons may be. It's probably my favorite show this season.

They aren't holding it back until they complete the English dub, are they? That seems a rather suicidal marketing strategy.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
It's sad that Funimation is sitting on Barakamon for whatever the company's reasons may be. It's probably my favorite show this season.

They aren't holding it back until they complete the English dub, are they? That seems a rather suicidal marketing strategy.

Wait, you mean the reason there's no review yet for Barakamon even though two episodes have already aired, that it hasn't been available for streaming in R1 yet? That's a new one... Though I do have vague memory of reading about something like that in an earlier article on this site, think it was this. Though I'm surprised if Funi isn't streaming it yet?

It seems to be available elsewhere at least, I can watch both episodes subbed in English on Crunchy here in Finland (though I chose other means to watch it).

I can't definitely say it's my favorite, but it's a surprisingly fresh breeze of air among shows this season...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Delays like this with Funi have happened before; in fact, it's probably happened an average of once per season since they started simulcast streaming. Almost certainly it has nothing to do with dubbing.

The last currently-scheduled streaming debut (Nobunaga Concerto) is late Tuesday night U.S. time, so Zac will probably close the Guide out no later than Wednesday. Since Funi doesn't even have the title listed on their simulcast page yet (much less scheduled), I'm not holding my breath that they will get it up before the PG ends.

EDIT: And yes, Blanchimont, as we've said basically about every three or four pages in this thread, because it's not yet being legally streamed in North America (where the whole staff resides), it doesn't meet our criteria for being previewable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
my guess is that there is some sort of materials delay going on with Barakamon and Sengoku
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
If there is one thing I love about this show, it is having no clue what the next episode will bring. I lost it when they went to the universe with "Big" Dandy.

So true.

This show is so much fun!
ob1foru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac Bertschy has to be the worst "previewer" I've ever read.

But hey there's a second review under his so, it must be OK to have his garbage first right?

That is the tone of your "preview" Zac. When is ANN going to realize they're supposed to be giving a neutral narrative on anime on the horizon without injecting their own personal opinions which turn "previews" into "reviews."

You might as well rewrite the "headline" now and echo that statement. You're basically "reviewing" the first episode and making rating judgments on content based solely upon the first episode delivery.

But hey, Zac Bertschy works for a site that gets hundreds of thousands of hits so what do I know? After all, Zac Bertschy is supposed to be on the cutting edge of this and I'm just a lowly "member" which can give more objectivity off a homemade blog then he can. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 51