• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
a good team fight. can't wait for next week.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 was better than episode 1, no doubt. The action was enjoyable. However, at the same time the end of the action where spoiler[Sinon jumps off the building with her sniper rifle and pulls a head shot on the big guy while in mid air is pretty much BS. I've never seen a heavy sniper rifle able to be that accurate in mid air in any FPS that I've played (and I've played a fair number of them)]. The game always penalizes you for being in mid air while using a heavy sniper rifle. The only sniper rifle I've used consistently that had that kind of capability was the light sniper rifle, the Steyr Scout from Counter-Strike, which was the lightest weapon in the game (it was even lighter than the knife).

Aside from that, I suppose I should also be happy I got to see Kirito with his harem at the end as well. There was even some tentacle action in there for good times sake.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering why she didn't just quick scope. Also, don't mini-guns need to warm up before they shoot? I would figure that'd give an ample opening.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also, don't mini-guns need to warm up before they shoot? I would figure that'd give an ample opening.

I was drifting in and out of the episode, but it did have a small warm up period, didn't it? I thought that was what the red beams were that appeared before the bullets actually shot out. Maybe he has some kind of skill or item that reduces the time it takes to start up, though.

Anyway, it was a decent episode. IDK if that was the best use of 20 minutes, especially since the entire episode was about Sinon. I would have preferred the battle to be condensed into the first half of the episode (easily done, IMO), and the rest to give us a peek into her life in the real world or a better look into her character than just a good sniper. That would have been great. Still good.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The game always penalizes you for being in mid air while using a heavy sniper rifle. The only sniper rifle I've used consistently that had that kind of capability was the light sniper rifle, the Steyr Scout from Counter-Strike, which was the lightest weapon in the game (it was even lighter than the knife).

Sinon is just that good. spoiler[Besides, it was a near point blank shot by that point, looked like maybe 20ft away or less.] The CoDMoH super serious shooter games might have huge penalties, but this is more a Borderlands or Unreal Tournament style action shooter, so I could see them not outright penalizing you (aside form it just being ordinarily difficult to make an aimed shot while moving).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Episode 2 was better than episode 1, no doubt. The action was enjoyable. However, at the same time the end of the action where spoiler[Sinon jumps off the building with her sniper rifle and pulls a head shot on the big guy while in mid air is pretty much BS. I've never seen a heavy sniper rifle able to be that accurate in mid air in any FPS that I've played (and I've played a fair number of them)]. The game always penalizes you for being in mid air while using a heavy sniper rifle. The only sniper rifle I've used consistently that had that kind of capability was the light sniper rifle, the Steyr Scout from Counter-Strike, which was the lightest weapon in the game (it was even lighter than the knife).

Well, she is not actually using a controller or keys, so what she must have done was spoiler[calculate the force of her jump, her weight, the weapon's weight in an act to line up a single shot]. Even crazier than just being penalized.

I am getting interested, my two playstyles in these games are usually a stealthy assassin or a sniper (I am not that great with frontal dogfights). Also my accuracy is a bit subpar, I make up for it with good situational awareness, probably held back because I am still a lone gamer.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Episode 2 was better than episode 1, no doubt. The action was enjoyable.

I'm probably the only one who disagrees with you. I was bored to death until we exited GGO. :/ Didn't care about the new characters at all. Just happy to see the SAO gang. Well, the real girl who plays Sinon looks like she's got emotional baggage...so I guess I'm a little intrigued...

I'm glad that Kirito spoiler[is actually going to TALK to Asuna about his decision.] THIS. Okay, look, I know not everyone here cares about this pair but one thing you have to admire is that THEY COMMUNICATE. They always have! No playing stupid mind games with each other or keeping secrets to "protect" the other one. They're so honest with each other and lay everything out in the open and I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS AND OTHER COUPLES NEED TO FOLLOW THEIR EXAMPLE.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am getting interested, my two playstyles in these games are usually a stealthy assassin or a sniper (I am not that great with frontal dogfights). Also my accuracy is a bit subpar, I make up for it with good situational awareness, probably held back because I am still a lone gamer.

Yeah, I played a female sniper Commander Shepard in Mass Effect, and a female sniper in Defiance. Defiance is actually a very similar game to GGO, actually.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty cool. some strategizing, always nice to see.

Ohoni wrote:

Quote:

Protip: If you are going to get into rough and tumble fighting, choose a costume that doesn't force you to use your hands to keep your panties from showing.

He was wearing a pair of long pants, so. . .

he was referring to Silica
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
It seems that someone has gone to the effort of translating Reki Kawahara's twitter commentary for the first couple of episodes if anyone is interested:

Episode 1
Episode 2
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
It seems that someone has gone to the effort of translating Reki Kawahara's twitter commentary for the first couple of episodes if anyone is interested:

Episode 1
Episode 2

Schwarz-chan. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
Sinon certainly was lucky spoiler[in her encounter with that monster in the beginning that it wasn't especially interested in moving at all.] And I'm not sure why she gave up spoiler[her long range capability to rush closer to the mini-gun.]

Pretty good ep, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And I'm not sure why she gave up spoiler[her long range capability to rush closer to the mini-gun.]

Maybe spoiler[long range it would take too long to line up a shot so the enemy could dodge, she need to get them organized too.]
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
To me it looked like they can see the trajectory of the bullet after or very shortly before it is fired. They would have a second or two to evade a long-distance sniper shot if they knew that it's coming and where it is coming from.
Yarg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sinon certainly was lucky spoiler[in her encounter with that monster in the beginning that it wasn't especially interested in moving at all.] And I'm not sure why she gave up spoiler[her long range capability to rush closer to the mini-gun.]

Pretty good ep, though.

In the LN it was explained that spoiler[Sinon fell into the dungeon boss' room from a ridiculous number of floors above and fought the boss from an area that the boss could not reach. She basically exploited that fight - or as some would say cleverly used game mechanics >.> - and got a rare drop that's among the best weapons in game. If she were to sell it, it'd net her ~200,000 - 250,000 yen.]

She had to spoiler[rush into close range because bullet-line warnings makes it impossible to snipe once the enemy knows where you are, although she did get very lucky in that the minigun is terrible at shooting at an elevated angle, which is why she survived the jump to get close...and once you are that close most FPS would let you land a shot with a no-scope sniper rifle.]

Last edited by Yarg on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 115