• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: School Days Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think deconstructions have to be the most digestible types of narratives, but it depends on how you define "unwatchable". Decons are sometimes meant to be blistering and troublesome to take in for some of the impact I guess. Personally I couldn't come to terms with the ending of Now and Then, Here and There myself despite somewhat liking what the series did prior to the end, but I don't know if School Days has that same sentiment for people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm really curious to see if this will do better or worse than expected sales wise. It remained untouched for so long by so many North American publishers despite its (seemingly) strong fan base. I hope it does well for Eastern Star. I hate it when a company takes a chance with a risky title because people say that they will buy it and then fail to follow through.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I think deconstruction credits School Days with more ambition than it actually has. I see it simply as a spoof on the harem genre done with a straight-faced nudge nudge wink wink. That the series would come to a delirious, unhinged end was fully expected from the start, mostly because of its reputation but also the kiss scene at the end of the first episoded told me from the get go that the normal harem rules were going to be trashed. In a spoof character analysis comes a distant second to convention trashing.

I rated it as good. The tedium of the first six episodes counts against the inspiration of the last six. I dislike harem shows as a rule so I appreciated the shellacking School Days gives to the genre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I think deconstruction credits School Days with more ambition than it actually has. I see it simply as a spoof on the harem genre done with a straight-faced nudge nudge wink wink. That the series would come to a delirious, unhinged end was fully expected from the start, mostly because of its reputation but also the kiss scene at the end of the first episoded told me from the get go that the normal harem rules were going to be trashed.
That, and the fact that the "Bad Endings" from the H Game the anime was based on were already known for being infamously brutal.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I've heard it has a pretty nice boat. Wink
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
After always being on the fence as to whether or not I would set out to watch this series, the review has me finally making a decision. I won't be watching it.

I've never really been into deconstruction. That's not to say I haven't checked things out that are considered "deconstructors". Hmm, comics would be the entertainment medium that I have experienced more "deconstruction" than movies/TV.

One movie I can think of is JCVD...Van Damme deconstructing himself.

Marvels would probably be the only deconstruction comic I've actually finished. Watchmen... is the comic book deconstruction, but that is sitting there collecting dust (I did start it) while I read other comics/novels/manga. Planetary is another, and I own it all in trades...but it remains untouched. I'm horrible... Laughing

Have seen mentions (one is here) that Toradora deconstructs tsuns...would have to give that another re-watch though. Laughing

The deconstruction I love is Firefly. And, it's done with likeable characters.

Seems like I wouldn't enjoy School Days, as I can rarely consume any entertainment medium that consists of an unlikeable/abusive cast.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
errinundra wrote:
I think deconstruction credits School Days with more ambition than it actually has. I see it simply as a spoof on the harem genre done with a straight-faced nudge nudge wink wink. That the series would come to a delirious, unhinged end was fully expected from the start, mostly because of its reputation but also the kiss scene at the end of the first episoded told me from the get go that the normal harem rules were going to be trashed.
That, and the fact that the "Bad Endings" from the H Game the anime was based on were already known for being infamously brutal.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the initial release of the game was bugged so that only bad endings were possible, which is even more outrageous, but I can't find anything about when I took a quick look so maybe I'm wrong.
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not afraid to say it, School Days, hands down, my favorite anime. This series had romance/slice of life that deconstructed the harem genre physiologically. I actually liked the characters because of how they progressed the story, word gets to one, that spreads out and creates more of a mess. I can't hate on Makoto, everyone always says they would date every girl, even though harsh, this dude bangs every girl. Sekai was who set everything in motion and did a good job keeping the drama going. Katsura, one of the most innocent girls I've seen in anime, she f*cking blew my heart away at the end of episode 11, and that fact that she evolved into a yandere just made me fall head over heels in love with her. I like most of the tracts from the show and loved how some were from the original VN. This series had BALLS to end the series with one of the bad end routes which I thought was better then forcing a happy end up to that point. I love School Days more than the 80+ anime I've watched over the years, and if ever, by a 0% chance they were to animate one of the sequels (preferably Cross Days), I would gladly shave off my long hair Cool
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I always recommend School Days to people. Always. That awesome ending is priceless, lmao!
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
If you're wondering whether you should watch School Days, I'd highly recommend that you do! Forget everyones opinion is 12 episodes (roughly 4 hours) watch it and make your own damn mind. I loved it! The ending... Oh God... The ending was so rewarding that I hated myself for loving it! That speaks volumes because this isn't your typical harem anime, this is closer to real life and if you ever when to High School, you'd know that this shit happens more times than not. Further, there have numerous times were a love triangle led spoiler[to murder.]

This review among many other is the reason I trust animenewsnetwork and its reviewers. I can't believe so many people hate School Days and that they hate it for the wrong reasons. I can tell you that the only thing that I hate about SD was the art and OP song. You'd think that as the series progresses and gets darker they might change the OP song but nope they left it and it really seemed out of place.

Every single character was both great and horrible because they were so real so human they were all so selfish and back stab each other when it was possible. Obviously, I agree that Kotonoha was the only victim and you know that when you put a person in a corner only two things can happen: fight or flight. I actually hate that I love how well written Makoto was. Makoto starts with good intentions (likes Kotonoha) then gets seduced by Sekai and at that point if you're willing to cheat once you'll probably cheat again in the future so I wasn't surprised with everything he did plus the guy is supposed to be like 15-17 years old, has proven to be an asshole and a bunch of chicks are willing to go all the way with him. What the hell do you think that he'd do? I saw that shit in High School so many times. It even happened to me. Of course, I wasn't a dick like Makoto and didn't go around but if I'm been honest with you all I kinda wanted to because as a high school guy there's nothing greater (HS "top dog" status) than been with a bunch of girls. Makoto really feared having responsibilities so when Sekai told him that spoiler[she was pregnant I wasn't surprised that he wanted to dump her. What else did anyone expect? And, of course since Kotonoha was still willing to take him back (because there are idiots like this that get screw and still think that people will change [I used to be this way until I got burn]) he rushed to her and tried to brake it off with Sekai.]

I watched the series without any bias or letting anyone spoil it for me (I hate the idiots that think spoiling things for other people is "cool") and I spend the whole night watching it. From 12am to 5:30 in the morning and I was both so sickened by it but so glad that I was able to watch and enjoy it. What I took from this series is that all these character can be used to teach or High School selfs a lesson and while I'm no longer in high school I do not people that are in it and try to advice them so that they can have a more enjoyable HS life instead of the clusterfuck that was School Days and that is great because it can help a person understand without having "the talk" with parents (which most of us hate or never had to begin with) about sex, friends, relationships and what not that kids have to deal with.

I'd like to thank Theoron for providing an excellent review. I have had the chance to read most of your reviews since I joined ANN and with this review you have certainly won a fan. When are you reviewing High School DxD new? I'm pretty sure this time around you'll give it more than a B!
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
If you're wondering whether you should watch School Days, I'd highly recommend that you do! Forget everyones opinion...

Something doesn't seem right here...

Chichiryuutei wrote:
I'd highly recommend that you do! Forget everyones opinion...
Chichiryuutei wrote:
I...recommend...Forget everyones opinion...

I'm drawing a blank.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
it actually kind of fascinating how this is what would happen if a harem series had a protagonist who was far less selfless than usual. Itou is like what would happen if one of the wacky, perverted side characters or the "rival" character was the main focus in a harem series. He does everything the exact opposite of what a harem lead typically does; he's selfish, he's shallow, avoids responsibility for his actions every chance he gets, and he has no quirky charm to make up for that. He never learns anything from his actions andspoiler[he ends up paying for them in the biggest possible way due to his own disrespect for others' feelings and lives.]

Like I said, fascinating stuff as it runs counter to typical harem logic. I've always the genre name to be a bit funny because the point of a harem series is that the main character CAN'T have a harem; at the end of it all, they have to choose and someone's feelings going to get hurt. Itou tried to have a harem, but then reality smashed him in the face.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
This series was a chore for me to finish. But the ending was so worth it. The most screwed up ending I've seen. Twisted Evil
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
When are you reviewing High School DxD new? I'm pretty sure this time around you'll give it more than a B!

It's not due out from Funimation until early next year, so I'm afraid you'll have a bit of a wait. It's highly likely that I will be reviewing it when it does come out, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Anime-Planet lists Makoto Itou as the 13th-most-hated anime character, with 3,455 "hate" votes and 412 "love" votes. Many hated characters still have strong followings, though, so Makoto ranks fifth in "net hates" -- "hate" votes minus "love" votes -- after Shou Tucker, Nina Einstein, Koichi Shido, and Danzou Shimura.

Given that 3/4 characters ahead of Makoto on the "net hates" list are from massively more popular franchises, that ranking is quite an accomplishment.

No kidding. especially considering he beat in that ranking nina who is considered the most disliked men hating lesbian in any series. though i was surprised that koroko shirai wasnt on that list cause she is just as disliked than nina.

However there is a reason why he is disliked. but also a reason why some people like the guy cause he's the complete opposite of other male protagonists from any other known harem series.

Too bad it didn't get an english dub though. i definitely would have enjoyed that.

though the curious thing is that does the ero game and novel have the same ending? considering that shuffle's ero game and novel had a different ending than the TV anime as well as Fate Stay Night & Sister Princess (which have proven that some ero games and novels can make decent non ero TV series without over the top fanservice) , it might be possible in this series as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5