• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo ESP (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was surprised by how this episode went. I read the manga so it appeared as if the show was deviating form the source material but it doesn't seem to do that. Instead it adds scenes that the manga doesn't have (i.e. Kagura and Yomi greeting each other in the beginning). I'm usually against shows deviating from their original source (unless I think it's better) but I like how this adds more to the manga.

In addition, seeing Kagura and Yomi was definitely a treat. Also those orange jumpsuit guys from Ga-Rei-Zero, too. I wonder how the anime will go about developing this.
lightspeed1212

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
20 seconds into this series I was unsuspecting and had no prior knowledge of what it was about or who the author was: I nearly lost my cool. spoiler[ when i saw kagura and yomi talking then a few min later their normal orange suite counterparts and the small girl commander behind the huge screen monitoring the whole thing my pants got tight with excitement. Genital jokes aside i am a huge fan of the gai rei zero series and this made my entire season for me.] Not since fate zero has a first episode had me so excited about something.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I think it's fair to say that the Ga Rei cameos were just as an in-joke, since I don't see how the two series could possibly be canonically connected. They each end up disrupting the status quo in spectacular, but different fashions.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
That was a bit confusing, bit still fun to watch. Liked the action scenes. Looking forward to seeing the opening and ending themes next episode, since I love both Faylan and Yousei Teikoku's music.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
too Kagura and Yomi can't join the action because they are on a date.
Noctis313

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
the two female friends are IDENTICAL to the main characters of ga rei zero haha
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[This anime is never dull.
I like it how they opened both episodes with action scenes.
Why do the bad guy have those space suits?
It makes them look weird.
White haired girl (Rinka) made an appearance.
Guess it was time to see her story.
Rinka's dad, Rindou, looks very much like Wolverine, just older.
That guy with her was impressive too.
Guess he can teleport, just like Rinka can go through things & just like her dad is magnetic.
Could Azuma be the thief the police is after.
Looks like there is another... an invisible one.
A lot of things happened this time.
It was nice to see how it all began.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:
Decent episode. I really dig the OST and I'm glad they got to the main story parts now. Fan service was more than I had thought but at the same time, I wasn't surprised. We might also see the spoiler[full extent of Rinka's abilities later on.]

X-Men vibes are high though.

They also introduced the spoiler[flying penguin] which is like the mascot of the series. I found that to be cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
There was a line that effectively could have been translated to "with great power comes great responsibility".
Not sure if amused or rolling eyes.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I really liked first half, the quirkiness felt charming. All of the characters are entertaining to watch and even jokes are funny.It definitely follows standard superhero formula, but it adds it's own unique stamp to it.Second half half felt a bit rushed and anti-climatic but it was still amusing.It was a bad decision to step away from all of the ridiculousness of the first half, to a simple spoiler[ bank robbery in the second half.]
I feel like Tokyo ESP has qualities that a lot of modern superhero movies lack, it doesn't attempt to be grim dark,it just has fun with itself.That is why I liked the ending of episode, when Rinka summarizes moral of the day. Those simplistic moral lessons remind of loveable dorkiness old Batman TV series has( also, seeing how this lesson was given during spoiler[ bank robbery ] I think it might be a reference to that show) .
FenixFiesta wrote:
There was a line that effectively could have been translated to "with great power comes great responsibility".
Not sure if amused or rolling eyes.

The Amazing Spider-Man movies didn't include that line, so if Hollywood writers want to push away from that iconic line than please anime use it when you want to.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
The Amazing Spider-Man movies didn't include that line, so if Hollywood writers want to push away from that iconic line than please anime use it when you want to.

They're more than happy to.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

A positive episode, although if we are meant to believe these events are now flashback of the stuff we were seeing earlier, it is kind of confusing to include yet another flashback to explain those events.
A question, is her father's spoiler[power magnetism, because it looked like there were some non metallic items stuck to him in their apartment]?

So, was spoiler[Crow Head able to say that incredibly corny line with a straight face]? Regardless it was kind of cool.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
if it's not spoiler[magnetism... It could also be either controlling gravitons or (given how ripped her father is) controlling his mass distorting the gravity around him.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me what the point of the first episode was again? I mean they spent an entire episode having random people getting into random fights giving us no real explanation on who they were only to for some reason resort to a flashback telling us what happened prior to ESP even existing?

What's the point of that? It doesn't make for a good narrative setup imo. The first episode builds up the white haired girls return which means all the stuff leading up to that event is supposed to have some meaningful impact. But now that they've spoiled that part any sense of value is lost. It would have been better if they just started the series from here.

Though i suppose they wanted people to enticed using the hook "LOOK AT ALL THESE SUPERPOWERED PEOPLE FIGHTING EACH OTHER!".
Bleh.... Confused

Other than that……….eh this show is kind of dumb. But i suppose it doesn’t take itself that seriously so it’s whatever.

The spoiler[bank robbery] was especially ridiculous. I meanspoiler[ Rinka sunk in to stop Azuma but didn’t she ever think about what police were going to think if they caught her attempting to apprehend the culprit? They never saw her entering the building. So there would be a lot of suspicion of her if they broke in and saw her since she would have been illegally trespassing.] Plus wasn’t there be people RIGHT OUTSIDE the door? Your telling me they didn’t hear any of the noise being made in that room?spoiler[ Plus where the hell are the security cameras? If they were actually on I’m sure they would have alerted everyone. Security censors? Didn’t see any of that either.] To add to this silly scenario why does Rinka need to even worry about hand to hand combat? She spoiler[can pass through things. Her power is pretty much the same as Tobi’s from Naruto. Couldn’t she have just phased through all her attacks?] I don’t get it….

Furthermore I won’t know what to think if Azuma ACTUALLY gets spoiler[let off the hook by the police.] He leaves an spoiler[unconscious women who the police have never seen on a police car expecting them to suddenly believe him with no evidence when he was the ONLY one seen at the last crime scene? Not to mention her power is just going to let her escape pretty easily.] Just……….uh.

Anyway I really hope they explain that spoiler[goldfish thing] that is just casually spoiler[handing out super powers] otherwise I’ll have to chalk it up as being one of the laziest explanations for normal people acquiring power next to Magical Warfare.

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Crusher X303 wrote:
if it's not spoiler[magnetism... It could also be either controlling gravitons or (given how ripped her father is) controlling his mass distorting the gravity around him.]
Or maybe magic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10