• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony's Tokyo Office Offers Employees Early Retirement to Cut Costs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The simple truth is that the game market is migrating to mobile phones, desktop/laptop sales are shrinking each year and I think consoles sales are on the same track.
Also, Sony became a media company when they bought movie studios and missed the chance to jump into the mobile market (they stopped inovating, gone are the days they created products like the walkman).

So Sony will shrink (or maybe samsung will buy them as a trophy), the only reason microsoft is not doing the same is because this have this huge pile of cash kneaded in their days of glory
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
I mean can this guys raging fanboy boner against Sony be any more obvious.

Really? The PS1 and PS2 had a mostly shovelware library?

Please. ANN can we put this guy to rest finally?

Quote:
Sure PS1's library was larger, but it was inferior and un ingenuitive. PS1's library was mostly shovelware. Plus alot of its memberable titles like FFVII would have been better off on Nintendo 64
Um WTF are you talking about? PS1 has possibly the most imaginative Japanese games ever. There's nothing unimgantive about Un Jammer Lammy, Resident Evil, Koudleka, Persona, Vagrant Story, Persona, and so on. Many series that we all know and love got thier start on the system. And you want to sit here and tell us that looking back the PS1 has a shovelware library? Are you insane?

Quote:

Looking back, PS2 wasn't much better either, it was gimmicky and overrated and flimsy with even MORE shovelware
I guess that question was answered.

Quote:

If SCEI gets sold off, considering the fact that its the main reason why Japan has lost its midas touch in console game development and publishing and why stupid,gernic and bland garbage FPS crap like Call of Duty,Assassin's Creed, and Battlefield continue to sell and rake in revenue, I can't say I'll certainly miss them.
Yes it's all Sony's fault that the Japanese console scene is the way it is. All Sony's and not a whole lot of other things like the rise of phones, a changing society, and whatnot. All Sony.

And all those games you don't like are bad and generic.

God you are a joke.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:06 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Phantom Roxas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
@Phanton Roxas.

This is the Brand name referring to the Orbi Earth/BBC Earth:

http://trademarks.justia.com/855/17/orbi-85517235.html

Date Registered: September 3,2013.

This refers to everything you are describing in what Orbi is.

This is what I'm referring to:

http://trademarks.justia.com/855/17/orbi-85517210.html

Date Registered: November 26,2013.

"Orbi" is a Intent-To-Use multibrand service mark. ITU's are expensive Trademarks filed under the US Government that companies file when they want to claim full protection of the name from others and are claiming FULL use of all listed goods and services. The G&S are listed because the applicant plans to use the brand for all listed services over time. Everything I've stated is listed here in ORBI's brand which goes beyond what it seems. Because its fully registered, the brand can and will be used for anything anytime.

In regards to Nintendo and Panasonic, you do know that Nintendo only has $15 billion in market cap right? Which means any misstep would leave them vulnerable, Nintendo cannot survive on its own, and they themselves know that. They need a merger. People seem to think that Nintendo has enough money to buy SEGA, when SEGA is worth $32 billion. Nintendo has $44 billion in assets, but unprofitable business and no other business ventures outside of gaming and hanhelds can risk them losing everything .

As for the Sega Toshiba IB deal, I'm well versed in Intellectual Property, I'll explain later where I got it from regarding the WIPO application. (I'm at work right now.)

I was going to ask where that in any way hints at Toshiba's involvement, but fine, I guess I'll wait for you to enlighten me on your knowledge in Intellectual Property.

Nintendo have gone on for a long time without doing much beyond having their games, surviving even Sega and Sony, and they have that whole "quality of life thing", but let me see if I got this right: Nintendo has enough assets to buy Sega. That would put their assets at, using your numbers, $12 billion. Or do they have to use that market cap if they want to buy out Sega? In which case, such a thing would be impossible.

Oh, wait, hang on:

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ntdoy
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/sgamy

Nintendo's market cap: $17.14B
Sega Sammy's market cap: $5.15B

Yeah, sorry, but if you're going to make a big deal about how Nintendo's market cap is bad, Sega's is less than a third of Nintendo's according to that.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

When you look back now, the PSX is without a doubt the most overrated console of all time and its architecture is fairly supbar and lame when compared to SEGA Saturn and Nintendo 64 which have both aged gracefully. When you compare the 5th gen systems, PS1 lacked the quality control and noteworthy appeal of Saturn and N64. Sure PS1's library was larger, but it was inferior and un ingenuitive. PS1's library was mostly shovelware. Plus alot of its memberable titles like FFVII would have been better off on Nintendo 64(had Nintendo stuck with Super CD,Panasonic would have given them CDX for Ultra 64 hardware.)

Looking back, PS2 wasn't much better either, it was gimmicky and overrated and flimsy with even MORE shovelware, but Sony still had money and brand power, they used it to phase Dreamcast out (Dreamcast was financially cursed from GameWorks,LLC an investment from 1996 that went horribly awry) and let more coporate hacks like Microsoft jump in the business.

Thats a whole lot of buts

Final Fantasy VII would look great on the Nintendo 64 BUT since they used cartridges the game couldnt be made for the N64 because cartridges didn't allow for the multiple FMV it needed so Nintendo 64 lost a key partner to sony with Square making some of the best games for the console.

Sure Dreamcast was a good machine BUT it just couldnt compete with Sony's brand superiority as Sony crushed everyone as the PS2 became the best selling console of all times.

Lets be blunt why would Sega make a new console? The Wii U sales are terrible, Xbox One isnt doing so hot either, and the Japanese market is basically dead at this point as Japanese gaming has largely gone entirely mobile with no one really buying a dedicated gaming machine anymore.

Sega's game output has been terrible over the years, their best games dont leave Japan anymore and Sonic's best days are still the Genesis.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:41 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: 2 reports received. Post deleted for over-quoting, and user placed on Moderation for soapboxing about Sega. Further posts will have to be monitored for continued soapboxing behavior. -TK]
Buster D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
Not that anyone would know from the ANN report, but this news only affects Sony proper. These early retirements don't directly affect Sony Computer Entertainment, which is an entirely separate company.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This might be a stupid question, but why can't they just FIRE people to make the budget cuts? Why offer them early retirement at all?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:

This might be a stupid question, but why can't they just FIRE people to make the budget cuts? Why offer them early retirement at all?

J-companies don't like firing people for various reasons (if they don't like ya anymore, they'd just reassign ya to a pointless job with nothing to do until ya voluntarily quit). Plus early retirement keeps the harmony and some goodwill.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:

Too harsh and sudden, stuff like that shocks Japanese and it'd be some serious meiwaku/faux pas. Like the above poster said, if you won't leave, they'll demote you and humiliate you until you leave of your own accord.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:

J-companies don't like firing people for various reasons (if they don't like ya anymore, they'd just reassign ya to a pointless job with nothing to do until ya voluntarily quit). Plus early retirement keeps the harmony and some goodwill.

Hmmm...that's interesting. I knew there are some non-confrontational tendencies within that culture, but I had no idea it extended that deep. I'm curious how they get rid of foreign employees, since they probably don't have the requisite low tolerance for shame. I'm pretty sure most Americans would stick it out indefinitely as long as they keep drawing a paycheck.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
I'm curious how they get rid of foreign employees, since they probably don't have the requisite low tolerance for shame. I'm pretty sure most Americans would stick it out indefinitely as long as they keep drawing a paycheck.

Yeah, if you're not outright fired and you're just given menial or no tasks at all, that wouldn't be so bad. So I'm being disrespected, you're also paying me to nothing. That's like super-unemployment while you start looking and applying elsewhere.

Or maybe they do just outright fire you because you're not Japanese and they know shame doesn't carry the same way.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, if you're not outright fired and you're just given menial or no tasks at all, that wouldn't be so bad. So I'm being disrespected, you're also paying me to nothing. That's like super-unemployment while you start looking and applying elsewhere.

Or maybe they do just outright fire you because you're not Japanese and they know shame doesn't carry the same way.

This an interesting line of thought. The frustrating thing is that you could never get a Japanese business man to tell you how they would deal with firing a foreign employee, because it would be one of those "uncomfortable" things they just would never ever talk about.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
Seems like I was wrong:

Microsoft to Announce Job Cuts as Soon as This Week

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-15/microsoft-said-to-announce-job-cuts-as-soon-as-this-week.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3