• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chaika - The Coffin Princess season 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
I always interpreted that scene from Scrapped Princess as being a sign of romantic interest. But I don't really see it mentioned ever again really. Except maybe at one point in the last episode. But besides that, its never really expanded upon.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Felt like there was a scene in episode 7 of Scrapped Princess that didn't exactly have a sisterly tone to it. Laughing

Having reached the halfway point of Scrapped Princess, I have to disagree with some of this:
Quote:
While Chaika can be adorable, with her stilted speech pattern and cute way of reacting to things, she is not in Pacifica Casull's league as a character, nor is Toru quite the equal of his Scrapped Princess counterpart Shannon. Akari, contrarily, definitely has more personality than her counterpart Raquel ever did, and the recurring supporting cast generally comes off better despite some goofiness that would be more expected of a recent romcom.

*Sigh* This is going to be long...

Shannon is still the the protector and leader. He started as that, and remains that. Sure, he got a power up, but he hasn't changed one bit. Tooru has already developed more than that in my eyes, going from a guy with no purpose (not that he seemed to be looking for something) to finding a job worth doing and, in turn, someone worth protecting.

Tooru has kind of reached where Shannon had started as a character. Shannon started there and has remained there.

Raquel has undergone no development as she remains a smiling face that sometimes is useful with her use of magic. She seems to have little to no personality, much like Akari. Only difference is that instead of smiling, Akari expresses some anger and her desire to bone Tooru. Laughing

Chaika is ever the optimist, and is starting to feel a connection towards others. Pacifica has had moments where she does seem to mature only to end up regressing to a brat. It feels like she gets reset at the start of each story arc.

A couple of examples. Cz's intro arc. What happened before doesn't stop her acting childish when Cz first shows up and is attached at the hip with Shannon. She then grows to like Cz, Cz gets taken…the Browning arc starts and she whines about being cold and that her bags are heavy. Then acting like a kid when they first enter the restaurant. She knows the Mausers are after her, yet she wants to sit with a guy wearing Mausers garb.

Browning arc ends, Beast Princess arc comes around…first time Pacifica appears, she's whining. Feels like every arc starts with her acting like a kid again.

While I can understand that it is part of growing up and we all had moments when we are still maturing, it just comes off as character regression when it's how they start every arc. As if she has to learn something with each new group she encounters, but can only do so if she starts at the base of whining brat.

You'd think it would stop after seeing how other characters end up having to "cop it on the chin" in one way or another. It's as if Leo, Winnia, and Elfitine had no impact on her.

Pacifica's regression reminds me of Chaika's "wandering". Where Chaika is told not to go off on her own, she does and trouble follows. You'd think they'd learn, but they haven't up until the halfway point.

Changing track a bit here...but the sibling relationships aren't the best.

Pacifica and Raquel don't seem like siblings at all. To me, they seem to come off more mother-daughter. They never seem to have any sort of sibling argument. Pacifica does what Raquel asks.

Same could be said when it comes to Shannon and Raquel. She just goes along with whatever Shannon says (much like Tooru/Akari). Raquel may offer advice, but is usually just there to take orders.

The big difference between the two series is this:
Quote:
it simply cannot capture the poignancy of its title character's plight anywhere near as well.

Unless something is revealed in Chaika to up the stakes, it isn't close to Scrapped Princess'. There was Red Chaika who wanted to rebuild the Gaz Empire...but she never really seemed to be a threat.

Of course, at the end of this long post, I must say that I am enjoying Scrapped Princess a lot, even if the regression I've seen in Pacifica gets on my nerves.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Dang, was this a Scrapped Princess review or a Chaika review?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
With the similarities between the 2 series, I would say that there are comparisons to be made. Even if I don't totally agree with them.

Personally, I enjoyed the first half of Chaika more than Scrapped Princess. But, SP really takes off during the 2nd half, great stuff.

Hopefully, Chaika heads in the same kind of trajectory.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's totally reasonable to compare the two, but for basically the length of the review?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5