• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Gets New 2015 Film by Creator Toriyama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You might as well expect Oolong, Pu'er, and Gyuumao to do something, too.

Did Toriyama forget they existed as well?
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
You might as well expect Oolong, Pu'er, and Gyuumao to do something, too.

Did Toriyama forget they existed as well?

Poor Lunch.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
I almost feel sorry for Funimation's facebook and twitter feeds.

"Where's the new 2015 DBZ movie?!! When are you going to dub it?!!" Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Spaceman:
Quote:
I wonder how long Fox is gonna delay this one. Laughing

Technically, they released the last one everywhere else on time, except here. [I'm not sure why they couldn't have done it themselves, instead of going through FUNimation, but maybe they didn't like how the last theatrical attempt at N. American anime turned out with Totoro. Or Digimon.] But who knows if they still have the distribution rights to the new one? Assuming they paid for the rights to a trilogy of new ones they intended to do in live-action, like most studio adaptations, then yeah, they'll probably be handling this one, too.

Master: Actually, considering FUNi was dealing with a major studio, their turnaround was pretty fast, compared to the Eva Rebuild films.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Funimation panels for the next year or so are just going to be Chris Sabat angrily hurling half-empty whiskey bottles into the crowd.

"NO WE HAVEN'T DUBBED IT YET! THE JAPANESE DON'T EVEN HAVE IT YET, SO SHUT UP!" followed by sobbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Oh right!! The last one Battle of God wás great and since he will put all the effort into it and quote "utter funny" - It will probably be the biggest hit movie yet.

Just bring it,Toriyama!! Very Happy
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
I frankly don't know where this movie can go. After BoG conclusively showed that spoiler[beings even more insanely powerful than Goku exist and could destroy the universe but they simply don't want to, what's the thrill in seeing these characters engage anyone again?] DBZ rarely gets credit for making its fights at least a little bit more than about who has the craziest transformations, but those still played an integral part in how the fights escalated. Now that BoG throws water on that fire, I can't muster much excitement for this.

BoG seemed to me how Toriyama came to confront his limits both as an artist and a person. Through that prism I actually like the end quite a bit. This, on the other hand, has cashgrab written all over.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
As long as Toriyama is directly involved I'm interested, and it feels less like a milking and more of a revival. Might as well enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
Don't bullshit me, ANN.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
I don't even care if it's milking or not, more Dragon Ball is always welcome for me. I liked Battle of Gods a lot so I'm hoping for good stuff Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
I don't get something, people whine about Dragon Ball GT. I just read the summary of Battle of the Gods, and even the worst arc in GT doesn't come close to sounding that terrible.

Oh know DB GT had SS 4. That is a lot better than some nonsense about the Super Sayian God. I meaning reading the summary it sounds like a kid wrote the story. God wakes up, beats goku in one hit, goes to earth, gets angry over pudding or food?, smacks Bulma, fights Vegeta, all our hearts combine Super Sayian God mode, hah I am still strong, Goku loses, but the God has said, your efforts please me. Oh and my master is the strongest, later.

Terrible. I don't want to hear anyone complain about GT again after this movie.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't get something, people whine about Dragon Ball GT. I just read the summary of Battle of the Gods, and even the worst arc in GT doesn't come close to sounding that terrible.

Oh know DB GT had SS 4. That is a lot better than some nonsense about the Super Sayian God. I meaning reading the summary it sounds like a kid wrote the story. God wakes up, beats goku in one hit, goes to earth, gets angry over pudding or food?, smacks Bulma, fights Vegeta, all our hearts combine Super Sayian God mode, hah I am still strong, Goku loses, but the God has said, your efforts please me. Oh and my master is the strongest, later.

Of course your description makes it sound stupid, but this is a movie, confined to 90 mins, not an anime arc that usually spans at least 26 episodes.
If you actually watch this movie instead of just reading a brief description, you will see it captures the essence of what made DBZ the hit it was.
Another movie is more than welcome.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
"Nothing ever dies, we will rise again!" - Lyrics from Dragon Ball Kai opening theme and also an appropriate description of the franchise as a whole. Wink

In all seriousness, bring on a sequel to Battle Of Gods! Very Happy
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

As someone who has ACTUALLY seen the film...you're so wrong.

The film is 10x better than GT. GT was disgustingly bad at times.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd probably enjoy it more than Battle of the Gods if it gives Bulma and 18 at least something to do.

Yes please, at the very least let #18 go Super (like her brother did in the non-cannon GT) *drool*

Last edited by mangamuscle on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4