• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Watch Hatsune Miku Sing Frozen's "Let It Go"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Screw that, I want Disney to do another 2D movie. Princess and the Frog was awesome.

I liked it a lot too, but it didn't do well enough, and 2011 Pooh probably didn't even make its money back. Pretty sure 2D from Hollywood is dead and never coming back. Even if they wanted to bring it back sometime in the future, they're not going to have the talent available, unless you want a bunch of CalArts Noodlepeople.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Screw that, I want Disney to do another 2D movie. Princess and the Frog was awesome.

I liked it a lot too, but it didn't do well enough, and 2011 Pooh probably didn't even make its money back.

Because people who keep complaining that N. America doesn't do anymore traditional animated films then don't go to see those films when they're available.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Because people who keep complaining that N. America doesn't do anymore traditional animated films then don't go to see those films when they're available.

Even if literally every single one of those people had gone and seen the movies multiple times, you'd need to convince the movie-going audience at large to care, which they didn't. It's not a case of "we can make a difference" it's "how do you force midwesterners to see a film about a black NO girl that's all about jazz, and she's a frog for 80% of the movie."
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Even if literally every single one of those people had gone and seen the movies multiple times, you'd need to convince the movie-going audience at large to care, which they didn't. It's not a case of "we can make a difference" it's "how do you force midwesterners to see a film about a black NO girl that's all about jazz, and she's a frog for 80% of the movie."

Hey, we THOUGHT Avatar would flop. So did every studio. Admit it. I'll wager half the opening-night audience went there to watch the "train wreck".
(Then again, the fact that the last two weeks in December were taken up meant that Princess had to take the "Weekend of Death", which has sunk some of the most expensive December flops in history.)

And then, of course, Frog was so socially agenda-laden, they had to emphasize the point with comedy so low it was hard to believe this was a John Musker & Ron Clements film--Making Hercules look urbane, witty and story-focused by comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2