• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Again: we are finished with the gun discussion.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! Let's get back to the deep meaningful discussions of diverse topics like: "Why are there no penises in my swimming anime?"
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Sooooo . . . too bad Nobunaga Concerto just missed out on getting a preview. It was an uneven but interesting episode.

誤称 wrote:
Yeah! Let's get back to the deep meaningful discussions of diverse topics like: "Why are there no penises in my swimming anime?"

Well la-dee-dah, we don't need no highbrow topics 'round here, partner.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Sooooo . . . too bad Nobunaga Concerto just missed out on getting a preview. It was an uneven but interesting episode.

誤称 wrote:

Well la-dee-dah, we don't need no highbrow topics 'round here, partner.

I had a lot of other work to do today, they're going up now. Patience, my son.

誤称 I would love to hear your opinion on swimming anime penises.

EDIT: Nobunaga Concerto previews are up now and the guide is concluded with that. No survey since it's the end anyway.

Last edited by Zac on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
That's easy. Cause they weren't boys, but girls with very male like physiques anyone could see that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
The story makes up for that, though, by showing Kinoshita behaving very naturally comfortably on his “dates” with Kichou and by showing that he can be clever when he wants to be.

As I said before, I like his street smarts. He's incredibly dumb when it comes to academics, but he's perceptive, resourceful and cunning. He also has the charm and force of will needed to become a strong leader, so it isn't too much of a stretch to think that he could take the mantle of the "real" Nobunaga.
Stall_19

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

EDIT: Nobunaga Concerto previews are up now and the guide is concluded with that. No survey since it's the end anyway.

I would request that you wait for Barakamon as I've heard it's very good but who knows when the hell Funimation is going put that up for steaming.

I know a monopoly is generally a bad thing overall but I kinda wish Crunchyroll had a monopoly in steaming new anime as it's far, far superior than what Funimation is putting out.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

誤称 I would love to hear your opinion on swimming anime penises.

Well, I'm not 誤称, and I'm not watching the swimming anime, but I do have something to say about anime penises.

I posted a little about this earlier, but since it's come up again I'll talk about it again:

I was a little annoyed in Glasslip when the main character imagined the Michelangelo David statue, and it was shown without a penis.

It bugged me because for one, the character imagining it is a heterosexual 18 year old girl, and I'm pretty sure you can bet that she'd think about the penis on a male statue. It's like implicitly minimizing her sexuality or something, or saying she doesn't like to think about penises (I know the real reason it wasn't shown was censorship, but then again to my knowledge it doesn't really count for statues evidenced here. Correct me if that's not the TV broadcast or is a movie or something (I don't know what it is)).

Even the sexuality of the character stuff aside, that's not an accurate representation of the statue either, because in real life, David got a dong. I'm sure anyone who saw the statue would imagine it with the penis because, well, there it is.

It's not really a big deal, but as a general statement I wish that people would grow up and stop being offended by seeing penises. And stuff like this is a reminder that we haven't gotten there yet.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
I would request that you wait for Barakamon as I've heard it's very good but who knows when the hell Funimation is going put that up for steaming.

But that's the problem, isn't it? If Funi hasn't even listed it yet then it might be weeks before they finally do, and the Guide isn't that open-ended.

If the series does eventually stream properly then there's a high chance that it will get a proper review at the end of the season, if not sooner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling you guys don't get this nearly enough, but thank you all for the great reads. As someone who gets almost as much pleasure from reading about anime in comparison to watching it, it's been a pleasure reading your opinions.

So uh, thanks, thanks for being cool guys.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Good point, Hellwarden. The Preview Guide is a big undertaking and to me its one of my favourite ANN editorial features. It's great being able to vector a preview from multiple perspectives. Thanks to all the ANN Staff who participate in it!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Nozaki-kun, Sabagebu, Barakamon, and Yama no Susume S2 are my favorites for this season. Everything else I've tried has been decent at least. Thanks for an informative preview guide once again as well as some entertaining discussion as always.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Apparently I'm in the minority, but I really liked the first ep of Nobunaga, animation, character design and all (but then, I liked Kingdom too after awhile, so maybe my senses have been dulled). There were parts that made me feel like I was watching a live action piece, so I'm thinking the rotoscoping they planned to do happened, in some form or another.

I think my only complaint was his mad equestrian skillz, but the lack of bothering to explain the time slip wasn't a big deal to me, any more than it was with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Jumping off a fence seems as reasonable a means of time travel as getting bonked on the head, and I'd just as soon get the trip out of the way and forget it than dwell on the details of it.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Carl, Hope, Theron, Rebecca, Zac, and Bamboo for your work, it's been a pleasure to read about the garbage without having to weather it. Your preview reviews help keep me aware of what shows and trends are out there and let me know which shows are noteworthy or otherwise worth checking out. It's great having one organized place to find all that content, so I'm very pleased you all put the effort in.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Sword Art Online II: Dear lord, it's WORSE then the first season. Also, Kirito is now a girl in this new game. Godlike OST, horrible directing and pacing. The plot is also pathetic. I haven't even read the novels and I already know how the masked guy is killing people. 3: Kaleid Prisma 2wei, Barakamon, Zankyou No Terror.

Nothing wrong with having a female avatar. Use them in several games like Diablo and Torchlight. Godlike OST sounds pretty good.
I watched the first episode and it was all right, but shows don't live or die for me by just the first episode, unless they are truly horrible

I'm surprised that there is someone that actually disliked the aincrad arc. especially considering how many people have thrashed the fairy dance arc mainly cause of the possible hook up between the cousins/siblings.

and not to mentioned people considered the phantom bullet arc which SAO II is based of is considered the best of the novels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 50 of 51