• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: School Days Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I loved School Days. It was executed with such contempt for the genre, it's really something to behold.

Whilst it's a shame it's not included, I don't think missing the Valentine Days OVA is much of a loss. The magical girl OVA is the one to keep.

I think the Valentine Days OVA only came as an extra for a Playstation game, I think..or something
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
consignia wrote:
I loved School Days. It was executed with such contempt for the genre, it's really something to behold.

Whilst it's a shame it's not included, I don't think missing the Valentine Days OVA is much of a loss. The magical girl OVA is the one to keep.

I think the Valentine Days OVA only came as an extra for a Playstation game, I think..or something

You would be correct it came bundled version school days lxh. The valentines day ova was put out by a different company and would have cost more to license.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Truth be told, even though I cam empathize with Kotonoha as far as the bullying aspect to an extent, even as fragile as she was as a result, I'm hard pressed to view her (completely) as an innocent victim. While the fact that she was pushed to the breaking point is legitimate, that hardly excuses the fact that spoiler[in the end, she not only mutilated her boyfriend's dead body, but (possibly) committed double homicide when she murdered Sekai. I say "possibly" because it was never firmly established that she WAS pregnant. Based on what was shown, she threw up in the sink ONCE in the morning and assumed from that alone that she was pregnant. There was no indication that she took a self test to double check, and even Makoto wanted confirmation, right before he heartlessly urged Sekai to terminate the pregnancy, which led to her killing him, which in turn precipitated her own death and mutilation at the hands of Kotonoha].
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
dudebro wrote:
It's a mistake to think that something must be "realistic" because it's dark and violent. Reality tends to be banal, so relationship drama doesn't tend to involve rape, double homicide, decapitation and mutilation. White Album 2 is a much more accurate representation of reality.

The touch of realism doesn't come from the dark and violent part, it stems from the fact that teenager want to have sex (both girls and boys) and that sex can have consequence that teenager are absolutely not equipped to handle. Both of which are fact that harem ignore and both are fact that tremendously affect love and relationship.

I did try watching white album 2, but man was it boring, I did hear that it eventually try some different stuff, but I couldn't sit trough more than 5 episode of the most mundane harem ever, at least SD tell you very quickly that it's doing things differently (same for Madoka to a certain extent, the witch world aesthetic clue you in right away, and episode 3 make sure you understand it quite well).
dudebro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Basic selfishness does not equate to psychopathy. That's an extreme beyond what we see in this series.

If you are so concerned with reality, then why deny the reality of the characters? One of them is even a rapist, which is as psychopathic as you can get. Psychopaths aren't that uncommon in real life either.

meiam wrote:
The touch of realism doesn't come from the dark and violent part, it stems from the fact that teenager want to have sex (both girls and boys) and that sex can have consequence that teenager are absolutely not equipped to handle. Both of which are fact that harem ignore and both are fact that tremendously affect love and relationship.

Characters don't even have sex in harem shows. They aren't realistic, nobody thinks they're realistic, and nobody particularly wants them to be.

Quote:
I did try watching white album 2, but man was it boring...

It's "boring" in the same way that most relationship dramas are. Like I said, reality tends to be banal. It usually isn't a series of highly dramatic and unusual incidents.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Anime-Planet lists Makoto Itou as the 13th-most-hated anime character, with 3,455 "hate" votes and 412 "love" votes. Many hated characters still have strong followings, though, so Makoto ranks fifth in "net hates" -- "hate" votes minus "love" votes -- after Shou Tucker, Nina Einstein, Koichi Shido, and Danzou Shimura.

Given that 3/4 characters ahead of Makoto on the "net hates" list are from massively more popular franchises, that ranking is quite an accomplishment.

Arguably, all four. Highschool of the Dead is no slouch either, at least compared to School Days.

jr0904 wrote:
though i was surprised that koroko shirai wasnt on that list cause she is just as disliked than nina.

Oh, not at all! Kuroko's "love" votes exceed her "hate" votes by nearly 1,500. In fact, among all anime characters on the site, she places more than 200 places higher on the "love" rankings than the "hate" rankings -- #411 vs. #685.

(Anime-Planet users vote "love" in general more often than "hate". That's why Orihime Inoue has slightly more "love" votes, but ranks #11 on "hate" and #127 on "love", while Naruto Uzumaki has twice as many "love" votes and only ranks two places higher on that list -- #14 vs. #16.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Kuroko is badass in the animation. Where does this hate for her supposedly come from?

for being one of those annoying men hating lesbian types. its cause of her antics that is both a blessing cause it prevents both index and railgun from being boring , but also annoying cause she is always there the minute there is a sense of a possible romantic connection with mikoto and touma.

However when it comes to lesbians that people loved to hate, she will never the psycho bitch Nina. that became very certain.

OH&S wrote:

I'm not sure that its Shirai Kuroko that they hate. Rather its the anime's adaptation of her character that's horrendous by portraying her like that. In the original, she was much more likable and made up for her annoyances by being a good and badass character as well as being absent from the main plot. But I digress.

Unfortunately your half wrong about that. for one thing she is exactly the same in both the anime and manga version. she dislikes touma and any men that might want to have a connection with mikoto.

also the only thing they disliked on the anime version was kuroko called her "sissy" instead of "oni-chan". which unfortunately was a necessary evil cause there are some series where using honorifics wouldnt work or sound right and both toaru series are one of them.

meiam wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
though the curious thing is that does the ero game and novel have the same ending? considering that shuffle's ero game and novel had a different ending than the TV anime as well as Fate Stay Night & Sister Princess (which have proven that some ero games and novels can make decent non ero TV series without over the top fanservice) , it might be possible in this series as well.

If I remember well, the game had a bunch of different bad ending with one of them very similar.

The suicide ending was particularly brutal, check it out on youtube if anyone is interested. The wall of text after the ending were also pretty hilarious.

that ending would have been more controversial than the current one. however dont be surprised that they do a FSN and make OVA or ONAs of this series where they use the different paths for those endings.

However just like how they used that ending, they could have also went the usual harem method and left things unresolved or have its ending ala shuffle memories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I did try watching white album 2, but man was it boring, I did hear that it eventually try some different stuff, but I couldn't sit trough more than 5 episode of the most mundane harem ever

There is no harem in White Album 2 whatsoever. It's a love triangle where the love part doesn't even come in effect until the second half. It's all subtle buildup until that.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Must admit, I've not seen a ton of harems...but I've seen a good number. Can't remember one that had the MC bedding multiple (or any) of the girls.

I think the fact that most harems ignore is that not that many females/males would actually be romantically interested in the bland MC. Laughing

meiam wrote:
I did try watching white album 2, but man was it boring, I did hear that it eventually try some different stuff, but I couldn't sit trough more than 5 episode of the most mundane harem ever, at least SD tell you very quickly that it's doing things differently (same for Madoka to a certain extent, the witch world aesthetic clue you in right away, and episode 3 make sure you understand it quite well).

Hmm, best way to describe that one would be "indie movie love-triangle". I found that it was a bit predictable and we didn't get the "hollywood" ending. I've seen quite a few indie movies that involve romance ending the way WA2 did.

Though, the fact that spoiler[one of the girls starts dating the guy, while knowing full well the other girl and the guy were actually falling in love...and that she confessed (but never loved him) because she thought they'd leave her behind] and then is easily forgiven for it was a hard pill to swallow.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Must admit, I've not seen a ton of harems...but I've seen a good number. Can't remember one that had the MC bedding multiple (or any) of the girls.
I can think of a few, not that I'd name them in mixed company. Wink
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
Great review with a thorough analysis!

I’m still pondering about one thing: Did Makoto deserve his fate or not?
Initially the ending was one of the most satisfying experiences after building up an immense rage during 12 episodes, but when put in perspective, I’d have to say he didn’t deserve this. We’re not talking about a hardened criminal (none of Makoto’s morally reprehensible actions are even jail-time worthy), we’re talking about a normal boy who makes mistakes due to his indecisive, cowardly nature. Someone who doesn’t realize (or doesn’t want to realize) the consequences of his actions. A person who, like many of us, only want to enjoy pleasures and avoid burdens. If only he had more experience or a parental guide.
So I feel that Makoto’s punishment is far worse than all of his committed “crimes”.

I don't think he deserves death, but the way I think about him is similar to the main character in the movie Menace II Society who gets gunned down and says something along the lines of, "I thought someone would come at me, but I didn't think they'd come like this."

Makoto didn't deserve death but he did a lot of dirt. I can chalk a lot of it up to him being a stupid high school kid but all of it was legit jerk stuff and the pregnancy thing was super scummy, although not unrealistic imo. Karma piles up and you never know whether it's simply adding or multiplying. In his case it was multiplying. He didn't deserve execution but I can understand how it happened.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
I can think of a few, not that I'd name them in mixed company. Wink

Would those be hentai? Laughing

And with all this talk of the actions undertaken by a bunch of teens...were the parent(s) of any character involved? Would think that some adult intervention may've been beneficial. Laughing
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What about everything else about how the characters act? Exclude the last 10 minutes of the series and I've known people who have acted like the people shown here IRL.

So no, we don't have to "equate ugliness with profundity and truth" for this to be realistic. Just the basic way the characters behave here is generally more realistic than what most harem series show.

Man, I must be near the epic center of the most emotionally unstable juvenile (high school days I'm in my mid 20s now) part of the US when I see some of the comments posted before. I totally agree with Key as I saw this type of characters in my high school all 4 years. There were girls that wanted to experiment, shy girls with boyfriends that cheated on them, girls that seduced other guys and guys that just took advantage of every girl that was in the market.

Just 5 miles away from my school, at our "rival" high school there was a guy that was stabbed because he was part of a love triangle. That shit made the news in Miami, FL. I think the guy survive but to say that School Days just animated the extremes of high school day/love life is ludicrous! Either that or your part of the country is completely sane and mature and was able to move on from heart break without feeling anything (I achieve that level senior year). Now, I'm pretty sure that maybe my high school days were an outlier in regular life but you don't get to make "quantization error" on my experiences!

meiam wrote:

I don't understand why people stop watching short (12-13 eps) series. In my book, White Album 2 was the anime of 2013. You need to watch it all and as someone mentioned previously it isn't a harem anime it's a love triangle anime. Am I the only one in the anime world that goes into each series without bias or comparing it to anything I have seen previously until I complete a run? I might be crazy or just a little out of the norm but you need to watch White Album 2 in its entirety! I won't discuss it because I start getting emotional I still can't believe everything that happened. That last episode was a 10/10 for a 9.7/10 series on my book. White Album 2 is behind Steins;Gate and Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood in my book!

Which reminds me? Key/Theron thanks for answering my question about DxD New's review? Any chance you'll be reviewing White Album 2? I know Rebecca did a review for the first 6 eps but c'mon that was just the beginning!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first season of White Album faithfully. Lost interest in the second season after the first episode and never got around to finishing it. I've heard enough good things about it that I might get around to finishing it eventually, but I only have two weeks of summer break left and some other viewing priorities already set for that time, so who knows when that will be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
I don't understand why people stop watching short (12-13 eps) series. In my book, White Album 2 was the anime of 2013. You need to watch it all and as someone mentioned previously it isn't a harem anime it's a love triangle anime. Am I the only one in the anime world that goes into each series without bias or comparing it to anything I have seen previously until I complete a run? I might be crazy or just a little out of the norm but you need to watch White Album 2 in its entirety! I won't discuss it because I start getting emotional I still can't believe everything that happened. That last episode was a 10/10 for a 9.7/10 series on my book. White Album 2 is behind Steins;Gate and Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood in my book!

I'm not comparing it to anything, in fact the only reason I picked it up is because people said it wasn't like most harem/love story (any show were the incredibly boring main character somehow charm two girl without trying is an harem show in my book), but after 5 episode of absolutely nothing interesting happening I just couldn't keep watching, like I said both SD and madoka made sure watcher knew some interesting stuff was coming up quickly, WA2 kinda showed hint that maybe orange hair girl had some trauma in her past, but after 5 episode it was still just mundane stuff, him learning very mundane guitar riff and all that, I just didn't see the point of it over the thousands of other romance/harem show. It didn't have humor, didn't have drama, didn't even have much music, it had… mundane teenager dialogue. The closest thing it had was that the spoiler[other girl found a toothbrush in the black haired girl bathroom, which she somehow immediately realized that it was because the guy was sleeping there…somehow.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5