• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I know it's aimed at guys...but I cannot fathom why.... o_O

It has a female protagonist who wears Minnie mouse bows, who wants senpai to notice her, with presumably hot guys and shoujo themes. I too can't see how this would be something aimed at guys more than gals.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...with presumably hot guys and shoujo themes.

Both of which appeal to women more than to men.

As someone already pointed out, this is basically a parody of shoujo romance shows but it also happens to be a shoujo romance show in its own right.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
The author herself has mostly done shoujo projects before this, and despite where its being published, it still comes off as much more a shoujo anime to me. I guess this is one of those cases where trying to classify something as shonen/shoujo/etc because of the demographic of where its published is pretty arbitrary. It simply is what it is.

As for the first episode, I really really enjoyed it. It actually made me laugh out loud a few times. I didn't really have much expectations but it certainly is a special surprise. My only concern is if this has enough steam to stretch out for several episodes without getting boring or repetitive. Hoping they can keep up the momentum, Im definitely sticking with it for now though
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

spoiler[Seo] is so awesome. Her denseness at basically ...common sense is just amusing to watch. Anyways, I expect more from her later on in the series but the comedy is great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode. I loved that we got to see some of Nozaki's thoughts, since episode one was basically all from Chiyo's perspective.

Mikoshiba being spoiler[the basis for Nozaki's manga's heroine] and Seo being spoiler[the inspiration for a new, obnoxious male character] was hilarious. How one person can be so completely oblivious to themselves...that was something to behold.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
New characters are always interesting.
spoiler[Mikoto] makes an appearance.
spoiler[I like his hair color, but his personality is special ^^"]
Well, at least he made things even more fun.
So he spoiler[pretends to be a player, but is actually shy.]
Sakura tried her best again.
Havin to deal with spoiler[Mikoto] didn't make things easier..
spoiler[A new female character, Yuzuki,] showed her personality as well.
spoiler[She and Mikoto] should totally switch roles LOL
I like both of them though! ^^
At least Nozaki managed to experience something different.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Laughing Definitely did not disappoint, actually kind of surprised me a bit. I expected to totally hate Mikoshiba, but he turned out awesome by getting spoiler[embarrassed from his own "player" lines, and being totally tsundere in his line about not wanting to help, he super did]. Seeing Nozaki turn his character spoiler[into a heroine] was icing on the cake, Sakura's reactions to him were very funny. And as for Seo, not only was she the super active sports type girl, but spoiler[she is so obnoxious and or oblivious of herself that she has none of the good will associated with that character type]. And we had Nozaki's reactions to her as a balance to Sakura's earlier ones. And any character played by Miyuki Sawashiro automatically earns points.

She actually thinks that she is the type that she should be. I think what makes these two so funny is that they hugely play off of expectations. I just laughed at every turn with them. And I think that Sakura and Nozaki's reactions to them are top notch, Nozaki is still a bit on the plain side, Sakura's change at every turn is great.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Gahhh, it was too funny. Cannot scratch this off my to watch list Wink. I liked how they go just a step further every time with a joke or situation, so it doesn't feel cliche. The show mocks cliches instead. I wonder why Sakura sees sports girl like a friend, we didn't really see them interact did we?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Some site I was reading uploaded pictures of Tomoko from Watamote reading this anime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
The expressions in this show continue to be fantastic, and the humour is top notch. Plus this episode we got one of Miyuki Sawashiro's usual spirited performances.

Easily one of the season's best shows.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Some site I was reading uploaded pictures of Tomoko from Watamote reading this anime.

Hey, that's pretty neat. Doing a comparison between the two, both shows were produced by Sony, had music done by Media Factory and have Yūichi Nakamura in lead male roles. So it shouldn't be too surprising, but nevertheless it's still cool that Watamote gave multiple shout-outs to this show.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah and I believe that they both run in Gangan Comics.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Watamote, Nozaki-kun, and Barakamon (shown in the third image) all are 'serialized' in GanGan Online. Other popular series from GanGan Online include Daily Life of High School Boys and unpopular series that received an anime adaptation include Kitakubu (or Going Home Club I think was its English name)
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
The author herself has mostly done shoujo projects before this, and despite where its being published, it still comes off as much more a shoujo anime to me. I guess this is one of those cases where trying to classify something as shonen/shoujo/etc because of the demographic of where its published is pretty arbitrary. It simply is what it is.

This. Some manga are just more popular with girls even if they published on a shonen magazine. Even for Shonen Jump manga.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Yes. Watamote, Nozaki-kun, and Barakamon (shown in the third image) all are 'serialized' in GanGan Online. Other popular series from GanGan Online include Daily Life of High School Boys and unpopular series that received an anime adaptation include Kitakubu (or Going Home Club I think was its English name)

I didn't even notice Barakamon. The one on the left is Akame no Kill.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I didn't even notice Barakamon. The one on the left is Akame no Kill.

OMG, only just realised with that that one series, a couple seasons ago had three manga that would be among the anime interesting this time. Well Nozaki-kun and Barakamon are my favourites so far and talk about Akame ga Kill seems to be increasing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12