• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ARGEVOLLEN (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I musta blinked! Wink
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
The main character already bugs the heck out of me -- I really really dislike the type of character he is: impulsive, reckless, and hotheaded. It annoys me but hopefully he'll improve.

In addition, for a war anime, the presentation of the military makes it feel not-so-military-ish.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The main character already bugs the heck out of me -- I really really dislike the type of character he is: impulsive, reckless, and hotheaded. It annoys me but hopefully he'll improve.

Circumstantially I find it ok as they follow through in ep 03 with him running out of the designated standby area with the Argevollen to save fellow soldiers on the ground, if he were already a battle hardened vet he wouldn't have stuck his neck out and simply watched in horror and let the soldiers die like dogs.

No question it was a tactically foolish move, but it proves his character has his own moral compass and he be damned if people die when he feels he has the power to do something.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote
3 episodes in and our MC is still an idiotic moron. Who the hell is in charge of recruiting if they let someone like him in the army? And i like how he is STILL never punished for disobeying orders. In the army I’m pretty sure you can get discharged for that stuff………….but oh wait! The plot device mech is what’s keeping our oh so valiant knight from becoming irrelevant!! Gah……..

This anime is still teetering on mediocre and nothing more. With MC that is able to get away with being reckless because of “PLOT” conveniences I don’t see how any development other than him getting smacked in the face would make it worth it. He needs to start learning from his actions NOW but nope apparently that’s asking to much. If your going to pull the whole naive protagonist card at least do SOMETHING with it other than the same tired tale we’ve seen over and over. Because as of now everything about the show is just barely holding itself together. I really don’t know what they are going for anymore.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
What a friggin' tool. How often are they gonna hit this insubordinate gong? Yeah, yeah, we get it - he's a morally awesome hothead who won't ever listen to an order if it conflicts with his own personal wishes. I'd love if episode 4 starts off with him being lined up against a wall and shot and we get a new MC. I am very saddened there is zero per cent chance of that happening.

Also - leaving behind an awesome new weapon (in the hands of an insubordinate tool, no less) to be part of a rear guard action where the chances of it falling into enemy hands are high? Perhaps not the best idea in the world.

And I didn't comment on it last eppie, but building an awesome new weapon that once it "imprints" with a pilot cannot be used by anyone else? Perhaps not the best design feature in the world.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 3

Yeah, the main character is an idiot. Sure he saved a few lives, but again he went against direct orders, and might delivered a powerful prototype to the enemy. There is absolutely no reason why they should let him keep piloting it if they manage to get it reconfigured or something, because his history says that he will run out and almost get himself killed. And are we really meant to believe that the "good guys" were spoiler[set up and able to shoot the rocks as they were falling from stopping them from hitting the MC]? I can put suspend my disbelief quite far, but that is silly.

And really, I don't feel that the enemy is being properly portrayed, sure enemy mechs are shooting soldiers not in mechs, but is that really evil, it is not like they surrendered.

Its like as bad as I thought Captain Earth was at parts, this has been far worse, I proclaim Hana a better character.... well after the recent episodes.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 8

HAW-HAW, DP can't count! BAAAAAAAH-KA! Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 8

HAW-HAW, DP can't count! BAAAAAAAH-KA! Wink

Where in the world did I get 8 from?

Could I reaaly have misread a "3" as "8" and typed it in? Thanks for catching it early so I could alter my post for the right number, and then have to keep a record of my mistake to remind me that I cannot count.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
I just find it amusing that in the other ongoing mech-war series a number of people endlessly complain about the MC being overly stoic in ep2 and here people complain about the MC being overly emotional.

The point of having a main character at an emotional extreme (assuming this is the plan) is to show off an eventual change.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Where in the world did I get 8 from?

Well, when you think about it, a 3 really is nothing more than an 8 with a chunk taken out.

@ FF - true enough, but when you are encountering an annoying aspect of a character BEFORE the growth comes it's hard not to comment on it. Very few of us would go, "yeah, that's really annoying but I won't mention anything about it 'coz I assume by the end of the show the character will have developed past that."
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
In *some* militaries, if you violate orders, but as a result accomplish the mission, advance the goals of the unit, etc. -- they might let it slide. But if you do that and everything goes to crap as a result, then you'll be judged more harshly. It's called "initiative", and it's not always a bad thing. It often is, though, especially when it's purely due to an emotional response and not some clever tactical plan that suddenly occurred to someone.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I just find it amusing that in the other ongoing mech-war series a number of people endlessly complain about the MC being overly stoic in ep2 and here people complain about the MC being overly emotional.

The point of having a main character at an emotional extreme (assuming this is the plan) is to show off an eventual change.

"That’s because the two are at the very extremes of showing emotion. One too hot-headed, the other, practically emotionless. It would really be nice to just to get a happy medium."

From Irenesharda on RC

He's not being emotional he's just being an idiot. And he continues to get away with being an idiot because of PLOT. I've seen this kind of character done right but this anime is doing it in an extremely mundane fashion. The change won't really be worth it if it takes forever for him to learn his lesson for once.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there is some potential here, but the writers have chosen to make it indistinguishable from your average mecha series. I can deal with some coincidental set-up. (Oh, only the first to pilot it can ever pilot it again? You. Don't. Say.) But it needs to balance with a convincing storyline and multi-faceted characters. The protagonist is annoying and takes foolish risks, but no one ever really calls him out on it. Seeing as his superior is emotionless 99% of the time, I don't see anyone stepping in anytime soon. At the very least, include some strong character reactions; have Jamie be a little torn up over the traumatizing experience she's just had or make Tokimune's personality get him in some real trouble with real consequences. It's okay to have your MC face reprimands or punishment for making stupid decisions.

I think I'll stick with this, just to see if it improves. I have a bad feeling each episode will basically play out the same, though; new battle starts, MC makes a rash decision and winds up alone against an enemy, gets angry and beats the foe, someone tells him to stop playing the hero, audience knows that's not gonna happen.

Hopefully he'll change. Please.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Now that I've seen Ep 3, I guess they're (sorta) letting him off the hook because he did spoiler[save those 5 infantry guys]. I agree that his escape at the end there was... uh... yeah. I'll just shake my head and try not to think about it too much.

But now there is, apparently, going to be a lull while the Bad Guys dig through the ONLY way (at least from that side) into a reasonably large nation. Let's... uh... yeah. I'll just shake my head and try not to think too much about it too much.

Where was I? Oh, yeah: a lull. If this is the case, then someone should finally give our MC a thorough dressing down, since the unit is no longer in immediate danger of being obliterated. Also, does anyone else think that having an expensive mech becoming locked to one person might be a horrible design idea? What's the point of creating a mind-melding interface if it makes the whole machine useless if the pilot dies or is otherwise unavailable? It's supposed to be a war machine, and people die in war... a lot. So what happens if the pilot is eating dinner in the mess hall and gets blown up by an artillery strike? That mech is now utterly useless.

At any rate, I hope that they use the lull (if there is one) to get noob hot-head some serious training. Even Rygart in Broken Blade started training the moment they had time to give him some. Whatever training the MC has received to date seems to have been... substandard.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
My self-provided explanation for the interlock thing is that it's not a design feature of the product but rather anti-piracy protection of a prototype. The company was shipping it, and didn't want anyone else to be able to use it if it were highjacked en route. Presumably production models would not have this protection, or would at least have a system to change users and store individuals' data.

Also, since it still doesn't make sense for only one pilot to be able to use it once it gets where it's going and they put on a demo for the brass, it seems like there would still be a way to unlock it, but Jamie just doesn't have that available to her (since she was the one transporting it, so capturing her with it would render the anti-piracy measures useless).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12