• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks November 2014 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:

What you have to understand Sentai doesn't do combo packs at all for their releases so in essence you are paying for the DVD's and Blu-Ray's at the same time and they give you a chipboard box and all those cheap trinkets. The DVD's on sale are usually 35 bucks the blu-rays about 42 dollars on sale.

This is what makes no sense. When you buy a combo pack, you're either going to just watch the DVDs OR the blu rays, or you just want a complete set for the collector aspect. Nobody buys a combo pack to wacth both the DVDs AND the blu rays (unless they're reviewing it to point out the quality differences). You either have a DVD player or a blu ray player. And if you have both, you would more than likely just watch the blu rays anyway.

The whole point of combo packs is so that manufacturers can kill two birds with one stone and not have to create two separate releases. Since Sentai already HAS both of these formats available, offering the two of them together should logically cost you less money. Because, again, it's not like, 'wow, I'm gonna watch every disc in this package!' No. You're either going to watch the DVDs or the blu rays and the other format is just going to sit in the case to forever rot or be sold on ebay in blank jewel cases by someone who doesn't care about having both to someone who doesn't care about packaging.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is what makes no sense. When you buy a combo pack, you're either going to just watch the DVDs OR the blu rays, or you just want a complete set for the collector aspect. Nobody buys a combo pack to wacth both the DVDs AND the blu rays (unless they're reviewing it to point out the quality differences). You either have a DVD player or a blu ray player. And if you have both, you would more than likely just watch the blu rays anyway.

True, although DVDs in combo packs are also excellent for making screenshots for avatars, banners and wallpapers and such as well as taking along when you travel, since not everybody has a computer capable of playing Blu-rays.
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
It must work for Funimation which is the only NA Anime licencor to do combo packs except the occasional LE release from NIS or AOA, every other company does not. Or they aren't losing enough money to stop the practice.

To me it seems like a stupid idea to do a combo pack since I will only watch one set and the other just collects dust. Plus I could which I don't but many do sell the other set on Ebay and now Funimation has just lost a sale. Or I could/you could give away/trade the other set and again another lost sale unit not sold.

Seems to me like a dumb business move to me to go through the trouble of releasing the show and giving half of it away to the customer for free.

At least with most of Sentai's releases and others you buy one or the other and either way they get the sale.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

This time they decide to do a dub even before the sub (on DVD only) is released? Very fishy. So basically your "cheap" alternative to getting the show on BD and dubbed will be a sub-only DVD release.

It's not that bad; Sentai cancelled the sub only Blu-ray release of Chuunbiyo in order to release a standard dubbed one later. They went ahead with the sub only DVD because ...

No idea.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac - I don't think that is correct, though. From what I understand, there are only going to be two versions available: the sub-only DVD that has already been released and the Premium Edition to come that will be dubbed and a combo pack. Do you know for a fact they will be releasing a standard BD dubbed version as well?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Blood- wrote:

This time they decide to do a dub even before the sub (on DVD only) is released? Very fishy. So basically your "cheap" alternative to getting the show on BD and dubbed will be a sub-only DVD release.

It's not that bad; Sentai cancelled the sub only Blu-ray release of Chuunbiyo in order to release a standard dubbed one later. They went ahead with the sub only DVD because ...

No idea.

I think Sentai cancelled the sub only BD release to force people to buy the more expensive BD/DVD combo. The sub only DVD release was kept because the discs had probably been manufactured by the time the dub announcement was made.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
tl;dr lots of opinions and HOTD won't be that expensive
_______

It is cheaper for shipping and inventory reasons to ship as a combo pack but I think one reason they sell is because most people consider it an investment.

Many casual users still do not have an HDTV and/or blu-ray player. By selling as a combo pack they may be more enticed into making a purchase knowing their product will be future compatible without feeling pressured to upgrade their current home entertainment system.

The biggest two reasons sentai films products are missing extras are reverse importation concerns and costs (just my opinion).

Rights holders are more willing to release downgraded products as you can see DVDs routinely come out faster than blu-rays. By ensuring the extras are missing, rights holders are more willing to sell a product at a lower price that does not directly compete with their own. I am not sure if they are purposely INTERLANCING them in 1080i out of malice but I think they are just trying to make 1 master which can be sold in Europe as well as North America.

Honestly, before girls and panzer was released in America, I sent them numerous emails telling them to release a limited product with the extras similar to Aniplex pricing, lol.

I threatened them I would not buy it if the extras were missing! I never imagined they would release extras on a separate disc like they did with the girls und panzer and kokoro connect. I am not sure what they were experimenting with or how that worked out for them but I do know a few people who bought the disc without knowing what content was on it were upset. Personally, I didn't mind and the cheap blu-ray prices they have been pushing out since then leave no room for me to complain.

HOTD will not sell for 90$, that is just the MSRP markup they usually do. Amazon might try to charge you that price for a pre-order though, lol. I don't think they expect people who already own the series to purchase it again. This is just to push the license some more on new people. Milk it while it's fresh. Maybe attack on Titan popularity is pushing HOTD? Idk.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
HOTD will not sell for 90$, that is just the MSRP markup they usually do.

According to the information that WTK posted in his OP, the MSRP for HotD will be $150. TRSI usually offers Sentai products at a 25% discount, which means its normal price there will be $112.50. During sale periods, the discount usually goes to 40% which means it would cost $90.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

I am not sure if they are purposely INTERLANCING them in 1080i out of malice but I think they are just trying to make 1 master which can be sold in Europe as well as North America.

Why would they need to make an interlaced master for EU?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't think that is correct, though. From what I understand, there are only going to be two versions available: the sub-only DVD that has already been released and the Premium Edition to come that will be dubbed and a combo pack. Do you know for a fact they will be releasing a standard BD dubbed version as well?

You're right, their real and only announcement never said anything about a standard release; That's what I get for reading some other site's reposting {this one's} of Sentai's announcement.

OK then, worry away. The only reason AoA gets away with their crap is because they only do premium releases for years so I guess we'll find out what Sentai has learned. Though the HoTD set would suggest the phrase "not much".
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

I am not sure if they are purposely INTERLANCING them in 1080i out of malice but I think they are just trying to make 1 master which can be sold in Europe as well as North America.

Why would they need to make an interlaced master for EU?

Worldwide, most HD channels on satellite and cable broadcast in 1080i. europe includes all of africa and australia in the bluray region restrictions.

Not everyone has upgraded to a progressive scan TV and are still using older televisions. Many HDTVs made in the first few years only display 1080i as a way to keep prices down. By releasing in 1080i it is the lazy man's way of saying our product works with new technology and old and we can license the same video stream that aired on japanese television to everyone in the world. *(This is the japanese firm decision, not sentai)

I am just assuming all of this, of course.
unless you have come to another conclusion you would care to share.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood did you even check out Rightstuf's listing? It says it clear as day your price $89.99 and I'll bet you that when the next Sentai sale rolls around it will drop even more than that plus a additional 10 percent if you have a membership. And if you are in the United States free shipping and no sales tax.

No one in their right mind would pay the full MSRP of $150.00 and I'm a super fan of the series. It better come with some limited artbook better or the same one and in size of the the one I own which was a exclusive with a copy of the manga magazine only sold in Japan long out of print.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Worldwide, most HD channels on satellite and cable broadcast in 1080i. europe includes all of africa and australia in the bluray region restrictions.

Not everyone has upgraded to a progressive scan TV and are still using older televisions. Many HDTVs made in the first few years only display 1080i as a way to keep prices down. By releasing in 1080i it is the lazy man's way of saying our product works with new technology and old and we can license the same video stream that aired on japanese television to everyone in the world. *(This is the japanese firm decision, not sentai)

I am just assuming all of this, of course.
unless you have come to another conclusion you would care to share.

I don't think they care about lessening the work of licensees. I think malice(deterring NA R1 reverse importation) or incompetence (sending wrong master) are more likely. Are the shows we're getting 1080i over here also being released interlaced in R2 and R3? I looked for a few shows on Amazon UK and R2 blurays don't even exist for them, so I can't establish a precedent for your theory.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Blood did you even check out Rightstuf's listing? It says it clear as day your price $89.99 and I'll bet you that when the next Sentai sale rolls around it will drop even more than that plus a additional 10 percent if you have a membership.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to understand how TRSI works. Typically, pre-orders on Funi or Sentai products are discounted at 40%. That's why right now you'd only have to pay $90. You'll note you can't use GotAnime for that pre-order.

As soon as the pre-order period is over, the regular 25% discount will apply (plus the 10% GotAnime discount if you have it). So you'll be paying around $100. If the title goes into the weekly sale section, you'll be able to buy it for $90 again, but you won't be able to use GotAnime. If there is a Sentai company sale, it will be discounted at 40% and you can use GotAnime so you'd be able to buy it for $81.

In the past few years, I've noted that a lot of Sentai titles get discounted up to 60% (or more in some cases) during the 13 days of Christmas sale. Given that the Premium Edition will not have been out very long by the time this year's Christmas sale rolls around, I would be very surprised if it gets discounted by 60% (and needless to say, GotAnime is generally not allowed to be used during the Christmas sale).

So the earliest I would guess that this collection will be offered cheaper than $81 at TRSI would be December 2015 and it might be OOP by then (since they are only producing a limited number).
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
I do know how Rightstuf works. I've been using them for years now and except for bargain bin items and Aniplex items the pre-order price will go lower during the sale if the item falls under the company the sale reflects.

Take Amagami SS on Blu-Ray it's 53.99 on pre-order right now when their is no sale going on. When their is a sale which pre-orders do qualify for at the lowest it will be 41.99 and with membership of 10 percent off along with the sale 37.79 total before shipping. How do I know this because I always buy all my items from them this way during their sales to get the lowest price possible and order enough stuff to qualify for free shipping.

To give you a example I pre-ordered a set of Blu-Rays from Funimation, Rightstuf charged me for the order and it was being shipped. Then the next day the have a Funimation sale and I call them and ask for the difference of the sale price, plus my got Anime member ship and they credited my card no problem.

I think they said if it's in within 2-3 days they will do this but that's it. Another time it was like 12 days and they said I was out of luck.

As for the Christmas/Black Friday sales that is the lowest you will get any item from them all year round, but usually never stuff that is 6 months or newer are never included in that sale ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4